Menu

Do you use KeyNote?

Ken Rushia
2007-03-12
2013-04-08
<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2007-07-12

Yes, indeed! I've been using keynote for several years, since the original author was still working toward a version 2. I use Keynote for: address book; journal; general information index (life organizer); project management (mostly migrated to Flyspray now); configuration management; userid/password vault. -- Alltogether about 5MB of keynote data spread across 2 keynote files. It's quite indespensable.

Kenote and Quicken are the only two Windows hosted applications I still use regularly and I use them both from a Win2k guest in a VMWare Server virtual machine on Ubuntu Feisty (7.04)now; otherwise my household is a Microsoft free zone. It works for me, but I'd just as soon not have to run a Win2k guest.

When the original author abandoned Keynote I was disappointed. I was looking forward to version 2. I did look at the source code but was turned off by Delphi, some proprietary libraries and other things. I really didn't want to take it on.

Recently I looked at a number of Linux native applications: NoteCase, BasKet; ... others. I am running converted Keynote files in BasKet now as an experiment and am not entirely happy with it. So, I'll likely continue with Keynote in the Virtual Machine. ... BTW, the Keynote to BasKet data port is very simple and requires no data manipulation between the export and import steps. See my comment on one of the "wish list" tickets on how to do the export/import step.

I have lotsa C experience and a little C++ experience. I looked at wxWidgets as an application framework. wxWidgets is cross platform; has many of the requisite features: MDF; hierarchical indexing; RTF; HTML; and other GUI goodies. wxWidgets coupled with Mozilla's NSPR or Apache's APR    and maybe the Nettle encryption libraries might make a cross platform reimplementation of Keynote feasable. ... Whenever I think about this, I sit down and wait for the thought to go away. I have too much to do.

Regards,
    Rex "yes, it's a pseudonym" Karz

• LennartAa

LennartAa - 2007-07-12

Oh man ... i was surfing and by accident i came across this forum!

I'm a very, very very dedicated user to! I use it for my college dictations, ideas, some administration etc etc etc. Everything you can think of! Even under Ubuntu i can run Keynote I've 1 big and 4 little keynotefile's. Until now, i didn't find any good successor to keynote. So I really hope this project will be reborn again.

If you want to know if there's enough eagerness (is this the right word?) you should ask this question on alt.comp.freeware. There are a lot of people over there who still searching for a successor on Keynote. Last year it seems that Seonote would be the successor, but Seonote isn't reliable (the files are huge! 10 mb for some nodes)

If you start to rebuild Keynote a)nd make a decent product i surely will donate some money as thanks! (but keep it opensource, please!). I think that i'm not the only one who would do this ... hey man, you could be rich ;-) (and yes, i try to convince you ...;-)

• Martin Roth

Martin Roth - 2007-07-12

I also use keynote - there still is no other program as replacement.
    One of the best programs ever!

Lord Myschkin

• CGG

CGG - 2007-07-13

KeyNote has been an indispensable tool for many years. I also frequently use the kntconvert.exe plugin! Looking forward to using KeyNote 2 in the very near future!
    Colin
    Durban

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2007-07-20

KeyNote is an indispensable part of my life. I use it to organize projects, what to do next, as a general calendar and to keep references (from links to useful stats) - somewhat following the GTD method. The ability to organize everything in one central place is what makes KeyNote so powerful.

Without KeyNote I'd not be able to be involved in so many projects. In a certain way, KeyNote and GTD have changed my life and of those around me for the better.

As in other posts above, from time to time I also search for an hopeful new version of KeyNote and for other similar tools, but none compares in features and ease of use. It's a very well designed application that will keep being used for as long as it runs on Microsoft OSes. Than being said, I hope KeyNote can evolve one way or the other.

- It is much appreciated over here.

Best Regards,

Jorge Diogo

• C Kueh

C Kueh - 2007-07-28

Yes! I was a user of KeyNote for the longest time until 6 months ago when I VERY reluctantly switched to Treepad due to a number of minor but very irritating interface issues. That, and the fact that the application was, to all intent and purposes, dead and fast becoming a footnote in freeware history. If development were to resume, I would not hesitate to jump back on board. So please, do continue working on this fine outliner which has been a great help to so many Tranglos fans.

I await impatiently!

• ulukai3

ulukai3 - 2007-07-28

Yes, still using KeyNote. And probably there is muuuuch more people who are using KeyNote, they just didn't find this small forum. And also don't forget that not only current users will use "NewNote :)".

Anyway, please go on, make this great tool live again. And if possible, do it in some clever coding language, so it is lightweighted, FAST and flexible in terms of future changes in OS (so it will run on next OS too) and in HW (so it will support 64b one day - not that small/fast tool as keynote could make any use of 64b "features").

Thanks

• Nick

Nick - 2007-07-28

Yes, I still using KeyNote!!!

• Andrew Sasak

Andrew Sasak - 2007-07-31

I discovered it from here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#45 (I found the list of free utilities in the comments of a digg post). I had been trying to use FreeMind as an alternative to paper, but hadn't found it as helpful as I had hoped. It just seemed to get too messy.
    Since KeyNote has been so active and after reading somebody reply to this post about the drawbacks to keyNote, I decided to try the alternatives to KeyNote listed in the freeutility list. They seemed to have limited capabilities, so now I'm trying KeyNote, and it seems quite good. I'm going to keep using it to see if it can help keep me organized.

• thepdaman

thepdaman - 2007-08-02

I have been using KeyNote for about a year and find it is a great program.

• NextDayCopy

NextDayCopy - 2007-08-06

YES!!!
    I just recently discovered this.
    I got hungry for the old outliner tools of the past (More, ThinkTank) and did a search on the internet for them and came across keynote.
    I am a writer, and I use it for my writing projects.
    I tried using MindManager -- but it's such a darn behemoth that context-switching takes so long that it isn't nearly as useful.

I worked previously as a programmer.  I remember using the outline tool in Word when writing up documentation for some code I wrote.  I always thought it would be nifty to have an outliner as a means of helping navigate around code -- but I haven't used the current tools in quite some time, so maybe that's not necessary now.  But the idea to take what would be one programming file and collapse the code so you could see all the routines/classes at a highlevel and then drill down to just the one you wanted would make programming so much more efficient, and more of a feeling of mastery of the code, more quickly.  Can you imagine what it would be like to have that facility when you came upon sources for a project and you needed to learn the structure of the code? 

I could imagine how you might even be able to create a facility that does this -- each code file could be a node, the routines/classes subnodes with the actual code in the note.

I was already loving the program, and then I discovered the "capture clipboard" feature! ZOWIE!!!  What a help for when I'm doing research for a writing project!  And not only do I get the clipboard contents, I can have the name of the source put in as well??
    Man -- that would have been awesome for school papers...

Okay, Okay, I'll stop now.

Great program!

Live JoyFully!

Judy

• sracer

sracer - 2007-08-09

I still use it... it is an invaluable piece of software and try as I might, I cannot find anything that offers the flexibility and speed of it.  But it does have an appearance that is very, very dated. 

What I ended up doing was to create an icon-set for KeyNote that has a similar look-n-style to the ones used by SEO Note.  The results help make KeyNote look fresh.

Here’s a link to a zip of the .icn file.  Just unzip and place it in the directory where you installed keynote.

http://www.percontifamily.com/speedzone/keynote-icn.zip

• Ken Rushia

Ken Rushia - 2007-08-09

Did you make these icons, or did you copy them from somewhere?  Just curious if they are open source and can be used in a future Keynote build.

• sracer

sracer - 2007-08-09

I manually created all of the icons included in that set.  However, approx 3/4 of the icons come from images that were taken from various parts of Windows.  The other 1/4 are my original design.  The intent for this icon set was for end-users to spiff up their keynote usage.

If there is a need to create original icon designs for distribution with the KeyNote package (rewrite/redesign/etc.) I'd be willing to give it a shot.

• KeyNoteFan

KeyNoteFan - 2007-08-09

Yes! Like several others, I registered just so I could post this comment. Probably most lovers of this program don't know about this forum. I am using KeyNote to organize several huge legal cases with tons of medical research notes.

The author of the progam created a rare masterpiece that contains just what you need to organize. It is so easy to move nodes around. That means your structure keeps evolving so you can always find everything even when you have thousands of pages of information. Even if the code has to be completely rewritten, the design is what matters - that is the soul of this program.

As I have learned more and more of its features, it has gotten more and more useful to me. At first I used to organize everything in just one tree note with tons of nodes. I didn't start using anything on the resource panel until just recently. The find feature on the resource panel is terrific and fast. The favorites tab on the resource panel allows you to save links to the key spots you use the most.

This is an extremely well thought out program. There are a number of other tree note organizers out there, but none of the ones I have looked at begin to compare to the simplicity and elegance of this design.

Hopefully open source programmers will realize that this is a superb platform to build a pricelessware notes organizer on. The author has blazed a trail that shouldn't be lost.

• Didi

Didi - 2007-08-29

Yes! Everyday at work and private.

I've explored the net for an alternative, but there's nothing corresponding out there.

Please, don't let this well done piece of Software die!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2007-08-31

Oh yes, I use Keynote daily and find it invaluable! I've been using Keynote for so long that I'd be lost without it quite frankly. I use it for brainstorming, project management, as a PIM, and PIN manager, for organising my personal writing projects, etc. When I first read that Keynote development had ended I was most fed up. I really, really do hope that someone picks up development where the latest version ended. Quite frankly I've looked at alternatives and just can't find anything that does what Keynote does as well as keynote does it!

I recently used TXTCollector, a little freeware ASCII text file combiner, to combine around 3000+ plain text files into one file setting a specific delimiter for each file. I then used Keynote converter to convert the text file into a keynote file, which created a note for each text file. After that, I passphrase protected the file and now all my text file notes have been archived for sorting later ;-)

There are so many uses for Keynote. One of those pieces of software you just can't give up.

POC

• Cornbread & Beans

I have used it for years and years... Over the years, i started keeping snips of code, tips and tricks, registration keys, jokes, recipes, personal data, etc.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to make it portable to my cell phone... who needs a dedicated PDA anymore...

It actually kind of bothers me MORE people don't keep notes on their cell phones... maybe I'm doing something wrong, I guess if I lost the phone, even though it's locked it could be cracked into... but then what are the odds that whoever found it would be able and willing to crack into the phone to get to data... they'd more likely just wipe the phone to reuse it. in my case, since i'm lucky enough to have retired kind of young, the most likely place I'd drop a phone would be in the lake.

• Suresh Kumar Nalluru

I have been using this for an year and this is an awesome program..

Many thanks for this.

• mermerset

mermerset - 2007-11-29

Obviously, lots of people do!

I hope the programmer/s who asked this question and started this forum would kindly let us know if it is now time to STOP hoping for "Keynote 2." (See post from another forum below, dated 22Nov.) No undue pressure intended. Just praying this software -- end-of-life but still unsurpassed in utility, ease of use and functionality -- would continue to be developed.

================
    https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4637707
    By: rexkarz

Alas, there will not likely be a 2.0 for Keynote.
    The original developer abandoned the project in 2004.

There has been some discussion of porting Keynote to an open source compiler,
    however traffic on this effort has ceased. So, whether the project takes off
    is uncertain. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
    ================

• raguanu

raguanu - 2007-11-30

oui. I've been using keynote for a loooong looong time.

At least in windows, there are no other alternatives. If you are in linux, you can try zim or tomboy. Still, keynote is the best.

Keynote is my:
    * Research/data collection notebook
    * Todo list
    * Scrap book
    * Journal
    * Phone book (upto some level)
    * Business log and planner

It's a tastefully done software.

Cheers,
    Raguanu

• Betrock

Betrock - 2008-01-21

Yes!  Only found it about six months ago.  I use it for everything!  I'm not a programmer, just a middle aged lady with Trivia issues.  I have everything stashed in there.  Thought, notes for work, recipes, info on kids, excercise, health - all neatly organized under 'tabs'.

Please continue development!  I don't care at all about it's issues (Tables would be nice), I just don't want to lose it!

• rcmn

rcmn - 2008-01-22

From all the software(free/open,linux/windows) i use, The Keynote project is probably the only one that have a huge number of user and reward but no more active development support. So many project are extremely active but lack on users.
    And since i start using it in 2004 i always though Keynote was something else. And like everyone is saying , Nobody really match the feature\stability that keynote is providing...Pretty crazy for such a old project.
    But still,i use it everyday ...

• lucjo

lucjo - 2008-01-24

Yes, of course !!! Please, don't give up ;-)

• LordMax

LordMax - 2008-02-05

Me too.
    I'm using KN for almost everything.
    I'll hope someone start to develop KN again

<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)