translation

2009-02-15
2013-05-20
  • Brian Stidsen
    Brian Stidsen
    2009-02-15

I would like to (help) translate kxstitch, namely to danish. Is this possible?

• Of course it is.  No one else has volunteered for this and I would be grateful for any effort that you can make toward it.

If you are not familiar with KDE translations then there are some resources available for the KBabel tool which should be used to manage the message catalogue translations.

If you need any help, I will do my best to do so, although I am no expert with KBabel I have used it to do the en_GB translation.

If you can complete the translation then you can send it to me and I will add it to the KXStitch sources.

Regards

Steve

• Hi,

I am willing to try to translate KXStitch into Polish bit I have no idea how the process looks like eg. I do not know which files are to be translated. I installed KXStitch on Ubuntu10.04/Gnome. Does it make a difference?

This software is worth translating into ALL languages!

Juliusz

• UPDATE!

I found the 'poedit' software. It makes the translation very easy. Is this the right way just to translate the .po file and send the translated pl.po to you Steven? What about the help files?

J

• Firstly, in a shell in the source folder (you did install from source as I recall).  type the following commands:

make -f admin/Makefile.common package-messages
    make package-messages

This will create a kxstitch.pot file in the po folder and update any of the existing po files with any new messages.
    Copy the kxstitch.po file to pl.po, this will be the Polish translation file.
    Then use kbabel if you have it to edit the messages. poedit appears to be a generic po file editor, but may do just fine.

If you want to do the help files too, copy the doc/en folder as doc/pl.  You can then edit all of the text elements of the docbook files into Polish, leave the tags as they are.  Create new screenshots of the included images.  The contents of the image aren't important as long as it conveys the same message.

If you can get it done then please package them up into a tar file and send to my email address.  I will then include it in the next release.

Thanks for getting involved and making a contribution.

Regards

Steve

• Hi,

I translated the pl.po file in poedit. It saves two files .po and .mo. I wanted to test whether the translation works but got lost somewhere… When I switched kxstitch to polish - both primary and fallback (i don't know what fallback does) the only Polish word in program menu bar appears on position Library=Biblioteka. The rest is in English.

The dropped down menus eg. File - more the half of the options - Open, Save, Print etc.  are still in English (the options unique to kxstitch are in Polish)
    Is there something else needing translating separate from kxstitch? or are they hidden somewhere in the .docbook files?

J

• Did you rerun ./configure, make and make install?  You will probably need to do the configure to update the makefile in the po folder so that it sees the new pl.po file.  There should also be a pl.gmo file which gets created by make.  The mo one may be for something else.  Regarding the general KDE options, file->open, etc, do you have the polish language pack installed for KDE?

Regards

Steve

• Hi Steve,

I think you are assuming too much of my knowledge of Linux. I am using it just for three weeks.
    I installed the ('Lokalize' is this the same as 'KBabel'?). When Lokalize is switched to Polish all menus and options is in Polish…

The thing is that most of the dialogs in kxstich are in Polish the main menus are not.

I did run the ./configure, make and sudo make install.

From the messages of ./configure in terminal there was no line referring to the 'pl' directory only 'nl' and 'en' and last few output lines are:

checking if po should be compiled… yes
    configure: creating ./config.status
    wrong input (flag != 4) at admin/conf.change.pl line 117, <> line 1381.
    config.status: creating Makefile
    config.status: creating doc/Makefile
    config.status: creating doc/en/Makefile
    config.status: creating doc/nl/Makefile
    config.status: creating kxstitch/Makefile
    config.status: creating kxstitch/pixmap/Makefile
    config.status: creating po/Makefile
    config.status: creating config.h
    config.status: config.h is unchanged
    config.status: executing depfiles commands

Good - your configure finished. Start make now

I have no idea about the 'wrong input (flag!=4) is this something? does the .pl refer to Polish or something else?

make, while running, seems is not entering the /doc/pl as if the pl directory did not exist…

Because I am not fluent in those things I get easily lost.

eg. How do ./configure and make know that there is the pl? Is it found, is it coded somewhere to look for it or just entered by hand?

How to change the make install (Makefile?) so it installs the files into /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML rather than in /usr/share/doc/HTML?

I am not even sure if I do it right calling make as: 'sudo make install'. The  make install complains about write protect directory…

I am progressing well with the translation of the strings. There could be one issue though: for the .po files there is no problem cause it is done with poedit or Lokalize. The .docbook however I am editing with gedit - what if I mess up just one tag somewhere? Would it show up?

Thanks

• re the kde polish pack install what I did is:

sudo apt-get install language-pack-kde-pl
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

Both ran ok.

then reinstalled kxstitch

Thanks

• KBabel is a translation tool like poedit but is specific to KDE.  The pl in the wrong flag message refers to the file that generated the message, it is a perl script and isn't anything to do with Polish.

The po folder contains the applications translation files initially as .po files, for polish this would be pl.po, which are then compiled into .gmo files, e.g. pl.gmo.  The Makefile.am file in the po folder specifies the po files to process, this is set to auto and will process all po files.  The Makefile.am file is processed and turned in to the Makefile.in file by using the command

make -f Makefile.dist

While writing this, I realised you will need to do that step as you have added a new source file to an existing release.  It is something that I would normally take care of when preparing the release package.

When you run configure the Makefile.in file is processed to produce the final Makefile which is then processed by the make program to compile any files, in this case po to gmo, and make install to install the files to the correct place.

You need to run make install as root, as you have found sudo does this.  The reason is you are installing files into system folders and as a regular user, you can't do this.

The doc/en and doc/nl folders are the manual documentation and the Makefile.am file in the doc folder contains a list of sub folders to be processes.  If you have copied the en folder to a pl folder in doc, you need to add this to the Makefile.am file so that the line
    SUBDIRS = en nl
    becomes
    SUBDIRS = en nl pl

You will also need to edit the Makefile.am file in doc/pl folder so that the references to en are changed to pl in all the file paths and change the KDE_LANG = en to KDE_LANG = pl

You may notice in the Makefile.am file that there is a $(kde_htmldir) which is used as the base of the documentation path.
    you can use the command

kde-config -install html

to find out where that is supposed to be.  Out of interest are you using KDE3 or KDE4?  As a KDE3 application KXStitch help files may be installed in one place, but KHelpCenter, if it is KDE4, may be looking somewhere else.  There is a kde4-config command that does the same thing for KDE4, try that too if you have it.

After running the make -f Makefile.dist,  which will update the Makefile.in in doc/pl/
    You will then need to do the configure, make and sudo make install.

Once this is done, you should find anything you have translated should show up in Polish.  Hopefully!

• Thank you Steven. I will follow your suggestions, keep searching and informing.

I the rush an information may get easily lost… I am not using KDE desktop I am running Gnome and this is probably? why I have the problems with the 'Preview' (other thread) and parts the documentation - but we are getting there.

It all slowly starts to make a sense - I am learning the intricacies of Linux. Even though my KXStitch install is not up to scratch yet I am using it and I feel it must be translated (most of it done and in the stage of being reviewed). The more I find out about the KXStitch the better it becomes.

It becomes difficult to comprehend the amount of work you put in developing it.

Regards

• I am aware you aren't using the kde desktop, but there will be kde libraries installed and these will be kde 3 or 4 or even both.
    If you open the help center and in the help menu, there is an About KDE option, click on that and it will tell you which version of the kde libraries are being used.

I have had a look over the email you sent me, and if you can send me the contents of the doc/pl folder and the pl.po file.  I will add them to my sources and update the build.  I will try and see if it works on my kde desktop.  I am also downloading the install cd for ubuntu 10.4 and I will install it to a virtual machine and try building kxstitch on it.

I have spent a lot of time over the years on the development and it is great to get feedback on problems, it can only be beneficial to make kxstitch even better.  I am also very grateful for your input regarding the translation.

Regards

Steve

• Antal László
    Antal László
    2012-03-10

I started the Hungarian translation