I cant import my .kdbx file

Help
2013-06-09
2013-06-09
  • MeisterYoda
    MeisterYoda
    2013-06-09

Hello!
    I installed my new Windows, so i wanted to import my passwords. I saved a .kdbx file. I tried to import, but it said:
    Failed to load the specifed file!
    The composite key is invalid!
    Make sure the composite key is correct and try again.
    Can anybody help me? Sorry for my english I am from Germany.
    Thank you!
    Tim

• MeisterYoda
    MeisterYoda
    2013-06-09

I fixed it!
    Solution: The Key File must be selected!

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-06-09

The particular error that you are reporting means that you are using the wrong Master Key when attempting to open the database.

If you are using KeePass 2.x on both machines, you don't need to import your passwords. You will be able to open the password database (.kdbx file) on the new installation, provided that you supply the correct Master Key of your password database (.kdbx file). Depending on how you originally configured the Master Key for your database, in addition to the correct Master Password, you may need a Key File; and/or you may need to unlink the database from the original Windows User Account before opening the file under the new windows user account.

To check that you are using the correct Master Key:

1. Check that you are entering the correct Master Password by press the "..." button located to the right of the Enter Password field. This will display the password you are entering so that you can verify it.
    2. If you used a key file, you need that file to open the database.
    3. If you linked your account to the Windows User Account, you must open the database (.kdbx file) using the original windows user account, then you can change the Master Key to remove the link.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-06-09

Glad to hear that you figured it out yourself.