Sync Launchy db to other PCs

dohboy
2012-10-17
2013-05-29
  • dohboy
    dohboy
    2012-10-17

Would like to customize Launchy database on one PC and keep the database in sync with Launchy running on other PCs. Not successful, thus far, and looking for advice from others: (1) is it possible to sync Launchy databases, period, and (2) is there a better solution than I have tried? Attempted using Dropbox folder C:\Users\(user name)\Dropbox with subdirectory added, \Launchy db\ . Tricky because db appears located at C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Launchy . As a result, attempted to create directory symbolic point (using Windows Sysinternals "Junction" utility) "C:\Users\(user name)\Dropbox\Launchy db" as symbolic link to "C:\Users\(user hame)\AppData\Roaming\Launchy". Used at administrator cmd prompt: "junction C:\Users\(user name)\Dropbox\Launchy db C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Launchy". I welcome your feedback.

• dohboy
    dohboy
    2012-10-18

I found my solution.

Answers: (1) Yes. It is possible to sync Launchy databases. (2) There is a "pain-free" solution I used. The two How-To Geek articles were helpful, "Complete Guide to Symbolic Links (symlinks) on Windows or Linux" and "Sync Your Pidgin Profile Across Multiple PCs with Dropbox". I installed, "Link Shell Extension (LSE)", after I installed prerequisite, "Visual Studio 2005 Redistrbutable" (both available for Win7 x86 and x64). To start, exited "Launchy" and moved default database location from C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Launchy to create new folder in Dropbox, C:\Users\user name\Dropbox\Docs\Launchy. Next used LSE extension (accessed from context menu, i.e., right click) to select C:\Users\user name\Dropbox\Docs\Launchy as, "Pick Link Source". Then, used LSE to select C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\ for action, "Drop As…", "Junction". As result, symbolic link C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Launchy was created and points to the actual content of C:\Users\user name\Dropbox\Docs\Launchy. With this symbolic link, any changes to Launchy on one PC are sync'd to another PC with the same Dropbox and symbolic link setup.