Keepass + Linux for Online Banking

Help
mranybody
2012-10-07
2012-11-19
  • mranybody
    mranybody
    2012-10-07

I'd like to move my access to online banking to Linux on a USB. I'll go for Puppy Linux 5.3 (Slacko) unless anyone has a better way to go.

The procedure to create a bootable USB is fine for me, but before I move, I'd like to check with you guys on using KP with Puppy, especially as I'd way prefer to keep all my TCATO auto-types as well as PICKCHARS placeholders.

Is the above workable?
    Does a .kdbx database need any conversion to be compatible?
    Would you recommend KP as a local or a USB install in such a case?

I've read over the help on using KP with Linux (here), but nonetheless, I just wanted to check-in on any restrictions or considerations.

Many thanks.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-10-08

If you are creating a bootable Linux just for banking I would put KeePass and the database on the boot USB. No need for 2 USB sticks.
    The V2 database will open in KeePassX or KeePass / mono without conversion.
    To be sure everything works as expected you should test it thoroughly and when it's ready write a "how to" and we can add it to the Linux section of the Help.

cheers, Paul

• mranybody
    mranybody
    2012-10-08

Many thanks Paul. I'll work out a How-to for posting.

You mention that v2 database will open in KeepassX without conversion. Or should I read it as only in "KeePass / mono without conversion" If it's the former then the KeepassX FAQ here) contradicts. Please clarify.

Many thanks.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-10-08

Both, but it's read only in KeePassX.

cheers, Paul

• mranybody
    mranybody
    2012-10-08

Thanks Paul, but it looks like I'll lose Auto-Type TCATO and especially Pick Chars if I go with KeepassX.

The obstacle for me at the moment is finding a suitable package of Mono for Puppy Linux 5.3 (Slacko). It's not obvious to me which one to use. I've had a good search around, but I can't find a firm way to go, and if System.Windows.Forms, System.Runtime, xsel and xdotool packages are included in whichever Mono package.

I don't find much input on this on the Mono site, and the Puppy forums have such a huge wealth of info, it's difficult to sift through. I'm also posting on one of the Puppy forums to see if they have any advice.

I'd much appreciate any input anyone has on this.

Many thanks.