German dewiki (2014-02-08) for download

Anonymous
2014-02-17
2014-02-20

• Anonymous
    2014-02-17

Hello

I created an actual (8. Februar 2014) german wiki without pictures zim-file for kiwix for free download (3.3 GB):

http://7fw.de/kiwix/dewiki-2014-02-08.zim

frank

• Dmitriy
    Dmitriy
    2014-02-18

Danke, gut :)
    Size zim-files for Wikipedia DE was smaller than file for WikiTaxi(4,8 Gb december 2013)
    ftp://oss.tambov.ru/discs/3/wikipedia/Taxi-files/dewiki.taxi

How long did it take to download WDE and how to create a zim-file?

Nearly 3 million articles!
    $ zimdump -F dewiki-2014-02-08.zim
    count-articles: 2986880
    uuid: 66fd5908-2a5f-807f-8b8f-5b7264ba1633
    article count: 2986880
    mime list pos: 80
    url ptr pos: 168
    title idx pos: 23895208
    cluster count: 186977
    cluster ptr pos: 241316967
    checksum pos: 3474787776
    checksum: 0c6f37ed0239ce24a897a3e1285c3c01
    main page: 2798113
    layout page: -

• franc walter
    franc walter
    2014-02-18

How long did it take to download WDE and how to create a zim-file?

I cannot exactly say how long it took, because it was a struggle with this buggy download script mwoffliner.js
    I say buggy but it is maybe just not enough developed, too basic, so it crashed often and the download stopped till I noticed again.

Summarily maybe after all the real download was long enough, maybe 10 days pure download, maybe more. And I have a fast internet connection, the slow end is the wikipedia (or the script).
    In the end phasis I used the new version with reddis, so maybe this is faster, maybe it doesn't change things.
    The creation of zim was much faster, maybe half a day only.
    My problems with zimwriterfs were less than with mwoffliner.

But now, just when I wanted to start to change this mwoffliner script (if I would understand it) I got news from Aard developer "Igor Tkach", who developed a new tool to download an aard version of wikipedia (for Android - better/faster than Kiwix on Android) so I stopped my forces here on kiwix.
    Igor is "a bit" more helpful and cooperative than the kiwix developer ("this all is not for the end user") which makes it much more interesting for me to shift to aard for the next offline wikipedia creation.

Here is a "end user" How-To for aard:

http://aarddict.org/aardtools/doc/aardtools.html

If there are problems, no problem to ask in the aard mailgroup (googlegroups) for help:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups&hl=de#!forum/aarddict

Igor is really very helpful, for developers and for end users.

frank

• Please stop complaining all the time without providing anything valuable to the project, this really starts to bother me. If you think aarddict is more adapted to your needs, simply use it and deal with them, instead of being rude with people who have helped you here.

• franc walter
        franc walter
        2014-02-20

Please stop complaining all the time without providing anything valuable to the project, this really starts to bother me. If you think aarddict is more adapted to your needs, simply use it and deal with them, instead of being rude with people who have helped you here.

Yes, you are right. Indeed, you helped me.
        And after all, I promised to test the result in the wiki, which I didn't do yet.

In a while, I will restart the mwoffliner to provide an actual dewiki again as my contribution for this project, as well as providing a download on my server.

Last edit: franc walter 2014-02-20
    • Dmitriy
      Dmitriy
      2014-02-20

The main - successful at making a zim-file.
      Tool "mwoffliner" even the version number has not yet!

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments