Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Need instructions for Tools-Options settings.

Help
2006-02-05
2012-11-19
  • Tools menu, Options, a large number of user settings are available. They aren't mentioned in Help, or am I overlooking something?

I don't understand many of those technical settings. So I need complete explanations & instructions.
    JB

• Paul
      Paul
      2006-02-06

There are inly a few very technical items, like use alternate auto-type, which could do with some explanation. The rest are self explanatory.

cheers, Paul

• Hi Paul,

not sure whether I agree with you here :-)

I think JB is right, all settings should be described in the help file.

But of cource we all know, Dominik doesn't have much time. But may be there are some volunteers :-)

• Bill Rubin
      Bill Rubin
      2006-02-06

I've noticed that quite a few recent posts in both the Help and Discussion fora would be answered directly by a comprehensive KeePass documentation.  The current KeePass documentation is incomplete. Geeks who are intimate with KeePass will find most  options 'self explanatory', but ordinary civilians will not.

So I agree that it would be great if someone volunteered to work with Dominik to write such documentation. In my view, this would include much more than just the option settings.

Bill Rubin

• Here's the list. I've put a question in brackets [] after those I don't understand...

Tools menu > Options (Settings)

Security tab:
      --Lock workspace when minimizing the main window.
      --Automatically lock workspace after the following number of seconds:
      --Disable unsafe (security-critical) operations like exports, etc.
      --Use more secure password edit controls
      --By default, new entries expire in the following number of days:

Interface (GUI) tab:
      --Display images on buttons
      --Show grid lines in password entry list [?-I dont notice any difference]
      --Automatically resize table columns when resizing the main window
      --Minimize to tray instead of taskbar
      --Close button (X) minimizes the main window instead of terminating the application
      Select a new font for the list controls:
      Every second row has a different background color. Use this color:

Files tab:
      Newline sequence:
      --Windows newline sequence (\r\n)  [?]
      --Unix newline sequence (\n) [?]
      --Mark database as modified on last-access time change  [?]

Memory tab:
      Clipboard behavior:
      --Timed: copy data to the clipboard and clear it automatically after some seconds
      --Enhanced: allow pasting only once and protect against clipboard spies
      Clipboard auto-clear time (seconds):

Setup tab:
      Create Association
      Remove Association
      --Use PuTTY for ssh: and telnet: URLs  [?]
      --Global auto-type hot key combination:  [?]

Advanced tab:

Integration
      --Start KeePass at Windows startup (for current user)
      --Single left click instead of double-click for default tray icon action
      --Use alternate auto-type method (minimize window)  [?]
      --Disable all auto-type features
      --Copy URLs to clipboard instead of launching them (exception: cmd://URLs)

Start and Exit
      --Remember last opened file
      --Automatically open last used database on startup
      --Start minimized and locked
      --Automatically save database on exit and workspace locking  [is this really 'and' or 'and/or' ?]
      --Limit to single instance  [of what?]

Immediately after opening a database
      --Show expired entries (if any)
      --Show entries that will expire soon (if any)

Backup
      --Save backups of modified entries into the 'Backup' group
      --Delete all backup entries before saving the database

Advanced
      --Automatically generate random passwords for entries
      --Include backup entries in quick searches (toolbar)
      --Show full path in the titlebar (instead of filename only)
      -- Exit program instead of locking the workspace after the specified time

JB

• Hi JB, thanks for the feedback and taking the time to list this here. This is very helpful.

• A real plus for 'ordinary civilians' would be an help button on each option tab, pointing to the appropriate manual section.

• John L. Galt
      John L. Galt
      2006-02-07

OR, conversely, a Help icon (as seen in the Windows GUI in most places) whenever help info is available that would pop up as a tool tip.

• --Show grid lines in password entry list [?-I dont notice any difference] -  I do see a difference, in 1.04, at least.  There's a set of Grid lines that now appear in the right hand window of the main operating panel.  Separates all the rows/columns.

--Windows newline sequence (\r\n) [?]
      --Unix newline sequence (\n) [?]  - In Windows and Unix, files have different delimiters between lines.  If you're going to export the database file between operating systems this becomes a concern.

--Use PuTTY for ssh: and telnet: URLs [?]  - PuTTY is an application which allows you to telnet or SSH to devices on a network.  These devices can include Unix hosts, Network gear, and more.  If you put a "telnet://host.name" instead of "http://host.name", KeePass wil be smart enough to launch PuTTY instead of Internet Explorer or someting else.  If you don't have to deal with telnet or SSH, you most likely will not worry about this option.

--Automatically save database on exit and workspace locking [is this really 'and' or 'and/or' ?] This will be an OR, because you can't exit and lock the workspace simultaneously.  (I don't think!)

--Limit to single instance [of what?] -- Of the program itself.  If you're limited to a single instance, attempting to run KeePass will simply bring the existing instance to the foreground.  If you do not have it limited, you can spawn multiple copies of the program, all running at once.  (And then you have to decide if you want each instance to have read/write access to the database, and run into various issues with multiple programs all accessing the same file.)

-----
      Those are just brief descriptions that aren't fit for a real user-friendly help section, but enough to let you know what they're doing.

• Fit enough. Thanks. That clarifies those sufficiently. How about these...

--Mark database as modified on last-access time change [?]
      Define "Mark". How/what happens when you mark it?
      And...
      Why bother to mark it?
      In other words, what is the result or effect of marking it as modified?

--Global auto-type hot key combination: [?]
      I have a general idea about this so could remove the question. I am using ctrl-v autotype with several secure website logins, but the global autotype description is more complex so haven't absorbed the details yet. It may require 10-20 re-readings then some meditation. :)

--Use alternate auto-type method (minimize window) [?]
      What alternate method? It needs a definition & explanation. How is a minimized window involved?

JB

• --Mark database as modified on last-access time change [?]

KeePass takes note of the time when you access any of your password entries.  If you have this setting enabled, KeePass will update the entry with that access time, requiring you to save the database before you close it so that the time stamp will be saved.  This feature allows you to ensure that you have an accurate record of last-access time for each entry.

--Global auto-type hot key combination: [?]

This is a key combination that (ideally) needs to be unique to KeePass, i.e., no other program can use this key combination for anything.  Global Auto-Type allows you to use this key combination to perform an auto-type without KeePass having focus, or even having the entry from which you are auto-typing selected.  Usually, you need to specify an Auto-Type-Window and, sometimes, you need to specify the Auto-Type text in the Notes field so that KeePass knows where and what to auto-type.

--Use alternate auto-type method (minimize window) [?]

I'm not as familiar with the alternate auto-type, but I believe it works by minimizing the KeePass window, deferring focus to the last open window, and then performing the auto-type sequence.  This is for using Ctrl-V from within KeePass, not for Global Auto-Type.

• Bill Rubin
      Bill Rubin
      2006-02-09

It seems to me heroic that so many people are spending so much energy to help one person.  In a few months, it will not be convenient for most people to access this thread.  Then, when a second person posts a similar query about options or other KeePass functionality, perhaps the same people or different people will attempt to reproduce a variant of these explanations again, as has already happened numerous times in the past.

In the long run, less effort would be expended, and more people would be satisfied with KeePass, if someone would volunteer to edit the above explanations and work with Dominik to integrate them into the KeePass help system.

Presumably Dominik would agree for this volunteer  to become a Developer, in the role of Documenter.

Just my opinion.

Bill Rubin

P.S:  No, I'm not volunteering for this position at this time.

• Hello People, I'm a bit perplexed as to what this program really does. Does it insert your passwords atomatically or does it just save all your passwords in one database that you need to open if you forget a password? I appreciate any help, Lost in PA

• Bill Rubin
      Bill Rubin
      2006-02-26

See what I mean?

Bill Rubin

• Paul
      Paul
      2006-02-26

KeePass is a place to store all of your passwords and protect them with one master password.
      It also types your passwords for you - saves you remembering anything except your master password.

cheers, Paul