Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Questions about custom fields

Help
2014-06-03
2014-06-03
  • I recently started experimenting with custom fields in KeePass - creating new fields for info that I had been putting in the Notes field - and I have a few questions.

• How can I search for all records containing a custom field named "foo" - regardless of what (if anything) is contained in the "foo" fields?

• How can I configure KeePass so that every time I add a custom field named "bar", it's automatically set as ******** protected (as opposed to having to set protection on each record's "bar" field individually, after the fact)?

• Is it possible to include historical records in a search?

• Is it possible to search for records that have more than N previous versions on file?

• Is it possible to compare versions of a record, to review exactly what changes were made?

Last edit: T. Bug Reporter 2014-06-03
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-06-03

You cannot search for a field by name.
    You can use templates to pre-defile fields.
    It is not possible to search history.
    Ditto.
    There is no version comparison function.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-06-03

How can I search for all records containing a custom field named "foo" - regardless of what (if anything) is contained in the "foo" fields?

You can find string fields that have contents by viewing the field in the view panel and sorting. This leaves the problem of finding entries that include the string field but the string field is empty. You could export the database as XML and remove the empty string fields using a text editor.

It may also be possible to modify the contents of empty string fields with the XML Replace feature so that the empty fields become findable via display and sort. I have no idea whether this is possible with this expert feature.

String field list maintenance is the primary issue created by empty string fields, a few empty orphaned string fields is not a significant space issue.

As far as I know, the other issues are what Paul says.

• Oh well, it looks like I may have to look into building my own extension for these functions. I suppose it depends on how large and messy my database gets without these functions - and whether my dislike for a messy database becomes large enough to overcome my dislike for programming in C#.