kyraDaniel
2005-10-11
2013-06-04
  • kyraDaniel
    kyraDaniel
    2005-10-11

Hi people,
      Sorry my English.
      Anybody knows why when I create a tile happen error in the access to memory? For example, I write: tile WALL and enter then happen the error. I need Kyra for a academic project, but if I don't correct this error will be impossible use it.
      Thanks!

kyraDaniel

• Lee Thomason
      Lee Thomason
      2005-10-11

Daniel --

Could we have a small code snippet?

lee

• kyraDaniel
        kyraDaniel
        2005-10-13

Hi Lee,

I didn't code. I just was using the sprite editor of Kyra. The problem is I load a picture and after when I go create a tile happen the error. To see it try create a tile using Kyra and you will see. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ .NET. The problem can be the Visual C++. I don't know.
             Thank you Lee!

Daniel

• Lee Thomason
      Lee Thomason
      2005-10-13

Ah -- you found a (surprising) bug in the Sprite Editor. Hmm..I'll take a look.

Workarounds:
      1. use a Sprite. (Sprites are easier to use than tiles anyway.)
      2. load via an XML file directly. See the docs on "KyraXML"

lee

• kyraDaniel
      kyraDaniel
      2005-10-14

Lee,

The game I am doing is a isometric game like BEM. Then I think that tiles, in this case, can be better. What do you think?
           Thank you for your help!

Daniel

• kyraDaniel
        kyraDaniel
        2005-10-14

Hi again,

Lee, does BEM use tile or sprite for define the floor?
             Thanks!

Daniel

• kyraDaniel
      kyraDaniel
      2005-10-14

All right, I found BEM use sprite. Then I think sprite is a good option for isometric. But now the problem is: When the encoder create bem.dat the file bem2.xml has the floor. The encoder then load bemFloorTile2.pcx and start to create actions like:
      NONE.ROT000, NONE.ROT090. But this actions there aren't in the file bem2.xml. Hence I don't get(obtain) create my floor using other picture because I don't know create this acions. Why this? What do I do?
      Thanks!

Daniel

• Lee Thomason
      Lee Thomason
      2005-10-19

Daniel --

Yes, the KrSprite is a good choice for Isometric layout. (The KrTile won't work at all, actually.)

The '.ROT000' results because rotation is specified in the XML file. It is automatically generated rotated tiles. If you don't need rotated tiles (and you probable do not) just remove the "Rotation" attribute.

lee

• kyraDaniel
      kyraDaniel
      2005-10-21

Where can I find the complete game of BEM? Is it possible find it? The reason is because I want to see the final result of a game like BEM. When we see a complete game we have a better idea of that is possible to do.
      Thanks,

Daniel 

• Lee Thomason
      Lee Thomason
      2005-10-22

Daniel --

BEM, the game, is not open source. And not even build on Kyra! (Kyra was build from BEM, actually.)

In any case, the bem demo (bemgame.cpp) has lots of good stuff on how to set up an isometric world.

lee

• Lee Thomason
      Lee Thomason
      2005-10-29

Daniel --

On the original bug - the Tile crash - there seems to be a bunch of bugs that slipped through. I was able to easily repro the bug you reported.

lee

• Lee Thomason
      Lee Thomason
      2005-11-01

A fix is in CVS. Bug in the Rectangle class, of all things. I'll get a new version out soon.

lee

• kyraDaniel
      kyraDaniel
      2005-11-21

Lee,

There is any complete game build from Kyra? 

Thanks,
      Daniel