Export to PasswordSafe

Help
Anonymous
2011-03-06
2012-11-19

• Anonymous
    2011-03-06

Hi,
    has anybody successfully exported a KeePass database to some format PasswordSafe (http://pwsafe.org/) understands?
    Is there maybe an XSL available for this?
    TIA,

Tobias

• Paul
    Paul
    2011-03-06

Nope. We don't mind making converters to convert to KeePass, but not the other way.
    Have you tried the pwsafe site?

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous
    2011-03-06

Thanks for the reply. Yes, tried that. They seem to have some keepass import, which did not work for me. I did'nt investigate that further because it's txt / csv based and putting my passwords unprotected somewhere is not something I want anyway.

There are some IPhone apps based on the pwsafe file format. I thought it might be possible to to some auto-export from within keepass to the IPhone.
    At least in the german app market, there seems to be no app that can read the KeePass file format. To me it seems, iKeePass and MyKeePass are not developed any further and are not available for IOS4.
    I'd love to use KeePass but I can't think of a nice way to export the passwords at least read-only to some iphone app.

• Paul
    Paul
    2011-03-06

The KeePass XML format is easy, you could write your own XSL?

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous
    2011-03-06

Yes, that would be a last resort. Still, I would have to import it with pwsafe into a database and save it. And it would involve unencrypted text files.
    There's a pwsafe file reader on codeproject (c# based). I thought about creating a writer and wrapping it in a KeePass plugin. As my encryption skills are not very good, I'm not quite sure if I should really give it a try.

• Paul
    Paul
    2011-03-06

It's OK to decrypt the database on your own PC - assuming you trust it not to have nasties.
    Does pwsafe import text files?

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous
    2011-03-06

Yes, it does. There's even a documented XML format and an 'Import from KeePass' menu item which expected txt or csv files but does not consume the files exported from KeePass without throwing errors. I will ask about that in the pwsafe forums.
    Anyway, there's no usable command line interface in the pwsafe programs I researched which would allow me to create a pwsafe file, so I think the only way to automate this would be create a native pwsafe file myself. All other approaches would require me to export my passwords from KeePass, manually start some other program to import the txt or csv file and then push them to the iphone.

Kind Regards, Tobias

• John
    John
    2012-05-05

What is an XSL file. How do I make one so I can export?

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-05-06

XSL is a template that tells the exporter how to format the data.
    Try the W3 schools online editor.

cheers, Paul

• Mike Dent
    Mike Dent
    2012-11-04

Just wondering if the OP got anywhere with this? I'm also struggling to import a CSV, XML file in to pwsafe from keepass.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-11-05

What format does pwsafe expect? It should be easy to view the KeePass data in HTML and then copy into a spreadsheet and re-format. There are XSL files in KeePass V2 that you can use as a starting point (KeePass\XSL).

cheers, Paul