Why is it so hard to find plugins?

Plugins
2009-09-26
2013-05-29
  • Andy Fielding
    Andy Fielding
    2009-09-26

Launchy's descriptions around the Web make a big deal about how useful the plugins are. But how do you find them? Launchy's website merely points you to this message forum. If you search for the name of the plugin you want, you're confronted with a bunch of messages _discussing_ the plugins, not info & download links for the plugins themselves.

There must be a better way to organize this, guys. (I'm still looking for the plugins, BTW…)

• S2s
    S2s
    2009-10-16

Agree 100%.

Even if the forum moderator just created a sticky topic of "Plug-in Links Here" where the plug-in author could post (only once, please) a link to their download page.

Thanks,

Stew

• Anonymous
    2009-12-15

**+1**

• Boris New
    Boris New
    2010-01-21

Yes this would be really useful.
    Launchy is a fantastic app and the difficulty to know what plugins are available is its only default !

• chill
    chill
    2010-01-21

Agreed, that would be very useful, not to mention is standar in many programs.

• agreed! Having a central 'repository' of plugins would make finding new ones and keeping up with new versions much easier!

• Anonymous
    2010-01-30

+1

• Josh Kinnison
    Josh Kinnison
    2010-02-05

As a user, not being able to easily find plugins is the main reason why I've stopped using Launchy so many times in the past.  I keep coming back, hoping to find that things have improved somewhat… but it seems like nothing has changed. 

As a programmer, I've considered making my own plugins.  But knowing that what I make would just get lost in this mess of a forum is really a downer.  Heck, I can't even quickly look over all the existing plugins (to see how things are done and to make sure I'm not needlessly remaking existing functionality).

To be brutally honest, this plugin problem makes the entire Launchy project seem dead.  The main Launchy program works so well for me, that any updates to it just go unnoticed.  At this rate, Launchy will just slowly become obsolete.  The Vista start menu already made a large amount of Launchy's functionality redundant.  Then add in Start++ and Launchy seems even less useful.  I'm rooting for Launchy, but it just can't win without plugins!

• Umar Inam
    Umar Inam
    2010-02-20

+1

• 2called-chaos
    2called-chaos
    2010-03-30

If the author, or the administrator of the homepage, could contact me I would code you a plugin management page. I could provide an API-access so there is a possibility to implement a plugin manager within Launchy…

Here's my offer, one mail is sufficient…

Regards,

Chaos

• Anonymous
    2010-04-01

Funny how this is up at the top.  I just installed Launchy this week again (been without it for years) and wanted to browse plugins and was frustrated how difficult they were to find.

I agree that it would help build the community by making things easier to find.
    I look forward to any improvement in plugin availability.

• Anonymous
    2010-04-10

**+1**

• Aaron
    Aaron
    2010-04-13

+1

• bege
    bege
    2010-04-17

#
    <<calledchaos

2010-03-30 23:15:18 CEST
    If the author, or the administrator of the homepage, could contact me I would code you a plugin management page. I could provide an API-access so there is a possibility to implement a plugin manager within Launchy…

Here's my offer, one mail is sufficient…

Regards,

Chaos>>

That's my DREAM!!!

• david rees
    david rees
    2010-05-02

+1, this is one place where QuickSilver really shined. You could install then go right to the plugins tab and add plugins there.

@calledchaos its open source in source forge, so I would think you can just download the source and start working on it if you like :)

• TransistOrg
    TransistOrg
    2010-06-07

The homepage launchy.net is way too small and where's the page for DOWNLOAD PLUGINs ???

oh ,,,so _here _it is.  User contributed plugins can be found in the official Plugin forms, "here." 

DOWNLOAD: LAUNCHY
    DOWNLOAD: SKIN
    DOWNLOAD: PLUGINS

how hard is it ???

thanks for Start++ reference,

• Fn Ord
    Fn Ord
    2010-06-18

Forums are a HORRIBLE way to distribute software. Truly, deeply awful.

The latest posts sort to the top, any software releases get mixed in with dozens of posts with requests for support, general questions, spam, etc.

You can't even search a single forum at SF.net.

This project deserves better.

• Simon
    Simon
    2010-06-18

Indeed. If anyone fancies contributing I'd suggest they contact Josh directly rather than via the forums. I believe his free time is somewhat limited at the moment.

In the mean time, whilst I appreciate that the forums aren't the best way of organising things, it's all we've got for now so it'd be a good start if someone could summarise the available plugins, what they do and where they can be downloaded. Any amendments and improvements to the readme or any other documentation included with Launchy would also be gratefully received.

• 2called-chaos
    2called-chaos
    2010-06-18

My offer still exists. I think it's better to think about a structure and make a concept first. I suggest to make a conference with interested people and collect ideas.

Then I would code a little page and after that you directly can add all the available plugins into a backend. As I plan all my databases in light of flexibility it is also possible to easily export the data from the database to any format you need.

Mfg,
    Chaos
    PS: written on my iphone

• Simon
    Simon
    2010-06-18

I'd gladly accept it, however it's not my project, nor do I have access to the launchy.net site. If you've not received a reply from Josh, I'd suggest emailing him again.

• mete
    mete
    2010-07-27

I don't develop any plugins(nor am I a part of the Launchy developer team)  but I could start and manage a non official Google group for the plug-ins, because these forums are obviously not working too well for us. 100 MB quota Google gives would be more than enough to host all the documentation and plugins.

What are your thoughts on a Google group? any objections?/suggestions?

• Josh
    Josh
    2010-08-05

Sorry all for being offline so long.  I've got some time over the next few days and I'm putting together a revamped webpage for Launchy.  It needs more wiggle room and it certainly needs a page for plugins.  I'm going to start with baby steps and start by simply linking to plugins (and a brief description) on the homepage.  As you guys suggested.

Plugins themselves are a bit of a mess right now.  I'm hoping to add qtscript support soon (read javascript) so that plugins are cross-platform, have no binary compatability issues, and are easier to write (no compiler needed).  That should make it easier to create and distribute plugins.

The new page (which looks like the old one, only has a menu), can be seen at http://test.launchy.net

You'll notice that at least the skins page is updated.  Next come plugins.

Josh

• This is great news. Any means of easier finding our plugins is more than welcome :-)

Don't know about qtscript though, because I don't know how would I port my plugin to some scripting language. But, that's implementation detail. If users of Launchy get better and easier plugin experience, it is definitely the way to go :-)

I've also got another idea. Plugin manager, that is also plugin itself, distributed in official Launchy package. This plugin would read bunch of plugin developers submitted XML files stored somewhere on Launchy site. These files would contain plugin name, description, version and download link. Plugin manager would show plugin list in options dialog and also have means of downloading and installing plugins. For all this to work, default plugin directory would have to be changed in Launchy to something that ordinary app has permission to write to (for example %APPDATA%/Launchy/plugins on windows or ~/.launchy/plugins on Linux). After that users would have all plugins just a click or two away, and developers would just upload new XML file when they release new plugin. This is just an idea, I have no time currently to write such a plugin, and as I said, Launchy would have to be updated for it to work anyway. Maybe something to think about for Launchy 3?

Anyway, having just links on Launchy's homepage would be huge improvement from current  state, so, yes please, go with it :-) And thanks for Launcy, its is single most useful app that I've been using for last 5 years.

• bege
    bege
    2010-08-05

Great news, indeed.

With respect to the plugin manager suggestion, I want to remember of this post in this thread!

#
    calledchaos

2010-03-30 23:15:18 CEST
    If the author, or the administrator of the homepage, could contact me I would code you a plugin management page. I could provide an API-access so there is a possibility to implement a plugin manager within Launchy… Here's my offer, one mail is sufficient… Regards, Chaos