KH coder to create word cloud

Anonymous
2013-08-25
2014-03-21

• Anonymous
    2013-08-25

Hi. Firstly, a word of appreciation for your software. It is really great! Can KH coder be used to generate a word cloud? The frequency list feature is already there, but as far as i could gather, all the graphic options are only for word association analysis.

Last edit: Anonymous 2013-11-26
  • HIGUCHI Koichi
    HIGUCHI Koichi
    2013-08-25

Hi. Thank you for your post!

For example, by using the “bubble plot” option in the multi-dimensional scaling command, you can visualize both word associations and word frequencies:
    http://khc.sourceforge.net/en/gallery/pages/image/imagepage8.html
    You can also do this in co-occurrence network command as you can see in the attached screen shot.

On the other hand, word cloud can visualize word frequencies only. That’s why I have not implemented it so far.

Anyway, you can use R to make a word cloud.

1. Go to “Tools,” “Words,” “Descriptive Stats,” “TF-DF Plot” in the menubar of KH Coder.
    2. Save it as a “R-source” (*.r) file.
    3. Execute the *.r file in R.
    4. Execute following command in R.

library(RColorBrewer)
      library(wordcloud)
      wordcloud(
          hoge[,3],
          as.numeric(hoge[,1]),
          min.freq=3,
          random.order=F,
          colors=brewer.pal(8,"Dark2")
      )

About step 2 and 3, this slide may help.
    http://www.slideshare.net/khcoder/example-of-using-r-1-exporting-the-result-of-correspondence-analysis

In step 4, you may change “min.freq” value to change the number of words that are plotted.

Do you think KH Coder better have a GUI command to make a word cloud?

Last edit: HIGUCHI Koichi 2013-08-25

• Anonymous
    2014-03-20

Hi Koichi,

I think KH coder is great. I don't know why it took me so long to find it considering how easy to use it is. I think people use word clouds a lot at the moment as they are very easily viewed and understood by people with no statistical background. It would be great if you could add a gui command for it. I think the second picture you attached looks great.

• HIGUCHI Koichi
    HIGUCHI Koichi
    2014-03-21

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your encouraging feedback.

Although KH Coder is a statistical tool, I think I understand what you are saying. Maybe, I am going to add the functionality as a plugin command in the next update.

Best regards,

p.s.
    BTW, the second picture is not "word cloud" but "co-occurrence network." So you can make it with "co-occurrence network" command of KH Coder.

Last edit: HIGUCHI Koichi 2014-08-16

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments