How to trigger popup autofill with url or single character?

Help
nzwolf
2013-12-22
2013-12-23
  • nzwolf
    nzwolf
    2013-12-22

First, nice to be on such a nice forum with active participation from developers.

I am experimenting with Keepass portable in view of a transition from Roboform, where I have ca 1500 passwords and also a few "identities".

I still cannot figure out how to autofill from url. For instance, I have created an entry for AOL webmail. When I go to mail.aol.com , no Keepass window pops up. I CAN use auto-type and login with the complicated keyboard shortcut CTRL+ALT+[a letter] but the CTRL+ALT part is too inconvenient for me; I'd rather have a popup window appearing whenever the string aol.com in detected in the url... but is it possible with Keepass???

Alternatively, would it be possible to have a simpler keyboard shortcut, e.g. could I assign the character ` (oemtilde apostrophe) which I never use to trigger the autofill?

• nzwolf
    nzwolf
    2013-12-23

Hmmm I did come across that page before I posted, but I don't see how it explains to set global auto-type to one single key of the keyboard (as opposed to 3 keys currently).

Does a plug-in make the program less portable?

I am now experiencing another issue, i.e. whilst previously described login to aol mail works perfectly, auto login at mail.in.com (using the keyboard shortcut) does not. The program writes the password in clear in the url field and the browser tries to connect to http://password/ . It seems that the page mail.in.com does not focus on the username field when loaded; if I place the cursor in that field, then Keepass works flawlessly... but that's a lot of clicking and typing...

Last edit: nzwolf 2013-12-23
  • Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-23

You cannot set the Auto-Type hot key to a single key - this would prevent you using that key normally.

Using a plug-in makes KeePass less portable, but not much.

As I said, KeePass field completion is manual, which means you need to ensure the cursor is where you require it before triggering the Auto-Type.

If you don't want to take some responsibility for entering your secure credentials then KeePass is not for you. If you are happy to ensure that only the correct credentials are entered in the correct location and only when you want them, then KeePass is a very good password manager.

cheers, Paul

• nzwolf
    nzwolf
    2013-12-23

I never use the key ` ~ so I could probably assign it to Keepass using autohotkey.

I wonder if the fact that Keepass attempts to send the password in clear to http://password/ as described in my post above is not a security flaw.

I have great respect for lightweight portable programs and try to use as many as possible.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-23

You cannot set a single key, you have to use at least 2, one of which must be either Ctrl or Alt.

KeePass types wherever you have left the cursor. If that sends your password to the world it is not the fault of KeePass.

cheers, Paul