KXSTITCH where

Gordon
2011-08-16
2013-05-20
  • Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-16

Hi

I am new to this and hope I am in the right place. I am trying to get kxstitch for kde4, I have read about a git and am wondering how i find, download and install the latest version. I am running LMDE so it might not work anyway but I would like to give it a try. By the way I am not a code/programmer person mearly an end user.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Gordon

• If you go here this will show the git commits with the latest ones at the top.  Click on the snapshot link at the end of the top log entry, this will allow you to download the latest source code as a tarball.

Untar it and cd into the folder created.  There is a build script, run it with ./build.sh, you need to have cmake installed along with the KDE and QT development packages.  You will also need the ImageMagick and ImageMagick++ development packages.

When building is complete, you will be asked to enter the root password to install it.  When it is installed run it from the command line with the command kxstitch, or it should appear in your desktop menu.

Note that this version is no where near as feature complete as the KDE3 version, but I am working on it.

If you have any problems, let me know.

Regards

Steve

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-17

Hi Steve,

I installed cmake and ran ./build.sh and got the following

a7n8x kxstitch-eb192b9 # ./build.sh
    - The C compiler identification is GNU
    - The CXX compiler identification is GNU
    - Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
    - Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc - works
    - Detecting C compiler ABI info
    - Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    - Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
    - Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ - works
    - Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    - Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:98 (MESSAGE):
      ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
      /root/.kde/share/apps;/usr/share/kde4/apps
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package)

• Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
      make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
      make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

I have checked my usr directory and /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake is there
    /usr/share/kde4/apps  is there with cmake inside it

I can't access  /root/.kde/share/apps. It says that I don't permissions even though I am doing it as root. What am I missing please ?

Cheers

Gordon

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-17

Hi Steve

Just done some more searching and can't find

cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake

in any of the kde4 folders/directorys

Gordon

• Gordon

I have the file /usr/share/kde4/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake and it came with the libkde4-devel-4.4.4-3.6.1.x86_64 package.  Have you installed the devel packages for KDE4 and QT4?  It should exist if you have.

Regards

Steve

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-17

HI Steve,

I don't seem to have that file, no luck on the search anyway. Package manager doesn't seem to have it in either nor can I find it with aptitude.

I have found on the internet

libqt4-dev_4.7.3-5_i386.deb
    qt4-x11_4.7.3-7.debian.tar.gz
    QT_SDK_lin32_online_v1_1_2_en.run

Will any of these do ?

Cheers

Gordon

• Do you need to enable another repo to get the development stuff?

You really need to have the same sources that were used to provide the libraries that you have installed.

Which version of Mint do you have, I will download at the weekend and see if I can sort it.

Regards

Steve

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-19

Hi Steve,

I am currently on LMDE using Incomming repro's but I am thinking of going back to testing repro's.

I have downloaded kde-full from the package manager but am using gnome as my front end. I have not found a way to switch between gnome and kde yet and don't know if I can or need to

Cheers

Gordon

• You shouldn't need to run a full KDE desktop.  It will be sufficient to have the libraries installed, however it is necessary to have the development files for these libraries.

I will download a copy of Mint tomorrow and install it on a virtual machine and see if I can get it to work.

Regards

Steve

• Gordon

I downloaded the LMDE xfce version, I assume the gnome version will be comparable.  After installing, I also installed the following packages:
    kdelibs5-dev
    cmake
    git
    libmagick++-dev
    The build script will then work and compile and install the kde4 version of kxstitch from git.

Hopefully this should work for you too.

Regards

Steve

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-20

Hi Steve

Well I checked and installed all the programs that you said. Some of them seemed to install while others said there was nothing to install, upgrade or remove. Anyway it has got futher than before but it seems tohave stopped again here is the latest

a7n8x kxstitch-eb192b9 # ./build.sh
    - The C compiler identification is GNU
    - The CXX compiler identification is GNU
    - Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
    - Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc - works
    - Detecting C compiler ABI info
    - Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    - Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
    - Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ - works
    - Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    - Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
    - Looking for Q_WS_X11
    - Looking for Q_WS_X11 - found
    - Looking for Q_WS_WIN
    - Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found.
    - Looking for Q_WS_QWS
    - Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
    - Looking for Q_WS_MAC
    - Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
    - Found Qt-Version 4.7.3 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
    - Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so;/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so;/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so
    - Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so;/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so;/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so - found
    - Looking for gethostbyname
    - Looking for gethostbyname - found
    - Looking for connect
    - Looking for connect - found
    - Looking for remove
    - Looking for remove - found
    - Looking for shmat
    - Looking for shmat - found
    - Found X11: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so
    - Looking for include files CMAKE_HAVE_PTHREAD_H
    - Looking for include files CMAKE_HAVE_PTHREAD_H - found
    - Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
    - Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
    - Looking for pthread_create in pthread
    - Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
    - Found Threads: TRUE
    - Looking for _POSIX_TIMERS
    - Looking for _POSIX_TIMERS - found
    - Found Automoc4: /usr/bin/automoc4
    - Found Perl: /usr/bin/perl
    - Found Phonon: /usr/include
    - Performing Test _OFFT_IS_64BIT
    - Performing Test _OFFT_IS_64BIT - Failed
    - Performing Test HAVE_FPIE_SUPPORT
    - Performing Test HAVE_FPIE_SUPPORT - Success
    - Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_W_OVERLOADED_VIRTUAL
    - Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_W_OVERLOADED_VIRTUAL - Success
    - Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY
    - Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY - Success
    - Found KDE 4.6 include dir: /usr/include
    - Found KDE 4.6 library dir: /usr/lib
    - Found the KDE4 kconfig_compiler preprocessor: /usr/bin/kconfig_compiler
    - Found automoc4: /usr/bin/automoc4
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:91 (MESSAGE):
      Could NOT find ImageMagick (missing: ImageMagick_FOUND)
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:252 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
      /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindImageMagick.cmake:175 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
      CMakeLists.txt:6 (find_package)

• Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
      make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
      make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

Is this what it it supposed to do and what is the next move

Cheers

Gordon

PS Sorry to keep bothering you but I am learning all the time.  G

• Apart from the base install and those packages I mentioned, I didn't install anything else.  I will have a look tomorrow at what else is installed with regard to ImageMagick and post it.  I'm on my laptop at the moment and vmware doesn't seem to be working remotely with mint.

• These are the ImageMagick packages that are installed on the version I have:
    imagemagick
    imagemagick-common
    libmagick++-dev
    libmagick++4
    libmagickcore-dev
    libmagickcore3
    libmagickcore4
    libmagickcore4-extra
    libmagickwand-dev
    libmagickwand3
    libmagickwand4

Regards

Steve

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-21

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I have checked up and some of the list was missing so I have tried to install them. I seem to have some sort of problem with ImageMagic as I get the same messages as before so I swapped back to testing repo's to see if that will cure it. My grand children have arrived fotr a few days so I wont be able to sort it as they want windows so I will get back to you later

cheers for now

Gordon

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-25

Hi Steve,

Good news. I have at last got KXStitch to load but it was a bit of a struggle for me, not your fault I hasten to add, but a problem with LMDE and ImageMagick. I have had to go to an unstable version of LMDE to get it to download all the files that you said ti would need but i have got there in the end. It looks great !! All I have to do now is to learn how to use it and report crashes which it did immeadiatly I tried to look at changing the floss pallet to another brand. Still a minor problem as I don't want any of the pallets that you use at the moment.  I  use Appleton Wools as I am trying to make rugs and cushion couvers. Well thanks for all your help in getting it sorted out, now to try and sort out how to configure KMAIL so that I can repot problems that crop up.

Once again thanks for all your help and continued success to you and your project

Cheers

Gordon

• Good to know that you finally got it running.

There is no reason to use kmail to report problems, use whatever mail client you usually do, just copy and paste
    any error logs that come up.

Regards

Steve

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-08-31

Hi Steve

I hope you get this. I have tried your emaill addresses ( fsnet, which I located via search, and your …adl24 ) but they both keep getting bounced back to me saying that they can't be delivered. If you recieve this perhaps you would let me know what address I should email problems / fault reports to. I have saved three crash reports to send but with no luck so far. I use googlemail and attach a file perhaps that is the problem. I dont have any luck either with trying to set up kmail.

I have a problem with your latest git and printconfig.  I can load printconfig successfully and I can load your latest git master successfully but not both. One always removes the other nomatter in which order I do them.

Cheers

Gordon

• Gordon, my apologies regarding email.  I have been away for a week and my email server has been off line.  The back up server with my ISP should have been getting the mail instead, but that doesn't appear to have worked.

My address is stephen.at.mirramar.adsl24.co.uk and should be working fine now.

Regarding git, printconfig is a separate branch of the code.  It will, as you have found, remove the master.  The intention of making it available was to get some views on it.  It isn't intended to replace master at the moment, but will eventually merge with it when it is more robust.

Regards

Steve

• Gordon
    Gordon
    2011-09-05

Hi Steve

Thanks for that. Ok on the printconfig. Sorry for not rep[lying earlier but Grandchildren whre here, just gone home. Will try your email as soon as I have finished this

Cheers

Gordon

• Joan Teixidó
    Joan Teixidó
    2011-10-12

I'm sorry but, where is the snapshot button to download the code.

A days ago I have download it but now i don't see.

Thank you.

• Sourceforge have removed the snapshot links.

Instead you can use git to clone it with the following command in a terminal/console window.
    git clone git://kxstitch.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/kxstitch/kxstitch

It will create a new folder in which ever folder you are currently in.

Regards

• Joan Teixidó
    Joan Teixidó
    2011-10-20

Thank you Sallewell.