Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Issue with webdav iousername, iopassword

Help
2012-10-11
2013-02-28
  • Joachim Braun
    Joachim Braun
    2012-10-11

Hi,

Using Keepas Windows 2.20, I just switched from using local Databasefiles to webdav source for keepass databasefiles.

I have configured keepass to "limit to single instance".

When I open the first database from the commandline specifing the (https//) url -iousername and -iopassword the prompt for the database password shows up immediately.

When I open the next database from the commandline specifing the (https://) url -iousername and -iopassword the "open from url" dialog pops up and is asking for user and password for the url.

As I store all Databases (I'v got many of them) on the same webdav it's anoying to enter the credentials all the time.

Is this a bug or a feature ?

How can I achieve that the commandline parameters are recognized after the first start ?

Regards
    Joachim

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2012-10-11

I like your suggestion and have added this feature (loading IO credentials over IPC) now.

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_121011.zip

Best regards
    Dominik

• Joachim Braun
    Joachim Braun
    2012-10-11

Hi Dominik,

wow what a Service, I dowloaded and tested, it works. Thank you !!

One more suggestion, when you have the url, iousername and iopassword why must to "open url dialog" pop up ?
    It would be nice if the diallog only pops up if something goes wrong with webdav access !

Regards
    Joachim

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2012-10-12

Thanks for the suggestion. I currently don't see how this could be realized reasonably, but have put it onto my to-do list and will review it later again.

• Joachim Braun
    Joachim Braun
    2013-02-06

Hi Dominik, I just updated to 2.21 when I read the changes and saw "IO credentials can be loaded over IPC now".

My hope was, that you found a way to implement my suggestion above: skip the dialog for IO credentials if the are completely specified...

Do you have still the plan to implement this ?

Regards
    Joachim

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-02-06

I still cannot see how to realize this reasonably.

One example. KeePass adds the opened database to the list of recently used files (MRU list). Here, credential remembering is supported. When the credentials are provided externally, should KeePass remember the credentials (or part of them) in the MRU list? Both remembering and not remembering can be the behavior intended by the user, depending on the external context, which KeePass cannot identify though. So, KeePass would need to ask the user, however showing an additional dialog isn't much different from showing the actual 'Open URL' dialog (with everything else filled in already).

Of course an option "Don't remember externally provided credentials" or a new command line option for specifying the behavior could be added, but this isn't really nice architecturally. In general, the user must be prompted with the 'Open URL' dialog, even when KeePass already has all credentials from the MRU, because otherwise IO password changes aren't possible easily. Externally provided credentials would be an exception to this, requiring to introduce special handling code, etc.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Joachim Braun
    Joachim Braun
    2013-02-06

Hello Dominik,

thanks for your quick answer I aggree with your architectural view.

I use the url override feature to open additional kdbx files via cmd script so no credential saving in the mru list is needed for my usage type the save is keepass ...

May be the only solution is to have a "cmd line switch use-supplied credentials" i.e.

Regards
    Joachim

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-02-28

I've now added a command line switch '-ioiscomplete'. This optional switch tells KeePass that the path and file system credentials are complete (the 'Open URL' dialog will not be displayed then).

This solution works nicely together with other existing features, has only moderate architectural effects, and is future-proof (e.g. an option could be added in the future whether to copy the credentials to the MRU list; currently the default is to not remember externally-provided credentials).

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_130228.zip

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

• Joachim Braun
    Joachim Braun
    2013-02-28

Hello Dominik,

thx, unpacked, started, is working as expected, I don't see the WEBDAV Cred screen at all and the kdbx loads as expected.

Again thx for this excellent service

Regards
    Joachim