Installing Packages

kile
2008-08-22
2012-07-03
  • Wondering Why
    Wondering Why
    2008-08-22

This is the first of many questions I have,

I use to use texnic center on windows - just switched to Kile on Linux...

How do I install packages. Tried it via the wizard but to no avail.

Thanks

• dvase
      dvase
      2008-08-22

I am not aware of a way to install LaTeX packages directly using KIle. Assuming that you are now using a *nix system and the TexLive LaTeX distribution, your package manger should have most of the required packages (e.g., in Ubuntu see the gui program called 'synaptic' or command-line program called 'apt-get'). Alternatively, if you're not opposed to compiling source code, you can install a command-line version of the MikTeX tools, see http://miktex.org/unx/Default.aspx

• Wondering Why
        Wondering Why
        2008-08-22

Thanks chaps, I will have a look at both. Really appreciate the guidance.

• Wondering Why
          Wondering Why
          2008-08-23

I down loaded the appropriate packages via synaptic and I was able to compile - finally. You chaps rock. Many thanks

• Toby Reynolds
      Toby Reynolds
      2008-08-22

If you still have your Windows system you can simply copy the folders/files of the packages you need from your Windows TeX installation into the corresponding place in your Linux texmf tree, and then type "sudo texconfig rehash" (or "sudo texhash") in the terminal to update your libraries.
      This is what I have always done as I didn't realise packages were available through the repositories; however, that is probably a better way so I will try it from now on, but copying from Windows could still be an option for more obscure packages.