BUG: Terminates prematurely

Pete
2011-02-08
2013-04-22
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Pete
    Pete
    2011-02-08

KeePassSD 2.14 keeps terminating when it loses focus such as switching to the browser.
    KeePassPPC does not do this. It stays running in the background until you choose to exit the program.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-07

My KeePassSD 2.14 terminates when I start any search. Can I somehow fix it?

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-08

@vbdeveloper:
    You can increase the BackgroundTimeout value in the KeePassSD.config.xml file in the installation directory. If i remember correctly this is the timeout in seconds. However the program should not terminate, just lock the database. Sorry, i never got around adding a nice Settings form.

@srasuli:
    So the program terminates when you click Menu->Search?

Bests,
    Tobias

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-08

Tobias,

the program terminates when I click Menu->Search, then I add any text it RegEx field and click Find. The program disappears. If I try to launch it again, it does not react to the click on the program's icon. I am able to launch the program only after my device (HTC HD2) reset.

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-08

Hm.. Interesting…

Does it work when you try it with a small freshly generated database with just a few entries or is the behavior independent from the used database and the error is 100% reproducable? Might be a memory issue..

Bests,
    Tobias

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-08

The error is 100% reproducible. I use a very small freshly generated database.

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-09

Very odd.. Of course it works perfectly on the emulator :-D
    Can you try the search with this debug version and report the output of each message-box popup?
    Might give a hint at which point it goes wrong :-)

Thanks,
    Tobias

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-10

The debug version produced the following output when I added a text it RegEx field and clicked Find: "sfr: OK".

After pushing OK the program switched to the window where I can choose the DB file and enter the password. When I entered the password, my DB opened and the following output appeared: "SearchResult (1): mail False KeePassLib.PwGroup".

After pushing OK the program again switched to the window where I can choose the DB file and enter the password. When I entered the password, my DB opened and the following output appeared: "SearchResult (2): mail".

After pushing OK the following output appeared: "PerformDeepSearch: Firefox Sync". After pushing OK the debug window showed several entries from my DB that matched the search criteria.

Finally, after pushing OK the program disappeared and could not be launched by clicking its icon. I have to reset my device.

Tobias, should I try the 2.15 version? May be it does not have this problem? Anyway I want to switch to 2.15… Can you send me the new version for testing?

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-10

Hm very intresting…

All the popup messages are just sprinkled over the code to see if the program terminates at some point during the search process. It seems everything runs through fine, but due to some reason the propper window is not shown and we always end up at the login screen. Very dodgy.

You were already testing the 2.15 debug version, just added the popups for debugging the search.
    I have to look at it again after work… Maybe some "show current window" calls were forgotten in the search feature.

Tobias

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-11

No, unfortunately this version produces absolutely the same error :(

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-11

Ah bummer! Ok let's try something different: Instead of debugging the search functionality let's check who and when and why the KeyEntryForm is displayed. Unless some dead windows is dangling around something must close the database and show the KeyEntryForm again. There does not seem to be a crash, or we would not see the complete sequence of popup boxes.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepasssd/files/KeePassSD/__Debug__/KeePassSD_WM6_prof_SearchDebug3.CAB/download

Can you write down every message you see and every step you perform in the menu e.t.c.
    E.g.

1) Start program
    2) PopUp "xxx"
    3) Menu->File->Open
    4) PopUp "zzz"

e.t.c.

Thanks,
    Tobias

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-11

One more thought:
    It would be interesting to know if the program is really hanging or just not displaying the MainForm…
    What does Setting->System->Task Manager say, when you cannot launch the program after a search?
    Is it still showing KeePassSD as running? Does "Menu->Switch to" work?

Tobias

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-16

Tobias, please find bellow my report:
    1) Start program
    2) PopUp window Debug: "MainForm constructor"
    3) click on OK
    4) Main KeePassSD window: Menu->File->Open
    5) PopUp window Debug: "menuItemFileOpen_Click->DatabaseOpen"
    6) click on OK
    7) PopUp window Debug: "frmKeyPrompt"
    8) click on OK
    9) choose my DB file and enter the password
    10) click on Done
    11) PopUp window Debug: "DatabaseOpen->DatabaseClose"
    12) click on OK
    13) Menu->Search
    14) enter text in Reg.Ex. field: "mail" -> Find
    15) the Main KeePassSD window disappears
    16) Setting->System->Task Manager - KeePassSD is not shown in the Running Programs List
    17) Try to start KeePassSd program - nothing happens
    18) Setting->System->Task Manager - KeePassSD is not shown in the Running Programs List

Thanks…

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-17

After some time I switched on my PPC device and the following appeared on the screen:
    PopUp window Debug: "MainForm_PowerNotification: UNATTENDED"
    So KeePassSD is still running somehow in the memory.

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-17

(I hate this forum - It always times out and looses 30minutes of typing.. ARGHHH!)

Ok once again! *sigh*

Thanks for testing srasuli! I am running out of ideas here…

The last test showed that everything works nice until Step 14.. And then "something" happens.
    The program does not seem to be completely dead though, as you still get the power notifications.
    That one should fire, when the phone goes to sleep and the screen locks. So it probably happened a while ago and you just saw it somehow when you unlocked again and the window stack was in the right state to show it.

Ah well, as debugging by MessageBox does not seem to work, and the $%§&* program does not throw an exception either, we go one step further: Debugging by commenting out all code and step by step re-enabling it until it falls apart.
    That might take a few weeks as i have to compile a new version after each report.

Step 1:
    Disable the complete search code running after the dialog where the search parameters are entered.
    If that works we know that there is nothing wrong with the dialog and something blows up later.
    I'll post the link to the binary in a few minutes (before the forum forgets my text again *grr*).

Bests,
    Tobias

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-19

Hi Tobias, please this is my report on KeePassSD_WM6_prof_SearchDebug4.CAB:

1) Start program
    2) Main KeePassSD window: Menu->File->Open
    3) show my KeePass v.2.15 DB
    4) enter my password and click on Done
    5) Menu->Search
    6) enter text in Reg.Ex. field: "mail" -> Find
    7) search windows disappears
    8) DEBUG window: "Search: Disables for debugging"
    9) click OK
    10) Main KeePassSD window is shown and fully functionable

Thanks

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-20

Tobias, this is my report on KeePassSD_WM6_prof_SearchDebug5.CAB:

1) Start program
    5) Menu->Search
    7) search windows disappears
    8) DEBUG window: "Search: Disables for debugging"
    9) click OK
    10) Main KeePassSD window
    11) the Main KeePassSD window disappears
    12) Setting->System->Task Manager - KeePassSD is not shown in the Running Programs List
    13) Try to start KeePassSd program - nothing happens
    14) Setting->System->Task Manager - KeePassSD is not shown in the Running Programs List

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-20

"10) Main KeePassSD window" - please disregard this point. The main window is not shown, the program disappears immediately after "9) click OK" - without showing the main window.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    2011-05-22

Hi Tobias, KeePassSD_WM6_prof_SearchDebug6 works the following way:

1) Start program
    5) Menu->Search
    7) DEBUG window: "Call SearchResults" -> click OK
    8) DEBUG window: "SearchResults constructor" -> click OK
    9) DEBUG window: "Create Regex" -> click OK
    10) DEBUG window: "PerformDeepSearch" -> click OK
    11) the Main KeePassSD window disappears
    12) Setting->System->Task Manager - KeePassSD is not shown in the Running Programs List
    13) Try to start KeePassSd program - nothing happens
    14) Setting->System->Task Manager - KeePassSD is not shown in the Running Programs List

Hope that will help you catch the bug :)

• Tobias
    Tobias
    2011-05-22

Hi  srasuli!

Ok, so now we are back to the function i initially thought might be problematic *g*.
    So in order to verify that it's going wrong somewhere in "PerformDeepSearch", i will disable just that function as a test.
    Of course nothing will be found then whatever you do, but if the program keeps running we are narrowing down the problem area.

Bests,
    Tobias

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)