Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Project compiled, now what?

Help
2010-03-29
2013-04-16
  • Adrian Cheater
    Adrian Cheater
    2010-03-29

Hi. I downloaded the source for Knitter 0.4.99 for my netbook. It took a little doing but I eventually got the thing to compile (Had to drop the depth buffer option to 16 bits, and fixed a dReal to GLFloat conversion error. However, once the application was built I was unable to get it to create any renders that looked even remotely like your screenshots.

I also installed the binary package on my windows machine, and I'm still not getting anything out of the render window.

Could you give me a sequence of steps to perform that should render one of the sample patterns? I'd be happy to send you screen shots and the knitter.log files from both platforms. My wife knits, and this application is basically what I wanted to write for her, so I'd love to help improve the software and fix bugs.

• Dane Wagner
    Dane Wagner
    2010-06-06

Thanks for your interest, factoid79, and sorry it took so long to reply.  Once I finish this reply I'm going to make sure forum posts actually get through into my email…

The screenshots were taken without too much fiddling.  I just tried to load up simpleCable.pat which was what I used to generate the blue and green screenshot.  Either I've broken something in the simulation or in the pattern because it looks like a mess now.  However, simple.pat is a really simple swatch and seems to simulate OK for me.  Here's the instructions for loading it (I'm intentionally being very specific; obviously if you were able to fix my double/float conversion problems and get the depth buffer straightened out you already know this stuff, but I want to be sure I'm not leaving anything out):

1) Run the program. You shouldn't get any errors (although I have a workaround in the latest version that will generate an error that can be ignored if your screen doesn't allow for 32-bit depth buffers).
    2) Go to File->Open or click the top left icon to bring up a dialog box.
    3) Select simple.pat and hit open.
    4) You'll get a tight little knot of stitches that don't look like anything. That's because they've all been placed in the center in zero time and haven't had time to relax into fabric.  Hit the 'play' button on the toolbar to start time advancing.
    5) The fabric should widen out and fall as the stitches first move to their fixed locations and the fall as gravity does its job.

If everything goes right, you should see the fabric sort of unroll from the horizontal axis.  It'll eventually hit its full length and bounce a little.  The stitches on the top will continue to vibrate (they pretty much never stop; this is an artifact of the physics engine).

Let me know if that helps!

• Dane Wagner
    Dane Wagner
    2010-06-10

There seemed to be two problems with the cable pattern. One was an issue with the stitches being fixed on the wrong sides after the cable, giving it a twisted look. The other was a bug in the main knitting code regarding loop-holders.  Both should be fixed in CVS now.  The new ODE simulation call causes the simulation to vibrate much more than it did before, so you still won't get a really good quality render yet.  My next goal is to work in mass and size controls to the GUI, then make a new release with the fixes in place.