Help with opening my kdbx file

Help
WorriedMom
2013-11-09
2013-11-22
  • WorriedMom
    WorriedMom
    2013-11-09

Hi there. I have received an error of: Failed to load the specified file! The composite key is invalid! Make sure the composite key is correct and try again.
    when trying to access my .kdbx file. I know for sure that this is the correct password, as I have used it many, many times and I am the only one who has access to my file. Is there something I can do about this? Please help, there are very sentimental personal files at stake.

• Benoit
      Benoit
      2013-11-22

Hi,

IF, by any means you changed the location of your db file or the directory in which it resides, then the program will try to find it at the previous location, which will lead to a failure.

You will then have to "open" your file at the new location. Remember that the db file comes in pair : one .kdbx file (the db) and one .key file (to decode your password). If you open your db file at the new location, make sure that the Key file field under the Password field is checked and that it points to the .key file in your new location. Only then will your password work !

Regards, iBenny

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-11-10

If you don't have a backup of your KeePass database, aren't using a modern operating system with Previous Copies available, and are certain that you are using the correct Master Key, and your have tried the repair database process without success, then the only recourse is to begin contacting the various sites and institutions to recover access to your accounts. There is no backdoor to KeePass.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-11-10
  • steelej
    steelej
    2013-11-10

Are you using just a KeePass password, or have you used your Windows account or some additional key file?

• Bernie Payne
    Bernie Payne
    2013-11-12

Hi - I am a new user and have a similar problem. If I open the KeePass program without specifying a Key File, it finds the previously-stored database and opens fine. However if, for instance, I then use "File->Save As->Save To File" to write a copy of the file to my directory, when I close down and reopen the KeePass program, if I specify the file I have just written as the Key File I encounter the same error as user WorriedMom above, viz " Failed to load the specified file! The composite key is invalid!" etc...

I thought saving to file was the standard way to taking a backup of the database. Am I making a simple mistake or is there a bug? I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. Thanks for any advice you can give.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-11-12

... I then use "File->Save As->Save To File" to write a copy of the file to my directory, when I close down and reopen the KeePass program, if I specify the file I have just written as the Key File I encounter the same error...

A key file is not the database, it is an optional part of a Master Key. The path to the database that is being opened is displayed just under the words "Enter Master Key". The path can not be changed on the "Enter Master Key" dialog.

If you wish to open a newly created database, press the cancel button on "Enter Master Key" dialog. KeePass will open without a database. Then use File>Open to navigate to the new database and open it. Alternatively you can find the new database using Windows Explorer and double click on it. It will open in KeePass, provided that the database file extension is associated with KeePass.