Help
Ant
2013-06-08
2014-04-03
  • Ant
    Ant
    2013-06-08

I have dbBackup installed.
    I decided to try opening my backup database to make sure it's working correctly (It is) and added a few new entries to it.
    But now the main 'mynewdatabase.kdbx' file does not have the new added entries.
    What is the best way to make the 'mynewdatabase.kdbx' the same as my backup database?
    Is it as simple as copy/paste?

• develop1
    develop1
    2013-06-08

assuming your are version 2.x
    the "best" way to make two database files the same is to do a two way record level sync.
    While both files can have different names they need to have the masterkey (password).
    Assuming this is your situation simply do:
    "file" "synchronize" "synchronize with file".

the above will perform a two way record level sync.
    With this action, changes from one will be brought into the other and visa versa.
    When the sync is done (typically takes just a second or so) the two files will contain identical data.
    This is the easiest way to have two copies of the same data yet each copy might be updated independantly.
    For example a file at home and another incarnation on your usb key chain that you use at the office/remotely.

If your not into doing a sync another option is to highlight the desired record, RIGHT click, "clipboard", "copy entries" go to the other database file then right click, "clipboard", "paste entries".

• Ant
    Ant
    2013-06-13

Thanks for your help.
    I did 'synchronize with file' and it did as you said.
    Just wondering: Is there a way to synchronize more than two files, say a backup in the cloud and a backup on my laptop hard drive?

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-06-16

You can sync as many files as you want, but if you have lots of copies you might find it easier to use Dropbox to manage the files and a trigger to do the sync.
    http://keepass.info/help/kb/trigger_examples.html#dbsync

cheers, Paul

• Ant
    Ant
    2014-04-03

One other question on what I asked a few months back:
    If I (right click) copy the keepass database to save it on a usb stick (and the usb stick already has a older database saved on it when I (right click) to paste on the usb stick: Is it alright to write over the information that is already there.

I use 'Teracopy' to copy and it asks if I want to 'overwrite all'
    I click 'yes': Is it alright to do this time after time?

Last edit: Ant 2014-04-03
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-04-03

As long as you don't mind losing any data that you have not migrated to your master database, then it's OK to overwrite. If you can't remember if you made any changes then a KeePass sync to the USB file is the best way to guarantee the data is complete.

cheers, Paul

• Ant
    Ant
    2014-04-03

Thanks