Import from SafeWallet

Help
lupus3
2013-03-22
2014-02-11
  • lupus3
    lupus3
    2013-03-22

According to the KeePass Help Center Keepass 2.x supports importing data from SafeWallet. But the dialog "Import file/data" does not show this option. So, how to import data from SafeWallet?

Thank you

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-03-22

Support for importing SafeWallet XML files has been added for KeePass 2.22 (which has not been released yet).

If you want to test the latest development snapshot, here it is:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_130322.zip

Best regards,
    Dominik

• lupus3
    lupus3
    2013-03-23

I have tried to import from SafeWallet XML file with KeePass without success. Maybe because your link points to V. 2.21; please check this again. Thank you.

Best regards lupus3

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-03-23

The link is fine.

The importer has been designed for XML files exported by SafeWallet 3.0.4 and higher (especially 3.0.5.1, which currently is the latest version, has also been tested). Make sure you're using one of these versions.

If you are using these versions and still have problems, feel free to post a sample XML file that doesn't import and I'll have a look at it.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• JustinCBR
      JustinCBR
      2013-05-16

I'm using SafeWallet 2.4.2.5 (the last version before they force you to upload your data to their servers). I'm trying to import into Keepass. The importer is working with the cards in my safewallet root folder, but not subfolders? Should it? I've got over 100 cards. Is there an easy way to get them into keepass? or am I just missing some really obvious step?

• lupus3
    lupus3
    2013-03-23

Thank you for your hint, now it worked. Is this a stable version which I can use?

Best regards

lupus3

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-03-23

Development snapshots should be used for testing only, not for regular use (because e.g. in general plugins only work with stable releases, not development snapshots).

You could use the development snapshot to import the SafeWallet data, save your KDBX, and continue using a stable release (currently 2.21); KeePass 2.21 is able to open the KDBX file saved by the development snapshot.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-05-17

Your output may not be in a format KeePass expects. Can you export to CSV / text?

cheers, Paul

• Mark
    Mark
    2013-05-24

Importer for v2 SBSH Safewallet (v2.4.2.7 was the last v2) would make many currently unhappy people very happy again.

Safewallet v2 used Dropbox for sync which has stopped working due to a Dropbox core API change. Safewallet have no fix for v2.

Safewallet v3 now uses SBSH's own servers and many are not too pleased with the changes nor pleased at being forced to store their valuable data on their servers. Plus, the SBSH guys have suddenly gone very quiet lately while all this is happening, which is making many people very nervous about the future and security off their data.

To switch to Keepass would entail the v2 safewallet guys to upgrade to v3 and loose control of their data!!

I can think of workaround:
    v2 safewallet >>> v3 safewallet >>> keepass >>> remove safewallet v3 ........all while staying off-line so data never gets to their servers.

It would be good opportunity for keepass to fulfil these guys needs by making it easier to change over and avoid v3.

Last edit: Mark 2013-05-24
  • Mark
    Mark
    2013-05-25

Hi Dominik,

Thanks again for the fast response. I have tested the dev snapshot with a v2 import and a v3 import. Both worked and it seems its even possible to bring the two safewallet versions into one keepass file. Fantastic. It looks like I will soon be moving over to keepass if I can get the sync to my NAS from work working.

Thanks, Mark

Last edit: Mark 2013-05-25
  • Mark
    Mark
    2013-05-25

Hi,
    What is the criteria that determines which fields end up as notes in Keepass? I assume it its the filed name. In Safewallet I had multiple note fields, some not called notes, and some ended up in a Keepass filed as one long string. I think all the information was still there!!

I guess only those fields end named notes in safewallet end as notes in keepass. Can Keepass handle multiple notes? Are the panes configurable in layout?

Thanks Mark

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-05-25

KeePass indeed derives the field type from its name in the exported file. Multiple fields can contibute to the notes field, if they have appropriate names (e.g. 'notes', 'comments', 'memo', 'freeform', 'freetext', and many more).

The field names that KeePass cannot map to a standard field are put into custom string fields, which you can find on the 'Advanced' tab page of the entry dialog.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pane'. If you wish to configure the columns in the main window, you can do so in 'View' -> 'Configure Columns'. If you wish to configure the default tab page of the entry dialog, have a look at the KPEntryTemplates plugin: http://keepass.info/plugins.html#kpentrytemplates

Best regards,
    Dominik

• davisj
      davisj
      2014-02-10

I'm trying to understand the CSV Generic Import algorithm for standard and custom fields. I need to import a CSV where row one contains comma-separated fieldnames. I would like the columns with std names to be imported into std fields, and the rest to become custom fields. Std fields are working as expected, except for Group. All other fields become Ignore fields. Example:

Group,Title,User Name,Password,URL,Notes,Domain,Region
      Applications/App1,App1 Title A,john,,http://aaa.bbb.com,Notes: A1 TA,D one,R1
      Applications/App1,App1 Title B,billy,,http://ccc.ddd.com,Notes: A1 TB,D one,R2
      Applications/App2,App2 Title A,fred,,http://eee.fff.com,Notes: A2 TA,D two,R3

I expected Groups "Applications", and nested Groups "App1" and "App2" to be created. Instead, two Groups, "Applications/App1", and "Applications/App2" are created. How can I improve my import CSV to resolve this?

Fields Title thru Notes are handled as expected. Fields Domain and Region are ignored.

In reality, I am importing about 2 dozen fields, and I must manually enter the custom field specs in the importer. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful the data can be imported at all, but since I need to run many test imports, this is becoming tiresome. A suggestion: It would be nice if we could save import specifications in a file for re-use.

Thanks for your support.

• Paul
        Paul
        2014-02-10

I wrote this up earlier but without testing for custom fields - which don't actually work without manual intervention.

Importing Groups
        To import the group structure, follow the import procedure until you arrive at the "Structure" tab.
        1. In the "Add field" section, set "Type" = "Group" and "Separator" = "\".
        2. Click "Add" and then the up arrow to move the added group field immediately below the existing group field name.
        3. Highlight the existing group field name and click "Delete".

Importing Custom Fields
        1. Select "String" in the "Add Field" dropdown.
        2. Type the name of the custom field in your CSV.
        3. Click "Add" and then the up arrow to move the added custom field immediately below the corresponding "Ignore" field name.
        4. Highlight the corresponding "Ignore" field name and click "Delete".

cheers, Paul

• davisj
          davisj
          2014-02-11

Thanks for writing, Paul. Yes, this is the procedure I have been using, and it works fine, it's just time-consuming for 20-some fields repeatedly (because I am testing various conditions). I was hoping the whole inport process could be automatic. Not a big issue. So thanks again for your support.

• Mark
    Mark
    2013-05-25

I was referring to the notes pane, next to the attachment pane. Bottom in 'stacked' or bottom right in 'side by side' view.

I wondered if these panes (windows) could be user configured? I do not need the attachments shown in a pane, I have none, but I do/did use multiple notes for some entries.

It would be good if I could have more than one notes pane and if I could rearrange the layout so that Keepass remembers my preferred layout for next time. As it is even if I maximise the notes pane and minimise the attachments pane the layout reverts to default the next time I open Keepass. Even better would if Keepass only displayed notes and attachments if the entry has such things in it. Otherwise its just wasting real estate

The KPEntrytemplates didn't seem to help and I wasn't sure if it was working as it should with v2.22 Keepass. Some of the comments seem to suggest it does not!!

Thanks again, Mark

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-05-28

The KeePass layout is fixed unless you use a plug-in. Try the KPEnhancedEntryView plug-in.

cheers, Paul

• Dev
    Dev
    2013-06-12

Hi all,

I am not sure if all the issues are resolved. Probably they are. But just in case you are using KeePass v2.22 Windows items that were used for 'Websites" in SafeWallet to auto-login through the browser were not imported. This is because the XML for them are a bit different from the rest.

The supported format is:

<T3 Caption="Foldername" Icon="69">

<T4 Caption="Card Name" Icon="231">
        <T264 Caption="Website">http://something.com</T264>
        <T257 Caption="Username">username</T257>
        <T263 Caption="Password">password</T263>
      </T4>

</T3>

However the web entries are like this:

<T21 Caption="Websites" Icon="91">

<T22 Caption="website name" Icon="45" URL="https://webaddress.com/" Username="john@something.com" Password="password" Favorite="true" />

</T21>

Splitting the details in the format above resolves the issue and I did a successful import.

Thanks.

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-06-12

Thanks for the hint. I've now added support for importing such special web entries.

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_130612b.zip

Best regards,
    Dominik