Keepass 2.23

Help
Holly Aday
2013-07-26
2013-07-27
  • Holly Aday
    Holly Aday
    2013-07-26

I have been using KeePass for a LONG time. I downloaded the most recent update, installed it, and it now tells me my kdbx file is corrupt or not a KeePass file. I tried it on my laptop - same result. I have now lost ALL my passwords as the backup indicates corrupt as well.

I believe there is a problem with this latest version, I have reinstalled 2.22 and an outdated kdbx. What a mess. The repair facility did not work either. HELP.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-26

HELP

I can't tell what the status of your primary database is based on your message.

1. Does your primary database still exist in original or corrupted form? If so, in which form(s) does it exist?
    2. Were you ever able to open the primary database using KeePass 2.23, before it got corrupted?
    3. What is the date modified time stamp on the corrupted database? Does the time stamp predate your upgrade?
    4. Can you open the primary (corrupted?) database using KeePass 2.22?

Last edit: wellread1 2013-07-26
  • Holly Aday
    Holly Aday
    2013-07-27

Hello,

1. I have the primary database together with a 2nd corrupted copy in a separate folder. They both exist as kdbx set to master password.
    2. I believe it did get open before it got corrupted.
    3. The date modified is 7/26 - this all happened around the same time so it is difficult to tell for certain - however, I believe I installed the upgrade on 7/25.
    4. NO.

I have reinstalled 2.22 and an older copy of the kdbx from my laptop - so I have not lost everything; however, my concern was for this situation occurring to other users. I run behind a firewall, antivirus has not hiccupped. My system is Win8.

Hope this info is helpful.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-27

my concern was for this situation occurring to other users.

Thank-you for notifying the forum of your experience.

At present, it seems unlikely that your trouble was caused by a flaw in KeePass 2.23 (as opposed to a transient hardware/software problem or user error). KeePass 2.23 has been downloaded approx 170,000 times in the last week (7-21-2013 to 7-27-2013). If KeePass 2.23 contained a corruption causing flaw, the signal (i.e. complaints on this forum) would be much larger than it presently is.

If you are using Vista or later you may be able to recover a copy of your database that predates the database corruption and is more recent than your current backup copy by using Windows Previous version feature.

• Holly Aday
    Holly Aday
    2013-07-27

I have installed numerous KeePass updates with NO subsequent problems - this is a first for me.

As I indicated in the earlier post, my system is Win8 Pro.

I keep KeePass up to date - in the process of attempting to solve this dilemma, I reinstalled 2.23 and attempted to access the 'new' kdbx - I got the same results - that is when I decided to 'go back' a version - so it appears that something is wrong with 2.23.

If you have any ideas, they will be appreciated OR I'll just wait for the 'next' update and hope I have better success.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-27

I keep KeePass up to date - in the process of attempting to solve this dilemma, I reinstalled 2.23 and attempted to access the 'new' kdbx - I got the same results

As I understand the description of your problem. You created a new empty database using KeePass 2.23 (containing only the two built in sample entries), saved it and tried to re-open it but failed. Is that correct?

What was the exact error message?

Do you have any plugins installed?

I won't be able to respond to posts for the next several hours.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-07-27
  • Holly Aday
    Holly Aday
    2013-07-27

I copied the info over from my Laptop - made several copies of the kdbx so I would retain a 'good' one in case it went south.

Reinstalled 2.23 and attempted to access the kdbx that was working fine on 2.22.

I continue to get the message that this is not a KeePass file OR it is corrupted.

On the first go round, I had attempted to use the recovery utility - it did absolutely nothing - no screens, no response, as if it wasn't there at all.

Is it perhaps a 'bad' download of 2.23?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-27

I copied the info over from my Laptop - made several copies of the kdbx so I would retain a 'good' one in case it went south.

Reinstalled 2.23 and attempted to access the kdbx that was working fine on 2.22.

Ok, got it. You are working with a known good copy of a KeePass 2.x database (.kdbx file) that can be opened in KeePass 2.22 but not KeePass 2.23.

Does the Master Key consist of just a password or does it include a key file and/or link to Windows user account?

I continue to get the message that this is not a KeePass file OR it is corrupted.

The KeePass 2.23 error message that most nearly matches the error message you report is:

Failed to load the specified file!
    The file signature is invalid. Either the file isn't a KeePass database file at all or it is corrupted.

When KeePass encounters this issue, it does not open or modify the file. Therefore, if the file was a known good copy of a .kdbx file it will not been damaged by the attempted opening. You should still be able to open the file in KeePass 2.22.

Is it perhaps a 'bad' download of 2.23?

If you wish to check whether you downloaded a damaged file you can check the Hash Sums of the downloaded copy against the published sums

The following procedure will establish whether your database contains data that KeePass 2.22 can process but that KeePass 2.23 can not.

Notes: The ZIP versions are the same executable files without a windows installer. For this test to be valid it is important that the installations be default installations.

IMPORTANT: This test is not valid if do not exit KeePass at the end of each phase and verify that there are no running instances of KeePass.exe running in task manager.

1. Install copies of KeePass 2.23 and 2.22 using the respective ZIP versions. There is no need to uninstall other copies of KeePass but they will not be used in this test.
      • Copy the files from each zip file to separate temporary folders on your desktop.
      • Make sure no instances of KeePass are running by checking for running KeePass processes in task manager.
    2. Copy a known good copy of your database to the desktop.
      • Check the properties of the .kdbx file
      • Record the size, Created, Modified & Accessed date & time stamps
    3. Open KeePass 2.22 without a database by running the exe from the temporary folder.
      • If KeePass prompts for a password report this and stop.
      • Visually verify that you are running KeePass 2.22 Help>About KeePass..
      • Use File>Open to navigate to the known good copy of your database on your desktop, open it.
      • Record the check boxes and fields you filled in on the Enter Master Key dialog. You can reveal the password as you type it by pressing the "..." button to the right of the password field.
      • Verify that you successfully opened the database
      • Exit KeePass and confirm that no KeePass processes are running in task manager.
      • Record the size, Created, Modified & Accessed date & time stamps of the .kdbx file
    4. Open KeePass 2.23 without a database by running the exe from the temporary folder.
      • If KeePass prompts for a password report this and stop.
      • Verify that you are running KeePass 2.23 Help>About KeePass..
      • Use File>Open to navigate to the known good copy of your database on your desktop, open it.
      • Record the check boxes and fields you filled in on the Enter Master Key dialog. You can reveal the password as you type it by pressing the "..." button to the right of the password field.
      • If you can not open the database record the error message
      • Exit KeePass and confirm that no KeePass processes are running in task manager.
      • Record the size, Created, Modified & Accessed date & time stamps of the .kdbx file
    5. Repeat step 3 to verify that the database can still be opened by KeePass 2.22

Last edit: wellread1 2013-07-28
  • Holly Aday
    Holly Aday
    2013-07-27

Hello, thanks for the instructions, I will attempt this tomorrow.

This is the message I keep getting:
    The file signature is invalid. Either the file isn't a KeePass database file at all or it is corrupted.

I appreciate your assistance and will let you know how it all comes out.

HA