Email entry field?

Help
Jojo
2012-02-19
2012-11-19
  • Jojo
    Jojo
    2012-02-19

So after updating to the 2.18 release, I discovered that the plugin at http://code.google.com/p/kpenhancedlistview/ that I was using to have an email field entry field no longer works (since release 2.17).  And I am not sure if the author will update it further.

Will Keepass ever support the ability for users to add custom fields (such as an email field)?  If yes, when?  If not, why not?

• totya7
    totya7
    2012-02-19

Hi, custom field is working, add or edit entry/advanced tab/ string fields /add. After view/coonfigure columns, u can choice custom fields to show.

• Jojo
    Jojo
    2012-02-20

That isn't what I wanted.  I don't want to have to go to another tab and add a new "Email" filed for each entry I create.

What I wanted was the ability to add a new "Email" filed (or other fields to the mail Entry tab.  If there is a problem in form resize to accommodate the new fields, you could make the form scrollable.  Or even allow users to replace existing fields on the Entry record. 

For instance, the password "Quality:" field is useless to me.  Also the Expires" field is useless.  Could I replace one of these fields with an Email field instead?

• totya7
    totya7
    2012-02-20

With KPEntryTemplates plugin, u can create/edit custom entry without problems.

• Jojo
    Jojo
    2012-02-20

The following plugin is incompatible with the current KeePass version:
    KeePass Password Safe\Template\KPEntryTemplates.plgx

Have a look at the plugin's website for an appropriate version.

Is there a new version I should be replacing the old version with?

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2012-02-20

I've now added an item in the FAQ with a rather detailed explanation why I think that it's a bad idea to add an e-mail address field:
    http://keepass.info/help/base/faq_tech.html#email

Best regards
    Dominik

• Jojo
    Jojo
    2012-02-20

The problem with your logic Dominik is that you are focusing on only one type of user and one function - being able to do auto-login's using Keepass.

I don't use Keepass that way and I don't see a need to do so.  I let the browser memorize the login details and take care of the heavy lifting. After many years of net usage, I have yet to have anyone steal my userids and passwords from my browser cookies or other stores.

You are correct that the email field is sometimes used as the primary ID field. 

However, it is ALSO used if you want to change your email address, your password or other info, even if it isn't the primary ID. 

This is why I contend that it should not be buried somewhere in the notes area or in some extra field/column.  It should be on the primary tab and immediately available.

• totya7
    totya7
    2012-02-21

jojo99: The latest KPEntryTemplatesplugin is compatible with latest Keepass.

dreichl: Many user want separate email filed - long time ago. This is not simple email field quest, this is mean: different accounts in database. Example home account, jobb acc, hobby acc… etc. with different email address. This is simple.

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2012-02-21

True. I guess that most users use some form of data transfer to other applications (like e.g. auto-type, KeeForm, etc.), and all of these by default assume that the user name field is used for identification.

For users not using any form of data transfer, a separate e-mail field probably indeed wouldn't have any real disadvantages. These users can add custom string fields (on the 'Advanced' tab), or use the KPEntryTemplates plugin to add an e-mail field on the main tab of the entry dialog.

The latest version of KPEntryTemplates (currently being 6.01) is compatible with KeePass 2.18. A link to the website of the plugin can be found on http://keepass.info/plugins.html#kpentrytemplates

Best regards
    Dominik