Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

both of my .kdb backups are corrupt? Seems unlikely

Help
Lee Baker
2013-07-22
2013-07-23
  • Lee Baker
    Lee Baker
    2013-07-22

After a hard drive failure, I was forced to download a fresh copy of keypass. I had my original database saved both in the cloud and a copy on a thumb drive, but when I enter my master password I get a corrupt database error. I only used a master password, never a keyfile. Attempting to repair the database only gives me more errors that the database is corrupt. I find it hard to believe both backups of my database (from different sources) are corrupt. I have used the same master password for 3 years, so I know that isn't the issue. Are .kdb databases read or processed differently in all the various keypass1.x releases? I don't want to download every release and try them all for no reason.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-07-23

What is/are the exact error message(s)? The 1.x error codes may provide additional insight.

The most recent version of the KeePass 1.x can open all previous version .kdb files.
    If you receive an "Invalid/wrong key." (Error code: 0x00000004) when trying to open a known good copy of a .kdb file using the most recent version of KeePass 1.x (1.26) then it is because you are not supplying the correct Master Key.

If you suspect all of your database files are damaged and you don't have a backup, you may be able to recover a previous version from the cloud provider (e.g. Dropbox keeps previous versions of files for 30 days).