Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Created KeePass passwords to access accounts...

Help
2014-04-27
2014-04-29
  • Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-27

I created a KeePass database to access my Google, and my College class page easier, but suddenly my Database stopped working, it was after i upgraded from 1.26 to 1.27, so i changed my passwords in 1.27 and then had to reinstall windows... i backed up the database and it's keyfile onto a separate drive...

After finally getting windows installed, the database and keyfile don't work, or at least the keyfile doesn't work, i have no clue which is giving me problems, i have done every combination i can think of, however, i have no clue how to fix this, it seems as though KeePass just up and decided to ruin my life.

I use KeePass because i cannot remember passwords, and when i rely on something so often, for it to just up and ruin my life randomly like this i am terrified if i'll ever be able to recover. I use it to manage my Google, my Yahoo, and my Devry University Login passwords, i NEED this fixed! Luckily i managed to get my Final Exam done before it stopped working, i only have a few days before my next classes start, and my Primary Google is my phone number to the College, i need this fixed, please provide some method for me to: A-Fix this myself, or B-a contact number to help me resolve this.

I AM OUT OF OPTIONS AND NEED THIS DONE A.S.A.P.

• Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-27

i need help with this, this program has control of my life, without those passwords i will be ruined, my life destroyed, i will be homeless within a couple of months without it!

My phone, my email, my Facebook, my RECOVERY email, my bank, my college, everything is part of this program!

I get paid for college by my Montgomery GI Bill, if i fail to keep my college up, i'll lose my income and then i'll be destroyed. I don't think i can handle such a devastation.

i am BEGGING for help from someone who can help, i have both files, yet it still doesn't let me open it! I wish i could pay for the help, but this former soldier is suffering from the economic meltdown. Currently all i have left for food is a can of refried beans and 4 cans of jellied cranberry sauce.

If you want i'll post a video of me on me knees begging! for the sake of all things sacred, please help me!!!!!

Last edit: Cain Kamikazi 2014-04-27
  • A. K.
    A. K.
    2014-04-27

This is really strange and should not happen... do you have some other backup copies?

Now you can try:
    - to recover your previous keyfile and database from formatted drive. If you have luck (file is not overwritten yet) you can recover old version. You can do that for example with freeware program named Recuva.
    - to try older KeePass if you think, that this may be an issue:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/files/KeePass%201.x/
    - are you sure, that your external drive is not damaged? Check it for errors (chkdsk). If this is a flash drive and you have written your backup to that drive multiple times, Recuva can nicely recover even old versions.
    - Go to your bank and university, they can reset your passwords. You must only show your identification document. AFAIK the same for Facebook.

• Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-27

i have tried versions 1.26 (the one i started on) 1.27 and 2.26.

My university is Devry University Online college, i live on opposite side of the USA from the college campus. and my bank i can go and do later.

i will try this "Recuva on my thumb drives, hopefully the writes i made on there hasn't overwritten the data.

• Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-27

no luck, didn't find the originals, however, I don't know why recovering the first broken one would fix the broken one I have now.

• A. K.
    A. K.
    2014-04-27

I suggested this, because your previous versions may contain a valid keyfile in case your one is broken (and was not changed since last version).

One more idea: are your files (kdb and keyfile) accessible? Can you view them in Notepad? (but: DO NOT try to modify them in Notepad as this will lead to unrecoverable damage! Just try to view).

• Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-27

yes, though they are just a bunch of symbols, letters, and numbers, nothing really makes any sense.

UPDATE: sorry for the long wait, i ran myself into exhaustion trying every possible theory i could imagine. Only thing that i can think of is that KeePass is just unreliable anymore. Unfortunately i am still unable to access my KeyPass database, and it keeps saying incorrect key or password, I am really losing my patience with this program.

Last edit: Cain Kamikazi 2014-04-27
  • Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-27

Upon attempting to repair the database file i get the error, attached is a pic of the error.

Attachments
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-28

The most probable reason for not being able to open a 1.x database is that the user provided Master Key (password and/or key file) is incorrect. However it is possible that hardware failure or software based problems could corrupt a database. It is also possible that the database the user is trying to open is not a KeePass 1.x database. However the exact error message will identify this particular error (i.e. Invalid File Signature).

What is the exact error message that you receive when you try to open the database?

The KeePass 1.x error explanations are found at http://keepass.info/help/v1/errors.html. The particular error you encountered during your repair attempt occurs if the Master Key supplied by the user is incorrect or if the database is corrupt.

• Did you backup in preparation of the re-install or did you backup regularly?
    • When you backed up your database and key file how did you confirm that the backed up database and key file were valid?
    • If you backed up regularly how did you perform the backup and what file system did you use? (You may be able to recover a previous version even if you kept only a single backup version)
    • Did you store the database and key file on a cloud based service recently? If so you may be able to recover a previous copy from the cloud service.
    • What was the reason for the OS re-install? What operating system were you using?

Last edit: wellread1 2014-04-28
  • Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-28

• I backed up in preparation for the OS install
    • i created the database and keyfile in the backup drive in preparation for the OS install
    • I did not use a mainstream Backup service
    • No i didn't store on a cloud option
    • I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in an attempt to install in a RAID 5 and to resolve a connectivity issue with my Evolve Client.

I didn't test to see if the database/keyfile was working before the OS Install primarily because I expected it to work after installing KeePass and opening it off the drive it was saved to.

Last edit: Cain Kamikazi 2014-04-28
  • Cain Kamikazi
    Cain Kamikazi
    2014-04-28

somehow, for no reason, it up and decided to accept the credentials i had set it to, and have been throwing at it, I AM BACK IN!!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP, honestly, i am greatful for your help.

Last edit: Cain Kamikazi 2014-04-28
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-29

Time to backup and test the backup on another computer.

cheers, Paul