KeePass1 to KeePass2

Help
Don
2013-08-12
2013-08-13
  • Don
    Don
    2013-08-12

Apologies if this is already answered. I've been using KeePassX on Kubuntu. I want to move up to KeePass2, but it seems unable to import the XML file I exported from KeePassX. Is there a "Step by Step for Idiots" available? If not, would someone make one up?
    Here's what I've done:
    1. In KeePassX with the correct database open, I have exported to an XML file.
    2. I've opened KeePass2 and asked it to import the XML file. It doesn't complain or give me any error message, but none of my entries appear. I confess that I am baffled by the five import possibilities that KP2 displays, but I've tried each of them with no success.

Thanks in advance.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-08-12

Select "KeePassX XML" from the Password Managers section in the KeePass 2.x import dialog. KeePassX is a third party port of KeePass 1.x. Its XML export format is different from native KeePass 1.x.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-08-12

You should also be able to import the KeePassX .kdb file directly into KeePass 2.x. Select "KeePass KDB (1.x)" from the KeePass import selection. Make sure that you actually navigate to, and select the file to be imported (at the bottom of the "Import File/Data" dialog)

• Don
      Don
      2013-08-13

This worked wonderfully. Thank you. The "trick" is that KeePass2 can only do this sort of import in Windows, not Linux. As soon as I tried it on my Windows VM, it worked like a charm. Now I just have to transfer the generated .kdbx file over to my Linux machine, and I'm all set. I appreciate the help.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-08-12

You may wish to delete all the sub groups in your newly created KeePass 2.x database before you import the KeePassX database. If you don't, it may be hard to tell where the imported entries end up.