Launch4j is a cross-platform tool for wrapping Java applications distributed as jars in lightweight Windows native executables. The executable can be configured to search for a certain JRE version or use a bundled one, and it's possible to set runtime options, like the initial/max heap size. The wrapper also provides better user experience through an application icon, a native pre-JRE splash screen, a custom process name, and a Java download page in case the appropriate JRE cannot be found.
* Launch4j wraps jars in Windows native executables and allows to run them like a regular Windows program. It's possible to wrap applications on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris!
* Also creates launchers for jars and class files without wrapping.
* Supports executable jars and dynamic classpath resolution using environment variables and wildcards.
* Doesn't extract the jar from the executable.
* Custom application icon with multiple resolutions and color depths.
* Native pre-JRE splash screen in BMP format shown until the Java application starts.
* Process name as the executable filename to easily identify your application, initial priority and single aplication instance features.
* Works with a bundled JRE or searches for newest Sun or IBM JRE / JDK in given version range.
* Opens Java download page if an appropriate Java version cannot be found or a support website in case of an error.
* Supports GUI and console apps.
* Supports Vista manifests and XP visual style manifests.
* Passes command line arguments, also supports constant arguments.
* Allows to set the initial/max heap size also dynamically in percent of free memory.
* JVM options: set system properties, tweak the garbage collection...
* Runtime JVM options from an .l4j.ini file.
* Runtime command line switches to change the compiled options.
* Access to environment variables, the registry and executable file path through system properties.
* Set environment variables.
* Option to change current directory to the executable location.
* The JRE's bin directory is appended to the Path environment variable.
* Custom version information shown by Windows Explorer.
* GUI and command line interface.
* Build integration through an Ant task and a Maven Plugin.
* Lightweight: 26 KB!
* It's free and may be used for commercial purposes.
* Includes a sample application and Ant script that automates the build process from Java sources to native executable.
* The wrapped program works on all Windows platforms (98/Me/NT/2K/XP/Vista), Launch4j works on NT/2K/XP/Vista, Linux, Mac OS X (build on 10.4) and Sparc Solaris 8-10.
This program is free software licensed under the BSD license, the head subproject (the code which is attached to the wrapped jars) is licensed under the MIT license.
Launch4j may be used for wrapping closed source, commercial applications.
Changes in version 3.0.0-final (16-03-2008)
* FR #1390075 Added dynamic initial/max heap values.
* FR #1707827 Allow to prefer JDK private runtimes over JREs (Ian Roberts).
* FR #1730245 Allow to run only a single aplication instance (Sylvain Mina).
* FR #1391610 Added IBM JRE/JDK support.
* Added environment variable expansion in bundled JRE path.
* Fixed critical bug #1882524 JRE detection problem on 64-bit Windows.
* Fixed bug #1758912 Vista elevation to full administrator privileges.
* Fixed bug #1784341 Problems with spaces in paths under Linux (Michael Piefel).
* Fixed bug where /bin was appended to path environment variable instead of jre_path/bin.