No idea

Anonymous
2013-10-30
2014-04-23

• Anonymous
    2013-10-30

I have no idea out to use this thing. The tutorial shows a screen shot but gives no indication of how to get to that operating page. How disappointing.

• Anonymous
    2013-10-30

I don't where to find the KH Coder window shown on page 4 of the tutorial.

I am using Windows 7.

• HIGUCHI Koichi
    HIGUCHI Koichi
    2013-10-30

OK.

1. Download the "khcoder-2b30e-f.exe" here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/khc/files/KH%20Coder/2.Beta.30/

2. After the download is done, double click "khcoder-2b30e-f.exe" and click “Unzip” Button

3. Click the “start” button (flag button on the bottom left corner of the screen), input “C:\khcoder” to the “Search programs and files” entry, then hit Enter key. The “khcoder” folder should be opened now.

4. Double click “kh_coder.exe” or “kh_coder” in the opened “khcoder” folder.

Last edit: HIGUCHI Koichi 2013-10-30

• Anonymous
    2013-10-30

Thank you. I hadn't seen any-where where it said the program had to be down-loaded to be used.

• Anonymous
    2013-10-30

I successfully downloaded and installed KH Coder. It appears to work fine with the example in the quick start tutorial. But then I imported a another text file from my own source. When I tried to run pre-processing it returned a message "something wrong with the database: bun_r table" then the program just shut down. Can anyone help me out of this alley.

• HIGUCHI Koichi
    HIGUCHI Koichi
    2013-10-31

Hmm, you have to prepare a plain text file (*.txt) as a "target file" for KH Coder. Not Word (*.doc *.docx) or PDF (*.pdf). And the encoding of the text file should be something like "Latin-1," "ISO 8859-1," "US-ASCII," or "Plain ASCII."

Also, be sure that the text file doesn't contain any tab characters or any other control characters other than "line feed." And you should delete "<," ">" and "\" from your data. To delete those characters, text editors like notepad++ are very useful.

Last edit: HIGUCHI Koichi 2013-10-31

• Anonymous
    2013-10-31

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them out and see what happens. I hope this will be the solutions I need, since the program looks to be the kind which would fullfill the kinds of things I wish to do. Thanks again.

• Anonymous
    2014-04-22

I successfully downloaded and installed KH Coder. I tested the Botchan file and it worked fine. The text I'm analyzing is from a listserv. I deleted all the <, >, \ and I am still not able to complete the run. I repeatedly get the same message: Something wrong with the database: bun_r table KH Coder will exit now. Will it help if I attach my text file and the coder_data folder sent to me for your review?

• HIGUCHI Koichi
    HIGUCHI Koichi
    2014-04-22

Yes, your text file would be helpful. I don't need coder_data folder for now.

Last edit: HIGUCHI Koichi 2014-04-22
  • HIGUCHI Koichi
    HIGUCHI Koichi
    2014-04-22

It seems that there were many non Latin1 characters in the text file. To delete those characters, I opened the text file with Word 2010 and save it as a text file in "US ASCII" encoding (I checked the "Allow character substitution" option).

Then it's OK with KH Coder. I attach the edited text file.

Last edit: HIGUCHI Koichi 2014-04-22

• Anonymous
      2014-04-22

Thank you for the corrections. I'll follow your suggested steps for processing the next file. Do you think the excess URLS are causing the non-Latin1 character problems?

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments