Help
Ant
2014-04-15
2014-04-16
  • Ant
    Ant
    2014-04-15

Hi

When I want to change a password for a website which is already saved in 'keepass', what is the best/easiest way (or is there more than one way) to change it.

I know that I can click on 'genearate new password' which is saved in the 'clipboard', but I can't see what the password is or how good the quality is either (or can I?).

I like the way 'keepass' works when I click on 'add entry' when creating a password for a new website, where I can have a look at the password and it also tells me how good the quality of the password is, but I can't find a way to use this if I want to change a password for a website that is already saved in 'keepass'.

I'm asking because I am going to change a lot of passwords in the next few days due to the 'Heartbleed bug' and I want to be able to see what the new password is going to be and the password quality.

When I change the password for my main email account (for instance) I don't just want to 'generate new password' and insert that in the 'change password' part of my email account without knowing what it is, just in case something goes wrong.
    If something goes wrong then I will have inserted the new password into my email account and have the old password saved in 'keepass' and I will be locked out of my email account.

Or is there a safety net built into 'keepass' to stop this happening?

Thanks

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-04-16

I don't just want to 'generate new password' and insert that in the 'change password' part of my email account without knowing what it is, just in case something goes wrong.

Nonetheless you should create and save the new password in KeePass before changing it at the website.

• If you are using KeePass 2.x the old password will be available in the entry's History Tab if something goes wrong, unless you have set the Database Settings so that no History is kept (See File>Database Settings>Advanced(tab)).
    • If you are using KeePass 1.x you can temporarily copy the old password into the entry Notes until you have confirmed the change was successful.

I usually copy the new password from the edit entry dialog, and then copy the new password again for webpage confirmation field from the KeePass Window. That way I can verify that I did not accidentally copy an adjacent password from the KeePass window. Remember to save the database frequently because closing an entry after making a change does not automatically save the database. If you are making a great many changes in a short period you might feel more comfortable if you periodically backup the database.

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-16

Using KeePass means you don't need to know what the passwords are, only the master password. I have not known any of my passwords for years and never have a problem.

cheers, Paul