Help
Tim
2012-02-13
2014-10-11
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • Tim
    Tim
    2012-02-13

I've been using KeePass 2.10 for several years now, logging in with a master password. I went to log in today and I get the following error:

Failed to load the specific file!
    The composite key is invalid!
    Make sure composite key is correct and try again.

I'm not using a key. And I have never changed my password, so why am I not able to login? Has anyone experienced this before? How did you resolve the issue or am I SOL and just lost all my passwords?

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-02-13

There are 2 likely possibilities.
    1. You mistyped your password. Try typing the password into Notepad to be sure.
    2. You have opened the wrong database or the database is corrupt. Check the database / restore from a backup.

cheers, Paul

• Anthony Silva
    Anthony Silva
    2012-02-15

I am having this same problem only with a couple differences:

1. I upgraded versions from 2.09 to 2.18 (however, I also tried going back down to 2.09 when 2.18 didn't work to no avail).
    2. I upgraded my win7 install to 64-bit via a reinstall.

I have triple-checked my password and the .kbdx file was copied to another drive during the reinstall and then back when it was complete. As with tlawrence36, I have been using this for years and now I'm up a creek if I can't get my passwords back! Help please!

• Anthony Silva
    Anthony Silva
    2012-02-15

FYI, that upgrade was from 32-bit win7 to 64-bit win7. Also, I have restored the database from a backup and it's still not working.

Going to try installing on another 32-bit laptop I have and see if I can load it there…

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-02-15

Did you use a key file or Windows User Account as well as a password?
    Have you ever been able to open the database on another machine?
    Are you sure you are using the correct database file?

cheers, Paul

• Anthony Silva
    Anthony Silva
    2012-02-16

Turns out I was using a key and hadn't selected it. Apologies and thanks :)

• tzantow
    tzantow
    2012-02-16

Windows Update! - I used Keepass yesterday with no issues. Automatic updates ran last night and now I can't open Keepass with the same error you had. I tried on another machine that had not yet run the automatic updates and the database opened. When I shut that machine down, the automatic updates ran and now I can't open Keepass on that machine. - I'm working to try to figure out which update it was.

• tzantow
    tzantow
    2012-02-16

I now strongly suspect KB2647516 (MS12-010: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer). When troubleshooting, I tried uninstalling updates that I installed yesterday and when I tried to uninstall this one, it complained that Keepass might not run after uninstalling the update. Since it wasn't working before I uninstalled it, I had nothing to lose. Uninstalling didn't fix the problem, but it is highly suspect. I will try system restore next.

• Anonymous
    2012-02-17

I am actually having the same problem… Very disturbing!

• Joss
    Joss
    2012-02-28

Hi,
    I upgraded to 2.18 and my database can't open now.
    It says "The composite key is invalid".
    I' ve been using this database for like 4 years now and never changed the password..
    Anyone can tell how do I recover my database?
    The scenario is:
    - the database is stored in a folder in Linux server protected by username and password.
    - I recently added a new computer to my needs, a windwows 7 professional notebook.
    - Installed 2.18 and made my work, updated som password and so on.
    - Once I went to save, the software told me that it was unable to save.
    - I made a local copy of the database using "save as "
    - I thought there could be a problem over the network… brand new computer, maybe some backgroud windows update or some crappy adobe update, etc…
    - anyway, since that moment I'm unable to open my database, the one stored on the server nor the one saved locally.

Any idea?
    I'm kinda fucked if I lost 100++ passwords….

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-02-28

V2 uses a different format and won't open a V1 database via File > Open.
    Create a new empty database in V2, then import the V1 database via File > Import.

cheers, Paul

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-02-28

Oops! Helps if you read the whole thread properly :(

Was the database already in V2 format?
    Can you copy the database from the Linux machine to a Windows machine and then open it?
    Do you need a key file and password?

cheers, Paul

• Joss
    Joss
    2012-02-29

Well, it turns out that a restore, from the weekly backup, fixed the problem.
    Too bad I have no more the (I guess) corrupted database.
    Anyway, it works pretty well from any pc now.
    I'm 99% sure the password I was typing was correct, but … who knows, maybe I mistyped it.
    bah… have no idea though, the good news is the database is back in action, even if some passwords are lost. No tragedy, I can recover using the "password recovery" option with the website I could have password related problems.

• floyd
    floyd
    2012-03-29

I had this happen to me this morning. After reading these posts what I did was open a backup that I had which opened on the first try. Then after closing it I tried the current database and it opened up. I am 100% sure that I was not mistyping the password since I tried it many times and it is a fairly simple password. If you don't have a backup database then maybe just creating a temporary database would have the same effect.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-03-29

Opening another database makes no difference. The composite key must match the database you are attempting to open.
    Sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees - I certainly have this problem, often.

cheers, Paul

• Mario
    Mario
    2013-10-12

This software is so bad. I've just installed it for the first time and entered some records. After one hour, software were unavailable to use anymore. Simply I haven't opportunity to do anything that will affect to this application (windows update, moving to USB or backup passwords). Software was installed on hard disc and gave me a message: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt..". My PC is working normally, everything is accessible on hard disc. Only this application is not working.
    It's so sad, this software should be reliable and confident. But it is like anything else for free - simply worthless stupidity. Sorry, I don't trust you anymore. Good old notebook file keeps better all passwords, than your 'software'. I will deinstall it and forget it.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-10-13

A bit less abuse would have been nice. We all like things to be nice, especially when it's anonymous.

cheers, Paul

• difuori
    difuori
    2014-02-04

Hi, I am having the same problem and have already tried everything in the last days:
    - typed the password in text editor and copy/paste
    - tried to open a copy of the DB (backup) from last sept. and one from last dec.
    - tried all files on another pc
    - tried the import / repair mode
    - uninstalled v2.23 and installed v2.25
    Any further idea on what I could do?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-04

1. Did you ever link your KeePass database to your Windows user account?
    2. Has your disk drive failed recently?
    3. Have you reinstalled Windows recently?
    4. Have you created a new user profile recently (e.g. created a new user or re-created an old user)? If so is it you current account?
    5. Did you ever use a key file?
    6. Did you ever use any plugins? if so which ones?
    7. Did you reveal your Master Password as you typed it and verified it was correct (press the "..." button to the right of the Master Password input)?
    8. What have you done to verify that you are opening the correct database?

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-04
  • difuori
    difuori
    2014-02-05

Thanks for the fast reply.
    1. no
    2. no
    3. no
    4. no
    5. no
    6. no
    7. tried
    8. I have three files, the current one and two backups, all with the same PW, ca. one year old, of 15 digits, small and capital letters and numbers
    I am really perplexed and disappointed.
    Does anyone know where to download v2.21 for a further try?

• Paul
    Paul
    2014-02-05

The correct password will open the database if the database is not corrupt. As you have tested on 2 backups it seems likely the password is not correct. You are also sure the password is correct so that leaves the possibility that you had an option ticked in the master password entry window and didn't realise it.
    Try ticking "Windows User Account" as well as entering the password.
    Search the computer for key files, usually ending in ".key" and select that in addition to the password.

If you want to try V2.21 there is a link on the downloads page to older versions.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-05

The KeePass database is an encrypted file. Since the encryption/decryption method has not changed across the KeePass minor versions of 2.x and 1.x, trying minor version numbers is pointless. The major versions have different file formats. However the complete archive is accessible here. Since you have known good copies of the database file (i.e. they are not corrupt) the only possibility is that you are entering the wrong Master Key.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-05
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-02-05

The last database format change in KeePass 2.x was KeePass 2.15. Later KeePass versions have always been backward compatible with earlier formats and as far as I know there have never been any problems reported.

A more direct link to archived KeePass program files is http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/files/

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-05
  • difuori
    difuori
    2014-02-07

Thank you for the detailed answers. Paul you are right: it was the Windows User Account option...
    Now I love this software again. Thanks a lot

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)