Menu

[HELP] KeePass portable - .exe still on other computer?

Help
salc
2014-08-07
2014-08-09
  • salc

salc - 2014-08-07

Hello,

So I wanted to try out KeePass portable on another computer before I head off to college -
    My set up is this: the Keepass portable.exe and the database file are stored in Google Drive.

The first thing I do is download the .exe and run it. I point it to the database URL on Google drive and it successfully opens my passwords.

When I'm done using it, how do I get rid of everything from the computer I'm on? I obviously wouldn't want someone else to access KeePass, right?

• Paul

Paul - 2014-08-07

Not an issue. KeePass.exe allows someone to open a KeePass database, but your master key is secure so they may know your database location, but won't be able to open it.
    You are more likely to not be able to download the executable, so using a USB key may be a better option.

To remove all references to your database location you need to either tell KeePass not to store the path or set the option in KeePass.config.xml. You also need to remove the details from Windows MRU list, which is a registry change.

cheers, Paul

• salc

salc - 2014-08-08

Thanks for your reply @Paul!

I think I'd rather stick to the convenience of the cloud, if possible!

How would I tell KeePass not to store the path? I'm not sure what you're talking about, to be honest.

The person won't be able to access my database, but it'd still leave an unused program on their computer - I don't think they'd like that too much!

• Paul

Paul - 2014-08-08

You set a line in KeePass.config.xml - specifically "MaxItemCount" - which is stored in the same location as KeePass.exe.
    Save this text as KeePass.config.xml before running KeePass. You can also save it with KeePass.exe in the cloud.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Configuration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
        <Meta>
            <PreferUserConfiguration>false</PreferUserConfiguration>
            <OmitItemsWithDefaultValues>true</OmitItemsWithDefaultValues>
        </Meta>
        <Application>
            <LastUsedFile>
                <Path />
                <CredProtMode>Obf</CredProtMode>
                <CredSaveMode>NoSave</CredSaveMode>
            </LastUsedFile>
            <MostRecentlyUsed>
                <MaxItemCount>0</MaxItemCount>
                <Items />
            </MostRecentlyUsed>
            <RememberWorkingDirectories>false</RememberWorkingDirectories>
            <WorkingDirectories />
            <Start>
                <OpenLastFile>false</OpenLastFile>
                <CheckForUpdate>false</CheckForUpdate>
                <CheckForUpdateConfigured>true</CheckForUpdateConfigured>
            </Start>
            <FileOpening />
            <FileClosing />
            <TriggerSystem>
                <Triggers />
            </TriggerSystem>
        </Application>
        <Logging />
        <Native />
        <Defaults>
            <OptionsTabIndex>0</OptionsTabIndex>
            <SearchParameters>
                <ComparisonMode>InvariantCultureIgnoreCase</ComparisonMode>
            </SearchParameters>
            <RememberKeySources>false</RememberKeySources>
            <KeySources />
        </Defaults>
        <Custom />
    </Configuration>

Alternatively remove any KeePass files you installed, specifically KeePass.config.xml.

Removing the MRU from the registry is not easy, I suggest a search with your favourite search engine.

cheers, Paul

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-08-08

MaxItemCount can also be edited through the UI: 'Tools' -> 'Options' -> tab 'Interface' -> set 'Remember recently used files' to the value of your choice (e.g. 0).

Best regards,
    Dominik

• A. K.

A. K. - 2014-08-09

Please also be aware, that on the foreign computer there may be keylogger installed. Hacker can then get access to your Google Drive, download database and open it with recorded password.