Page Cannot Be Edited For An Unknown Reason

Help
N DECKER
2008-12-22
2013-04-03
  • N DECKER
    N DECKER
    2008-12-22

When I open a web page in Komposer, when it loads an alert box comes up with the phrase 'Page Cannot Be Edited For An Unknown Reason'.

This alert usually doesn't appear on new pages, but on older ones I reuse for other purposes.

What am I doing that is causing this alert box to appear? It is very inconvenient to not be able to edit at will.

• Paul Kruger
      Paul Kruger
      2008-12-24

Check to be sure those files are not write-protected. ( Read Only )

• Steve Lawrence
      Steve Lawrence
      2009-01-05

Is this the first page you read into Kompozer in the session?  If so this might help.

I have seen this error with Kompozer 0.7.10 on a page with an untitled floating frame.  Kompozer created the page to start with, but then refused to edit it for an "unknown reason" after I quit and restarted.  I found a workaround:

Create a blank page -- nothing on it, or very little on it.  Save it on your system.

Next time you start kompozer, read the blank page in *first*.  (That will be the first tab in Kompozer's window.)  The next page you load will go into Kompozer's second tab, of course.

For no reason I can explain, when I do this -- read a blank page first, and *then* read the page which "could not be edited" -- Kompozer is happy to edit it.

• morgan thomas
      morgan thomas
      2009-03-30

This happened when I embedded a photo display code from Flickr. While editing, I put comment out <!-- --> around the embedded code, and took it off when finished.

• KisKedee
    KisKedee
    2009-09-17

I get the same message with 7.10 &amp; 7.7. I even tried 8.xx, it didn't give the error message, but it couldn't edit the page either. The file is not Read Only and I did try a decoy page. Does anyone know or have a solution for this problem?

• Please send a copy of the file you can't edit with KompoZer. We can't help you without this.

• KisKedee
    KisKedee
    2009-09-21

How do I send a file to be looked at for your help?
    I didn't see an Upload button anywhere on this page.
    Thanks.

• Cameron
    Cameron
    2012-12-11

I got the same error message and would like to say thanks to morganjmt and salaw, both of their solutions worked for me.