Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

2.17 to 2.24 update appcrash with dropbox

Help
JMC
2013-12-11
2013-12-12
  • JMC
    JMC
    2013-12-11

I have been using portable version 2.17 on dropbox with success but have not been able to get the portable version of 2.24 to work. I get an APPCRASH error when launching 2.24 from dropbox. Repairing the .NET framework (version 4.5) has not helped. Version 2.24 runs fine off of a USB stick. Version 1.26 also works fine from dropbox and USB.

Any advice on what to try next? Am I stuck with version 1.26 if I want to use it with dropbox?

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-11

Are you saying you have the KeePass.exe file on DropBox? You should only ever keep the database (kdbx) on DropBox.

cheers, Paul

• JMC
    JMC
    2013-12-11

Yes, I have the KeePass.exe file on DropBox. Moving the KeePass.exe file to the desktop and keeping the kdbx file on DropBox solved the problem. Thanks for your help!

ps. KeePass is fantastic and I sent a small donation.

Last edit: JMC 2013-12-11
  • Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-12

The best (safest) way to run KeePass is to install it locally. This puts KeePass.exe in a location that is much harder for malware to access and therefore compromise your data.

cheers, Paul