Printing Key file - Any good as a backup?

Help
Karore
2013-12-09
2013-12-09
  • Karore
    Karore
    2013-12-09

Hello people,

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've only just started using Keepass and I'm loving it so far. The only thing I'm concerned, however, is with the associated key file.

I've seen that opening the key file using a simple program such as notepad renders a very simple file and my question is: Can I print this file out and, in case I lose my key file, I just type all the file back in another .txt file and rename it to the appropriate name?

The reason for that is I don't have any real threat at home, and even if someone stole that piece of paper, they wouldn't know the master password. Now, the reason I want to use the key file is for avoiding any internet related thievery of my database/master password, but not keen on creating/managing several copies of the key file.

Thanks a lot for your help.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-09

Printing the key file is a very good form of backup because it is not stored with the KeePass database. I would make sure it is kept in a fire proof container though.

cheers, Paul

• Karore
    Karore
    2013-12-09

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I agree it is a good option since no one can access it (the paper sheet) and that's what it is supposed to be, a last resource in case my thumb drive decides to stop working.

Just tested it and seems to be working alright if a new file is created from scratch.

Thank you for your support!