Launch4j is a cross-platform tool for wrapping Java applications distributed as jars in lightweight Windows native executables. The executable can be configured to search for a certain JRE version or use a bundled one, and it's possible to set runtime options, like the initial/max heap size. The wrapper also provides better user experience through an application icon, a native pre-JRE splash screen, a custom process name, and a Java download page in case the appropriate JRE cannot be found.
* Launch4j wraps jars in Windows native executables and allows to run them like a regular Windows program. It's possible to wrap applications on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris!
* Also creates launchers without wrapping jars.
* Doesn't extract the jar from the executable.
* Custom application icon with multiple resolutions and color depths.
* Native pre-JRE splash screen in BMP format shown until the Java application starts.
* Process name as the executable filename to easily identify your application.
* Works with a bundled JRE or searches for newest JRE / SDK in given range.
* Opens Java download page if an appropriate Java version cannot be found.
* Supports GUI and console apps.
* Passes command line arguments, also supports constant arguments.
* Allows to set the initial/max heap size.
* JVM options: set system properties, tweak the garbage collection...
* Runtime JVM options from an .ini file.
* Access to environment variables and executable file path through system properties.
* Option to change current directory to the executable location.
* The JRE's bin directory is appended to the Path environment variable.
* Custom version information shown by Windows Explorer.
* GUI and command line interface.
* Build integration through an Ant task.
* Lightweight: 18 KB!
* It's free and may be used for commercial purposes.
* Includes a sample application and Ant script that automates the build process from Java sources to native executable.
* The wrapped program works on all Windows platforms (98/Me/NT/2K/Xp), Launch4j works on NT/2K/Xp, Linux (developed and tested on SUSE 9.3, CentOS 4.1), Mac OS X (build on 10.4) and Sparc Solaris 8-10.
This program is free software licensed under the GPL license, the head subproject (the code which is attached to the wrapped jars) is licensed under the LGPL license.
Launch4j may be used for wrapping closed source, commercial applications.
Changes in version 2.1.5 (21-07-2006)
* Changed the Java download site to http://java.com/download.
* Now it's possible to use absolute and relative paths to specify the embedded JRE.