Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Chrome Bookmarks Added to weby.dll

Plugins
2010-05-24
2013-05-29
  • Jason Viers
    Jason Viers
    2010-05-24

I've made customizations to the weby plugin to add support for bookmarks from Chrome.  You can grab the new weby.dll here:
    http://home.beanalby.net/launchy.htm

Note that this .dll was built with Visual Studio 2010, which relies on different runtime DLLs than Launchy. You must have msvcr100.dll available to use it. If you run launchy and the updated weby doesn't appear on your list of plugins, please install the Visual Studio 2010 Redistributable, available below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

This Chrome will (hopefully) be added in the future to the stock launchy installs, so this won't be necessary.

• Jason Viers
    Jason Viers
    2010-05-24

Note that this currently only supports Windows; I don't know how to determine the proper linux/mac paths to the Bookmarks file, otherwise I'd add it in.

• with this plugin application is crashing while rebuilding the catalog :(
    have to back to the native plugin…

p.s.: Windows7 32bit, Launchy 2.5, Chrome 6.0.472.14 dev

• ecps
    ecps
    2010-09-12

I am afraid that I too find that rebuilding the catalog with the new weby installed causes Launchy to crash. As with the previous poster everything is OK with the original plugin.

Vista 32bit, Launchy 2.5, Chrome 6.0.472.55

• Bryan Creel
    Bryan Creel
    2010-09-23

Rebuilding the catalog works fine for me on XP x86.

• Jason Viers
    Jason Viers
    2010-11-08

Good news everyone!  I've realized I'm an idiot!  You can re-download the plugin and it should work for everyone.

The "building the plugin with Visual Studio 2010" shouldn't have worked at all, it's lucky coincidence that it did work for those who did.  I hunted down a copy of Visual Studio Express 2005 and built with that, it should all be good now.

• ecps
    ecps
    2010-11-08

Thank you beanalby - success! I have installed the new weby.dll and everything works as it should - brilliant!

• ecps
    ecps
    2010-11-08

Sorry - I spoke too soon. Using the new weby.dll the catalog scans correctly (no crashes) and finds the new bookmark which I added to Chrome. Using Launchy to launch the bookmark, however, does not work. Chrome opens at the default homepage instead of at the bookmarked page. So for 'success' in my previous post please read 'partial success' and insert the word 'nearly' after 'everything'. :-). Hopefully this is a minor glitch which can easily be sorted out. Thanks again.

• Jason Viers
    Jason Viers
    2010-11-08

> Using the new weby.dll the catalog scans correctly (no crashes)
    > Chrome opens at the default homepage instead of at the bookmarked page.

Glad to hear it - "doesn't work right" is much easier to troubleshoot than "it crashes" :)

If you bring up launchy and type in the name of  your bookmark, but hit "down" instead of "enter", it should show a list of keyword-url matches beneath the window (try it with a launchy target that does work to see how it's supposed to look).  Does the URL listed there for Chrome Bookmarks match up with what you expect to open up?

• ecps
    ecps
    2010-11-08

The URL appears highlighted correctly in the Launchy list but hitting 'Enter' opens up Chrome at the homepage.

This only occurs in bookmarks which have been created in Chrome. Those which have been created in Firefox and IE previously open in Chrome (now my default browser) as they should.

To try to replicate the error:
    Set Chrome as the default browser
    Create a bookmark in Chrome to a web page which has not been previously bookmarked in any browser before
    Do a catalog scan in Launchy
    Restart Launchy
    Type in the bookmark name and it will appear correctly at the top of the list
    Hit Enter (for me this opens my default Chrome homepage)

If it is any further clue to the problem - If I change my default browser to Firefox or IE then the Chrome created bookmark does not open up. IE reports: Cannot find 'http:'. Make sure the path or internet address is correct.

I hope that this helps.

• Jason Viers
    Jason Viers
    2010-11-10

Re-download and you should be good.  Really.  This time I mean it.
    http://home.beanalby.net/launchy.htm

I had fixed a bug shortly after the original release of launchy, but I didn't re-generate my patch file.  I applied the patch file to this new setup, forgetting it inherited that bug.  Also turns out that i had firefox bookmarks turned on, so when I tried testing this I thought it worked, when it was actually pulling out FF bookmarks.

Let me know if it works for you, sorry about that!

• ecps
    ecps
    2010-11-10

Absolute success!

Many thanks - Greatly appreciated as it makes a very useful program even better!

• Jason Viers
    Jason Viers
    2010-11-10

> Absolute success!

Glad it finally worked for you.  I'm also currently looking at the feasibility of importing the "Search Engines" listed in Chrome into Launchy (as I use a lot of custom ones).  The way it's stored is a lot more hairy, though, so it's iffy at the moment.

• locke23
    locke23
    2010-12-14

Thank you so much!  This is great!  I hope it's feasible to integrate the Chrome search engines as well, because I use them far more than I do bookmarks.  Launchy could go so far as to replace the Chrome address bar! 

• > I'm also currently looking at the feasibility of importing the "Search Engines" listed in Chrome into Launchy (as I use a lot of
    > custom ones).  The way it's stored is a lot more hairy, though, so it's iffy at the moment.

The search engines are in the Web Data file, which is an sqlite database. (Search Engines are in 'keywords' table.) If you include sqlite libraries (http://www.sqlite.org/) then you should be able to simply do a "select * from keywords" and you'll get what you're looking for easily.

Also, if you can include Chrome bookmarks support on Mac, that would be great. They are in a structured text file, location: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks.

• Jason Viers
    Jason Viers
    2010-12-24

you should be able to simply do a "select * from keywords" and you'll get what you're looking for easily.

Of course windows makes it more difficult. :)  Chrome holds that file open the whole time it's running, so opening it from launchy with sqllite libs fails.  I'm poking around with it though.

Also, if you can include Chrome bookmarks support on Mac, that would be great. They are in a structured text file, location: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks.

Sure, I'll look into adding that.  I'm guessing it's a JSON file, like the bookmarks on other platforms?

• > Sure, I'll look into adding that.  I'm guessing it's a JSON file, like the bookmarks on other platforms?

Yup, it certainly is JSON.

• Avellanas
    Avellanas
    2011-01-07

This is great. Thank you!

• Ryan
    Ryan
    2013-03-05

It;'s now called chromy

• tesre
    tesre
    2013-04-25

Guys,
    does anyone encounters crashes using it?
    I tested in on two different machines and launching bookmarks for chrome
    it causes Launchy to crush.

I send email to author but no response.

I would provide some logs but not sure if its possible, cant see any in Launchy dir

regards
    sad user

• Anonymous
    2013-04-25

Odd, I didn't receive a mail.  Are you using the latest chromy from http://beanalby.net/projects/chromy/ , rather than the old weby.dll overwrite?  There was a time where weby.dll was compiled with the wrong c runtime and caused random crashes.

• tesre
    tesre
    2013-04-29

Definitly using the freshest one.

Maybe its my fault with the email.

Tell me how can i help you to fix it?
    I just installed it on my mate's  machine will let you know.