Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Accented characters and Kile

kile
mf625
2004-09-23
2012-07-03
  • mf625
    mf625
    2004-09-23

I am using a QWERTY classic keyboard (us layout) and Kile to write a french document and I am looking for a way to type the accented characters, something simlilar to vim (digraphs) or emacs (Mule and its own 8859-1 prefix/postfix input methods).

I can switch the keyboard to french layout from kde control center, and ideed it works, but I am forced this way to type blindely using a french layout with an US keyboard.

Any help much appreciated!

M.

• mf625
      mf625
      2004-09-23

Inded, after googling a little I found a page that explains how to setup the compose key and how to use it under kde, and it works!

Thanks a lot!

M

• This is not a Kile issue actually, you can type accented letters in any KDE app:
      You can select a keyboard layout with sticky keys, then after typing 'e these two characters will be replaced by .
      You can also use a "compose" key, google for more info. I'm not an expert on keyboard issues.

hope this helps,
      Jeroen

• Gour
        Gour
        2004-11-12

>This is not a Kile issue actually, you can type accented letters in any KDE app:
        You can select a keyboard layout with sticky keys, then after typing 'e these two characters will be replaced by .
        You can also use a "compose" key, google for more info. I'm not an expert on keyboard issues.

In the past I was using LyX and entering accented chars (e.g. Sanskrit diacritics) with modified Xmodmap and Mode_swich mechanism, e.g. to get
        'r' with belowdot accent, I'd press Mode_switch + '.' + 'r' keys and LyX would draw the accent on the screen (there was however some problems since I was using latin-2 encoding to easy enter Croatian chars, but e.g. 'macron' accent is not defined in latin-2).

Now, the dead-key mechanism is broken in LyX and I see no intention to fix it, so I'm looking at Kile.

My understanding is that this is an editor-issue and the problem is that for many Sanskrit diacritics there are not many fonts available and therefore I can get only empty boxes on the screen (LyX was solving this by drawing accents), but my question is if it is possible to somehow 'teach' Kile that after I press Mode_switch (AltGr key) + '-' key + 'r' which should produce dead_belowdot+r char, to get TeX equivalent: \d{r} ?

Sincerely,
        Gour

• It it sort of possible. You can make a User Tag (in the LaTeX->User Tags->Edit menu). Then edit the shortcut for this user tag in Settings->Configure Kile.

However, it should be no problem to type these characters directly in almost any KDE editor, including Kile. Be sure you use a UTF-8 ready font though.

best,
      Jeroen

• Gour
        Gour
        2004-11-17

> However, it should be no problem to type these > characters directly in almost any KDE editor, >including Kile. Be sure you use a UTF-8 ready >font though.

Thanks for reply.

It works nicely by directly typing in editor.

Sincerely,
        Gour