Global auto-type doesn't work

Help
2005-08-05
2012-11-19
  • I just installed KeePass and found it quite useful. However, when I tried to use global auto-type (GAT) hotkey, some of them work and some of them do not work. It's quite strange. I finally noticed I had to write "window's name (title)" instead of URL in that field. However, while GAT hotkey works fine with my Paypal, it doesn't work with my comics.com site. I filled note field as:

Auto-Type: {USERNAME} {TAB} {PASSWORD} {ENTER}
    Auto-Type-Window: Comics Extra*

URL for this site is: https://members.comics.com/members/registration/login.do

(1) I wonder whether KeePass works fine with https
    (2) Comics Extra is the window title for that URL
    (3) If I use "Copy Username to clipboard" and "Copy password to clipboard", they work fine.
    (4) If I use "Perform Auto-Type", it doesn't work.
    (5) I am sure that website is ok. It works if I manually type my email and password in that website.

It's quite strange. I am wondering whether GAT hotkey is stable and safe. Any suggestion? Thanks.

• I tried your example and it works fine for me.
      I created a new entry and cut-n-paste your Auto-Type lines.

I went to the URL you provided, typed Ctral-Alt-A, presto.
      I even tried it in both IE and Firefox.
      I'm on Windows 2000 Pro.

Try making a new entry from scratch.
      Dunno why it's not working for you.

• I forgot to mention that KeePass did help me auto type the username and password, but it offered a wrong password. However, when I used "Copy username to clipboard" and "Copy password to clipboard", it worked fine. It's pretty weird. :-(
      Thank you for your help.

Michael Wu

• I have a question about GAT hotkey. Does GAT hotkey activate only one password combination and help users fill in all those websites? (for example, five websites use the same username and password so that GAT hotkey can help user auto type them) Or, GAT hokey can activate many different username and password combinations depending on auto-type window associations they match. The first GAT hotkey works fine and the passowrd has 8 characters (8 asterisks). I found out that KeePass can't auto type correct password except the first website. KeePass now auto types 8 characters (8 asterisks) even though I only use 6 characters (6 asterisks) in my second and third websites. Does it happen to any other users?

• Paul
      Paul
      2005-08-07

GAT works properly, except when using the right Ctrl-Alt keys.

Each entry in KeePass is able to type it's details via GAT, as long as the title is unique. If you have multiple IDs on the same website, GAT will use the first entry that matches.

If you have five web sites with different titles but the same IDs, you would need five different KeePass entries.

cheers, Paul

• HandsomeGuy
      HandsomeGuy
      2005-09-06

I just had similar problems and I discovered that you can't have spaces between the keypresses.

Change
      Auto-Type: {USERNAME} {TAB} {PASSWORD} {ENTER}

to
      Auto-Type: {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD} {ENTER}

and it should work fine.

• Paul
      Paul
      2005-09-06

Spaces between keypresses means "press space". This is useful for ticking option boxes, or just typing spaces.

cheers, Paul