Launchy2Skype plugin

Plugins
Donatas
2010-03-07
2013-05-29
  • Donatas
    Donatas
    2010-03-07

I've developed plugin to open Skype chat windows from launchy, saves me quite some time and clicks :)

http://home.spurgius.com/launchy2skype/

• Donatas
    Donatas
    2010-03-10

There was a missing dll in zip file of archived plugin. If you tried it and it didn't work for you this most probably was caused by the missing dll.

Let me know about your experiance in comments here. Thanks!

• Anonymous
    2010-03-11

There should be a read me txt file to help user understand where to extract the files.

• Anonymous
    2010-03-11

Sorry for confusion. It works for me now.
    Skype version 3.8.32.115. OS: Windows XP SP2

Thanks a lot.

• Nero
    Nero
    2010-03-14

Any chance you could whip one of these up for Trillian Astra? :)

• Amadawn
    Amadawn
    2010-04-21

I just found about this plugin and it really is a pity that it does not work with Launchy 2.5. It seems that the problem is that the "Launchy#" plugin does not work anymore. Is that true?

It would be great if this worked again!

mdonatas, have you tried contacting Josh or Simon (the Launchy developers) to get some help on compiling your plugin for 2.5?

Cheers,

Amadawn

• Donatas
    Donatas
    2010-04-22

Hey Amadawn. With help from Launchy# developer kshahar this issue was solved.

Get Launchy 2.5 compatible version here http://home.spurgius.com/launchy2skype/

• Amadawn
    Amadawn
    2010-04-22

mdonatas,

thanks for the heads up. I just tried and I cannot get it to work :-( Launchy keeps freezing. I tried going to the plugins tab on the launchy options, but when I click on Launchy2Skype the iterfaces freezes as well.

Also, is it normal that the plugin is replacing QtCore4.dll?

Thanks,

Amadawn

• Amadawn
    Amadawn
    2010-04-22

Actually now it seems to be working. This is quite weird. Perhaps it needed to rescan the catalog for it to start working?

Also, I do not understand what is the meaning of the two text boxes that you can see on the Launchy2Skype plugin panel.

• Amadawn
    Amadawn
    2010-04-22

mdonatas,

in your web page you ask for suggestions on how to improve the plugin. One thing that would be cool is to be able to select whether you want Launchy to show conversations and contacts or only contacts.

Also, it would be nice to be able to select a contact, hit tab, type a message and hit enter and have that message sent to the contact automatically.

Finally, it would be cool to be able to create "Aliases" so that you could call your contacts by a different name or nickname than their actual Skype name.

Other than and the little problems I found when installing it this is a really cool plugin! :-)

Amadawn

• Donatas
    Donatas
    2010-04-23

amadawn,

To answer some of your questions and clear out the things you noticed :)

Launchy2Skype needs better management of acquiring data from Skype. It asks for two kinds of data: contacts and chats. Getting contacts is fast as usually there aren't that many of them while getting all chats and then for each one of them getting their status (dialog or group chat) and whether you are still in them and finally thei friendly names, takes a lot of commands. Basically that is the freeze you've seen. I'll try to find a way to speed tings up or at least a way to not lock the UI.

QtCore4.dll was compiled using same version of QT that is used in Launchy 2.5 and only one line of code was changed. The one that prevented loading .NET DLLs. This should not interfere with other plugins.

Boxes in the options dialog are doing absolutely nothing :) They were already removed in my dev build. I'll add options instead to select whether you want to search among groups or only or among contacts or both.

Finaly, thanks for all suggestions. As you can see I've already started inmplementing this one One thing that would be cool is to be able to select whether you want Launchy to show conversations and contacts or only contacts. :)

• Donatas
    Donatas
    2010-04-25

I've just updated Launchy2Skype to have some options and to not lock up during comunication with skype.

Hope you'll like this :)

http://home.spurgius.com/launchy2skype/changelog.html

• Amadawn
    Amadawn
    2010-04-26

This is awesome, mdonatas! Using the new version I was able to disable the contact group lookup. Now the plugin returns results really quickly and I do not see any noticeable slowdown of Launchy whatsoever. Amazing stuff! :-)

If I may make another suggestion, one thing that I often do is send files to people through skype. One thing that would be really cool is if you could somehow leverage the searching and file browsing capabilities of launchy to select the file that you want to send to someone via skype.

Since I already suggested a feature in which you could directly write chats from Launchy, perhaps you would need first to select the contact and hit tab. Then select between "Open in skype", "Send chat" and "Send file" and hit tab. And finally, if you selected "Send chat" you could simply type the chat line and hit Enter, while if you selected "Send file" you could type the name of the file to append and hit Enter to send it.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Amadawn

• Donatas
    Donatas
    2010-04-27

Hi, Amadawn,

Skype API doesn't support sending files. Theoretically it should be possible to fake file being dragged and dropped on to chat window but that would be an ugly hack.

As for sending a message directly from skype that should be possible although it's not as straightforward as it may seem. I'll consider this feature request for the future releases.

• Amadawn
    Amadawn
    2010-06-09

Hi again mdonatas,

I have recently noticed that there is a small problem with the launchy2skype plugin when you configure Skype to use the "compact mode". In this mode each Skype chat is put on its own chat window. When use this skype configuration, when you use the launchy2skype plugin to start a conversation with a contact, the chat window is open in the background, and it does not get the focus and you cannot start typing right away.

Do you think that there could be a way to make it so that the plugin makes sure that the conversation window gets the focus automatically?

Thanks!

Amadawn