Latex highlighting mode and refresh structure

kile
Mth01
2004-12-01
2012-07-03
  • Mth01
    Mth01
    2004-12-01

I have been using Kile for many version. The new version 1.7.1 is giving me some trouble.

1. When I select "refresh structure" I do not see the structure of my latex files.

2. No matter what schema and highlighting mode I select, I can't get the nice latex highlighting mode from previous kile versions. For instance $ x^2$ should be a different color than normal text.

• Mth01
      Mth01
      2004-12-02

I just compiled it with any errors
      1) When I run 1.7.1 it starts out saying /usr/local/kile1.7.1/bin/kile &
      [1] 12087
      68-173-198-236 <tmp> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 11957, errno = 0
      ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 12064, errno = 0
      kbuildsycoca running...
      Reusing existing ksycoca
      Could not create directory for pipe : File exists
      Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

2) Then it says kile 1.6.3 even though it is 1.7.1
      3) now I have the option to choose latex-kile, before I did not
      4) I still can't get any structure to show up in the left window, only the list of files in a directory.

I think the problem must lie in the dependencies used. Perhaps you should make the configure routine a little more strict. In the past I have compiled kile, and installed rpms and have seen different behavier.

• It seems you have multiple installations of different versions of Kile around.

Also, you cannot correctly run Kile without installing it.

The LaTeX-Kile syntax highlighting is from kile-1.6.3, apparently you have that installed somewhere.

I suggest you uninstall all RPMs of kile you have installed and then install kile-1.7.1.

best,
        Jeroen

• Hi,

1. What do you mean exactly? The structure view is shown, but after selecting Edit->Refresh Structure it is gone? Or is it never shown?

2. You should select the "LaTeX" hl mode, the "LaTeX-Kile" hl mode was renamed to "LaTeX".

How did you install Kile? Especially issue 2 suggests a faulty installation.

best,
      Jeroen

• Isaac
      Isaac
      2004-12-01

to solve point 2 just crate a new document using the Wizard. After this, the highlighting mode will work fine.

I have Suse 9.1 and I have installed Kile from kile-1.7.1-5.tcousin.i586.rpm.

If you find it useful, please submit it as a bug.

• I am curious, how do you create a document if the highlighting is not working ok?

best,
        Jeroen

• Mth01
      Mth01
      2004-12-02

I never see the structore. Perhaps it is a faulty installation. I used the DRIES rpm reprository for kile1.7 and I am running fedora core 2 with KDE 3.2.2.8 FC2 Redhat.

I'll try compiling from the source and report back.

• Mth01
      Mth01
      2004-12-02

"am curious, how do you create a document if the highlighting is not working ok"
      I am using latex files that were previously created. I have my own headers and never used the wizard.

• And if you open such a LaTeX document, it is not highlighted? At least, that is what I understand from you previous response. What is the extension of this file?

best,
        Jeroen

• Mth01
      Mth01
      2004-12-03

The extension is .tex
      Since I am running fedora 2 now, perhaps I'll try again after going to fedora 3. Thanks for your help. For now, I'll go back to 1.6.3 which has been working very nicely in my setup. I have to finish my math PhD thesis by next month and don't have too much time right now.