Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Do I need to lock Keepass?

Help
Nellie Pan
2012-05-27
2012-11-19
  • Nellie Pan
    Nellie Pan
    2012-05-27

Is there a security risk keeping keepass open all the time?
    I read in another forum that the lock function is only useful if you have other people using your computer. I only use keepass at home so I am not worried that someone else will use my computer. It is a pain to have to type in the master password everytime I use Keepass. I don't exactly expect to be hacked anytime soon either, but you never know.
    So is it ok for me to have the database open all the time?
    Thank you.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2012-05-27

You are in the best position to determine whether leaving the database unlocked is too risky.  Leaving the KeePass database open is more risky than keeping it locked.  However,  if you practice vigilance when online, maintain adequate protection against viruses and other malicious code, and have physical control of your computer, then leaving your keepass database open for extended time periods could be OK.

-wellread1

• Nellie Pan
    Nellie Pan
    2012-05-27

So is locking your database the recommended procedure for most people? How do most people do it? And if I do keep my database unlocked will that leave it completely open for malware or hackers or whatever with all my important passwords in it? Wouldn't that kinda destroy the purpose of the Keepass program?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2012-05-27

When KeePass is unlocked the data is not encrypted. If you are concerned keep the database locked when you aren't using it.

-wellread1

• Nellie Pan
    Nellie Pan
    2012-05-28

Ok, thank you. I think I will keep locking the database then.