Menu

Are There Database Limits

Help
2015-11-04
2015-12-08
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-04

Question: Are there any database limits in KeePass? Now that I have about 200 entries I cannot drag and drop. I have a section of my KeePass that I use as a template, I just copy the template, rename it and then drag and drop the copy to the correct place. This is no longer working. Sometimes exiting the program and restarting it would fix it but now that I have added about 20 more entires it is not working at all no matter what I do. This database will just keep getting bigger as we keep adding more and more devices on our network. We have about 5 entries per device due to many password for many different parts: Each has to have its own local password, IT password, unencryption password, etc. etc.

Ideas? Solutions?

• Paul

Paul - 2015-11-04

The only limits are Windows memory as the entire database must reside in memory when unlocked.

I have over 300 entries and can drag n drop. Is it just one group or all groups?

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2015-11-04

How much memory is KeePass using?

cheers, Paul

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-04

Thank you Paul.

According to Task Manager 56,300k on a 32GB machine. Plenty of memory on this workstation. Very weird as I have added more and more entries the drag and drop has stopped working.

It started as just drag and drop from one group to another. I would then just right mouse click and move it. But now many fucntions don't work. Iike double click to edit. I have to now right mouse click and edit from the menu. Seems to be getting worse the more and more I enter.

Any more thoughts???

Last edit: WindowsStar 2015-11-04
  • Paul

Paul - 2015-11-05

Remove any plug-ins and test.
    Try another machine.

cheers, Paul

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-07

Thanks Paul. No plug-ins. Same thing on 10 different machines including mine at home.

Corrupt Database?? Tools to fix?

• Paul

Paul - 2015-11-07

Is the database very big?
    Do you have a lot of entries in one group?
    Are you running it from a USB stick? Corrupt stick?
    Have you tried a new version of KeePass.exe - try the portable version?

cheers, Paul

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-07

o Database is 650K
    o About 100 entries in one group (so far), then 50 to 100 entries in each sub group.
    o Not on USB.
    o Database on a server 8 HD RAID 5 10GB NIC
    o Moved to secondary server just in case. 16 HD RAID 6 with 2 Teamed 10GB NIC (20GB Total Speed)
    o I tried from 10 different workstations all throughout the department.
    o I have tried the KeePass portable version and KeePass installed no difference.

Database access or speed should not be an issue. However I did copy it to my local hard drive and still have the drag and drop issues and the double click to edit.

I have back-up of each server's KeePass database going back 6 months. If I go back to versions with less entries it works fine. I have taken one of the older databases and spent several hours adding all the missing information and it seems fine at first but then I start to have the same issues with all the drag and drop feature stop working and the double click to edit. Very weird.

I took the database home copied it to my local workstation tested it and have the same issues. Moved the database to my home server. 8 HD RAID 5 with 4 teamed 1GB NIC (4GB Total Speed) same issues.

I really worry that I have pushed the software beyond its design. Each IP device on our network about 1600 devices has an encryption password and several other passwords. I don't have the database complete but at some point I believe there will be 6000 entries. I wonder if the anyone ever imaged a database that big with that many entries. I am impressed because everything else works very well. It is just the drag and drop and double click to edit. Again the background is that I have 20 master templates that I use for each type of password entry and I duplicate the template and then drag it to the correct group then double click to edit it with all the new information and password. So unfortunately this it gets a bit tedious to right mouse click and go through all the steps to move it and then to right mouse click to edit it.

Thanks for the help....any other ideas?

Last edit: WindowsStar 2015-11-07
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-11-07

You could try exporting your database as a 'KeePass XML (2.x)' file. Then import the xml file it into a new, empty database. Remove the folders in the new database before importing, they won't be used. Use the 'Overwrite Existing' [UUIDs] import option if you use field references or they will break. Otherwise use the default 'Create New IDs'.

Be sure to securely delete the file after the import is complete, the exported data is unecrypted.

Last edit: wellread1 2015-11-07
  • WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-07

@wellread1 I will give it a try on Monday when I am back in the office. Many Thanks.

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-10

We were beyond busy today. There wasn't anytime to try out a new database. Hopefully Wednesday.

• irtfur

irtfur - 2015-11-13

Hello guys,

Didn't wanted to start the new topic - perhaps this is something related. On Windows I can easily drag and drop entries from one group to another. That also works Ok with multiple entries - I can just select multiple entries in group #1 and drag them to group #2 and all are successfully moved.

There seems to be an issue, however, with how this works on Linux. I've tried KeePass 2.25 and 2.30 on Ubuntu and here I can only drag one item at a time. If I select multiple entries and start dragging, only the one I started dragging on remains selected, others get de-selected and when I drop to the target group, only this one entry gets moved.

Is this a known issue? Do you guys also experience this? Just in case - all happens withing same database.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-11-13

Last edit: wellread1 2015-11-13
  • Paul

Paul - 2015-11-14

It's probably a mono issue and the easy work around is to move one item at a time.

cheers, Paul

• irtfur

irtfur - 2015-11-14

Hi Paul,

Thanks for a suggestion. I've just tested this with few versions of mono, inluding the latest alpha and the issue persists.

How do you think this should be proceeded? Should this be added as a KeePass ticket to for now, and if it indeed ends up being mono issue it can be then escalated to mono-project?

Thanks

Last edit: irtfur 2015-11-14
  • T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2015-11-14

Dominik has already put in a great deal of effort to work around the shortcomings of mono, so if this is a mono issue (and at this point it looks like it is), it's not likely that there's anything more that can be done from this end. I suggest you report this as (yet another) mono bug.

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-14

Ok, I finally had the time to create the new database as suggested. It was a lot of work and I did not import anything everything was typed in brand new. I still have the problem now that the database has about 300 entries I cannot drag and drop and double click to edit does not work. There is something in the application that is a miss??. A fix would be really good as I have a lot of time invested into KeePass. I really need the drag and drop to work and the double click to edit. Thank you everyone for your time.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-11-14

I have not experienced any drag & drop or double-click trouble with a large database (800+ entries, 2MB compressed file size) on multiple machines of various capabilities (including a vintage 2004 Celeron M) with various Windows OSes.

Aside from your report, I don't recall other significant reports of intra-database drag and drop issues on the Windows platform. Unfortunately, nothing that you have disclosed so far suggests anything that would account for the problem you are experiencing.

You could download and test the large entry count (900 entries) example database at: https://sourceforge.net/p/kpenhentryview/discussion/general/thread/4094df14/#ed59; Master Key "test" (without the quotes) . Or, you could prepare and post an example database containing non-confidential data so that it can be tested to confirm the problem. It doesn't take long to build a large database using 'Edit>Duplicate' to duplicate a single entry or a few different entries many times; or use 'Tools>Generate Password list...' to create a large number of basic entries containing different passwords.

Last edit: wellread1 2015-11-14
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-11-14

What version of .NET is installed on the machine(s)?

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-23

Looks like every version of .NET is installed with all the updates from Microsoft too.

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-11-23

Is there any way to post a video on this site? I think a video demoing what is happening would help.

• Paul

Paul - 2015-11-23

A video won't help us find the problem. We need a copy of a database that fails for you so we can test.
    Have you tested with the large database wellread suggested above?

cheers, Paul

• WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-12-03

After a lot of testing I believe it has something to do with how the program stores stuff on the clipboard and if you edit a lot of entries in the same group (Why? because after a lot of editing the clipboard will start to run a bar across the bottom of the screen stating clearing in xx amount of seconds, seems like it gets stuck in a loop and now cut and paste does not work). I have tested on several databases and can duplicate the issue. My thinking is still providing a video would demo the problem as now I have found is not the database but using the program over time and doing a lot of editing.

If a video demo will not help then I can strip a database but someone is going to need to spend several hours editing the database before the problem will show up. Or if you want use a database you already have that has a lot of entries and edit it over about 4 hours adding, deleting, moving, changing information and then all of a sudden you will not be able to double click and edit or the cut and paste timer will start scrolling. Now the only way you will have to edit is to press enter or right mouse click and select edit. If you change groups the double click might start working again or it may not.

Please keep in mind. I have completely rebuilt my database from scratch with to too many hours invested to count. I have tried the database on 10 different workstations from 6GB to 32GB RAM, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2. I have had the database on a USB drive, local hard drive, on a local SSD drive, and on a network share. I have taken the database home on USB then emailed it to myself then FTPed it to my home. I have tried it on my Server at Home Windows Server 2008 R2 and on my workstations at home. I have used KeePass Portable and KeePass installed .... All the above configurations have had .NET in just about every flavor and have all different types of software. .... all with the same results.

I really have put a lot of time into tracking this issue. I thank everyone for their suggestions please keep them coming.

Thoughts??

• Paul

Paul - 2015-12-03

Are you saying that when the clipboard plays up, after several hours of prolonged use, then drag n drop between groups also fails?

cheers, Paul

Last edit: Paul 2015-12-08
  • WindowsStar

WindowsStar - 2015-12-08

Sorry it takes me so long to reply. I work a 70 hour a week job and it takes me a while to work on other issues. I do thank you for keeping up with this issue.

To answer the question I believe the answer to the question is yes, if by play up you mean the clipboard starts running the LED bar on the bottom of the screen.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)