Leading space required on some systems and login pages

Help
Norbert
2013-09-20
2013-09-20
  • Norbert
    Norbert
    2013-09-20

With usual default autotype "{USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}" I have somtimes problems. Even when I place the cursor in the Username field of the login page, the login fails completely. A lot of strange things can happen (opening pull-down-menus, printout window, opening a completely different page, ...). But a workaround is adding a leading space with " {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}". The problem is, that this seems to be dependant on operating system. When synchronizing the KeePass database file between a Win7pro32bit and Win7home64bit I have to remove or add the leading space for correct login function. That is annoying and I could not identify what is the real problem behind.

I have also the impression, that after initial login on a web page and logout, the next login can work without the leading space. Not always but sometimes. What is here going on? The problem is also, that some login pages do ignore a leading space, which makes investigation even more complicated.

Any hint about reasons and solution?

Thanks and regards, Norbert

P.S.: I am using KeePass v2.23 and Firefox v23.0.1

P.P.S.: Is this posting good in Discussion-Help or better to be placed in Tickets-Bugs?

Last edit: Norbert 2013-09-20
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-09-20

Even when I place the cursor in the Username field of the login page, the login fails completely.

The most common reason for a complete fail of a global auto-type is that the Target Window text does not match (is not contained in) the active Window Title.

A lot of strange things can happen (opening pull-down-menus, printout window, opening a completely different page, ...).

The most common reason for this is that the user has neglected to position the cursor at the start point for typing (usually the username field). This step is not optional. KeePass doesn't care where it types. If it found a window title match it will begin typing from wherever the cursor is positioned.

A less common reason for this is that the webpage contains interactive script that performs actions based on the typed input in real time. When this happens it may be necessary to study the interaction of typing with the webpage and tailor the auto-type sequence accordingly. Sometimes it is not possible to overcome the web designer machinations with a reasonable sequence and the user must accept a partial auot-type solution.

I have also the impression, that after initial login on a web page and logout, the next login can work without the leading space. Not always but sometimes.

A general solution to many auto-type initial position issues (assuming the cursor is in the right field) is to use {CLEARFIELD} or alternatively {HOME}+{END} in the auto-type sequence, prior to typing text in the field, e.g. {CLEARFIELD}{USERNAME}... Either sequence has the effect of selecting everything that exists in the field and overwriting it with the next portion of the auto-type sequence e.g. {USERNAME}.

A sequence such as: {HOME}+{END}{USERNAME}{TAB}{HOME}+{END}{PASSWORD}{ENTER} works well as the default auto-type.

Is this posting good in Discussion-Help or better to be placed in Tickets-Bugs?

This is the appropriate section for this post.

• develop1
    develop1
    2013-09-20

the problem describe sounds like a timing issue to me in that the receiving system can not handle characters as fast as some machines can send them this might explain why it works on one of your pcs but not the other.

The following autotype inserts a 35 milliecond delay between each and every character of your username and password as well as inserts a half second delay after the "tab" key.
    Such an autotype more closely emulates what touch typing human might do.
    Without such a delay the autotype is kinda occurring at superhuman typing speeds.

{DELAY=35}{UserName}{TAB}{DELAY 500}{Password}