A few thoughts for your team

2001-07-07
2001-08-28
  • Edward Ropple
    Edward Ropple
    2001-07-07

Great idea, in my opinion. However, you may want to take a few things into account:

If you're planning, like you said on the News in gamedev.net, to put it on PlayStation2, beware of OpenGL. The Emotion Engine, while very powerful, does not use OpenGL APIs. Hence, there might be a problem - most PS2 developers I've spoken to/met with build their own engines. Just a thought.

~Ed

• brandon
      brandon
      2001-07-09

thanks for the comments. Playstation doesnt seem likely at the moment. We are probably going to concentrate on Win32 and Linux for the time being now that we know that Playstation isnt to viable. Thank ye!

• Mikey Lubker
      Mikey Lubker
      2001-07-09

I would like to do a version for PS2 Linux maybe.

Ratchet

• brandon
      brandon
      2001-07-12

cool. We may be able to support PS2 unintentionally and without any (little) extra effort!

• Mikey Lubker
      Mikey Lubker
      2001-07-12

Yes sounds good to me!!!

Ratchet

• id R
      id R
      2001-07-16

Have you guys considered any other APIs to use?  If you want a cross-platform product, you might want to look into using cross-platform tools.
      My personal suggestion is SDL, which I think is also mentioned here on sourceforge, but if not, check them out at http://www.libsdl.org.
      It's a cross-platform C/C++ library, with bindings to several other languages available.  Its latest release can talk to the Linux PS2 graphics chips a little, and it has support for optional OpenGL.  Might help out a lot...

• Mikey Lubker
      Mikey Lubker
      2001-07-16

We're already probably going to work with SDL some.

Ratchet

• Edward Ropple
      Edward Ropple
      2001-08-27

Any of you know CodeWarrior C, for the Mac (sorry for bringing evil things up) because it ports like a dream. Just about the only language it can't port to well is Visual C++. If any of you've heard of Spiderweb Software, their Exile games were made on CodeWarrior for the Mac, then ported - in under two months, I've been told - to PC, and it took them maybe four for a Linux port. Also, I have some connections in the XBox developers, in case you're interested in porting there. I can probably get a lot of questions answered on that score.

• Mikey Lubker
      Mikey Lubker
      2001-08-28

I am interested in porting to all - All Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris, Amiga, NeXT, BeOS, JOS, Mac, XBox and PS2.

PS2 - 2 ways - PS2 Linux, and PS2 Java.

Ratchet