Another 'Composite Key Is Invalid!' Post

Help
Kelric
2013-07-12
2013-07-17
  • Kelric
    Kelric
    2013-07-12

Windows 7, downloaded 2.22, installed, create a database with just a password, entered data, saved, exited, went to open the DB.... composite key is invalid. Uninstalled KeePass, reinstalled, same error. Create a database with a password of simply 'test' with the same error yet again. No matter what I do, I get this error. I've changed settings during install, I've changed settings during database creation, I've changed absolutely nothing several times, and I always get this error. Help?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-12

Please post two screenshots for a test database as follows:

Screenshot 1. Create Composite Master Key dialog, shown exactly as it appears (with the test password revealed) just before you press the "OK" button. (To reveal the password press the "..." button to reveal the password)

Screenshot 2. Enter Master Key dialog, showing the dialog as it appears (with the password revealed) just before you press the "OK" button.

• Kelric
    Kelric
    2013-07-12

Of course, now it works every time. I swear all I was doing was creating a test password over and over and it would not work last night. The only thing that changed is my system was shut off overnight.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-12

Glad it worked out. If you have trouble in the future, make sure that the data shown on the Enter Master Key dialog matches exactly the data entered on the Create Composite Master Key dialog. This is the only data (settings) that affect whether the database will be successfully opened (decrypted). The tiniest mismatch (e.g. an extra space, a text case mismatch, a check box checked or not...) will lead to the error message you observed.

• Kelric
    Kelric
    2013-07-16

Nope, back to not working after not using it for several days.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-16

Post the screenshots previously requested.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-07-17

If it was working then either you have the wrong password / key file or the wrong database.
    I suggest you manually copy the database immediately after you have confirmed it works, then you can use the copy to test if you have another problem.

cheers, Paul