I need help!

Help
2014-04-10
2014-04-10
  • Daniel Braaten
    Daniel Braaten
    2014-04-10

I started using Keepass, but my pc crashed before I saved all my passwords.... Now I have super complicated passwords on all of the stuff I use and I don't know how to get them back!

Please, someone, help!

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-10

What version of KeePass are you using? Are you having trouble finding your password database or have you successfully opened it and verified that it doesn't contain some of your passwords?

If you haven't saved some passwords in KeePass that you had successfully changed at the site, then you will need to go to the affected site and initiate that site's password reset or recovery process.

Going forward there is an Auto-Save trigger in the trigger examples: http://keepass.info/help/kb/trigger_examples.html

Last edit: wellread1 2014-04-10
  • Daniel Braaten
    Daniel Braaten
    2014-04-10

I'm using the 1.27, and I can't find the password database!

Yeah, I was thinking I had to change them all again...

• Kev
    Kev
    2014-04-10

You could try searching your computer for any files that have the file extension *.kdb as this is the default extension for a version 1 Keepass database.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-10

With KeePass 1.x it is actually possible to "create" a database and enter entries into it without having ever saved it. If KeePass closes normally you would be prompted to save the database, but if a system crash occurred before you saved it then you might not have a database.

However, if you ever saved the database then it will be present on your drive, and as Kev says the default extension is .kdb. If you don't know where you saved the .kdb file search the entire drive for files with a .kdb extension and try to open them using File>Open in KeePass.

Going Forward: The KeePass 2.x edition is probably a better fit for most new users unless they have a specific reason to use KeePass 1.x. A comparison of the 1.x & 2.x editions is at http://keepass.info/compare.html. The two file formats are not compatible so it is best to make the correct choice initially.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-04-10