Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Export to CSV with v2.19

Help
BrianG
2012-05-30
2012-11-22
  • BrianG
    BrianG
    2012-05-30

I have been keeping a .csv copy of the KeePass db on an encrypted portable HD in the event that I had a catastrophic issue and needed access to login credentials before such time as I could get Keepass installed and a backup restored.  I see that I exporting as a csv file is no longer an option.  I don't know when that changed (v2 perhaps?) but I am wondering if there is a way to store the contents of a kbdx file in csv format.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-06-03

Saving a CSV in an encrypted HD is the same as saving the KDBX to a non encrypted drive.
    Why not just keep a copy of KeePass.exe and the database together on a USB key.? Then you can use it on any PC that has .NET installed.

cheers, Paul

• Mark Elliott
    Mark Elliott
    2012-06-06

Keepass seems like a great product.  But I would feel more comfortable using it if I knew that I could export via CSV.
    I can't find this functionality in 2.19 - does anyone know if it is still supported ?

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2012-06-07

If you really want to export your data as plain text, I'd suggest to export to XML instead of CSV. The advantage of the XML format is that you can reimport it into KeePass without any data loss.

CSV is suited for data that can easily be arranged as a table, but not for complex semi-structured data. In KeePass there are different types of items (e.g. entries, groups, synchronization information, …) and dynamic data structures (e.g. custom user strings, arbitrarily many file attachments and auto-type definitions, …). These would not result in a nice table; a format like XML is much better suited.

Best regards
    Dominik

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-06-08

I would burn a copy of KeePass.exe and the database to a CD, test that it works, then hide it away for safe keeping. No need for an export then.

cheers, Paul

• Mark Elliott
    Mark Elliott
    2012-07-08

I am happy in the end with this compromise.  Thank you to everyone for their advice.
    1. I wanted a backup in an alternative format than KDBX, as an insurance measure.
    2. Dominik advised using XML. This  permits re-importing to Keepass but  can be processed alternatively if necessary.
    3. Then I put the XML into an encrypted ZIP using 7-ZIP (which I am told is also reasonably secure).

• Matt
    Matt
    2012-07-15

First, I want to say that I like the program and I have been using it since at least 2007 as that's the earliest creation date I found in my database. So please don't take my comments the wrong way. This is still a great tool that I wish more people that I know would use.

I've read through this topic and it doesn't appear that the original question was ever answered. Only workarounds were provided. Both of the people asking a question asked if it is possible to export to CSV. I came here with the same question. It appears that it was removed in version 2.19. I have version 2.18 on my thumb drive and it has CSV export functionality, but 2.19 installed on my PC does not appear to have this ability. However, when I read the feature list at http://keepass.info/features.html it still says that you can export to CSV. I also didn't see any mention in the changelog from 2.18 to 2.19 regarding removal of that feature. Why would it have been removed if it was indeed removed? I like the simplicity of having usernames and passwords available in an encrypted archive as a backup. I don't think I really need all of the other data personally. It's nice to have the other fields, but they aren't necessary. Username and password are what matters to me.

I just moved a friend to KeePass a few weeks ago and exporting to CSV is one of the things I showed him. I exported to XML first, but it wasn't really readable when I opened the file. If that's what we're left with, how do you open an XML file so that it is more user friendly when viewing it? I tried Excel, IE, Fx, and Notepad. This is why I like having the CSV option; you can open the CSV file in Excel and actually view the information or even print it if you wanted to do that.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-07-15

Export to CSV is missing from V2.19, don't know why.
    I exported using Customizable HTML File and that seems to be much more convenient than CSV, as you can open it on any computer, Windows / *nix / Mac.
    You need to remember to select all fields before the export.

cheers, Paul

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-07-15

I have noticed that handling of the export file name could be improved. If I type a path|filename to the export file but forget to put HTM/L on the end the export fails. If I select the directory and type the file name without HTM/L the dialog adds the extension.

cheers, Paul

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2012-07-15

Again, if you really want to export to a plain text file, I highly recommend exporting to a 2.x XML instead of a 1.x CSV file. 2.x XML files contain all information, whereas 1.x CSV files only contain a very limited subset of your data. Some people do not seem to realize this and later wonder why only very few data can be re-imported.

Anyway, I've now added the ability to export to 1.x CSV files again. Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_120715.zip

Paul, I'm not sure what you mean about the export failing. When you don't enter a file name extension in the standard Windows file selection dialog, KeePass appends it (independent of whether you specify just a file name or a full path). After closing the standard Windows file selection dialog, you should see this in the 'Export File/Data' dialog. In this dialog, you can remove the extension, if you wish (KeePass does not append it here automatically). Exporting to a file without the standard extension works fine for me.

Best regards
    Dominik

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-07-16

Dominik, I think a selectable field CSV export would be of value, particularly if people want to change manager.

cheers, Paul

• J-Mac
    J-Mac
    2012-08-09

I must agree that exporting to a CSV file is a must for me (and apparently others too!) XML does nothing for me - you need a "stylesheet" to read it and none is provided, so most of us will end up with a totally unreadable XML file that is worthless for all needs if reading the file by a human is desired. Why do I need CSV? Because I have logins stored in Keepass and in LastPass. LP is used for daily logins via the browser and Keepass is the keeper of ALL my passwords of all types. They get out of sync very easily because LastPass catches the new logins and changed logins; Keepass does not. I could open Keepass and manually enter new and changed logins but it is slow and doesn’t usually happen that way. So I need both files in a similar, readable format where I can open both in a Compare program and get them back in sync relatively quickly. As for all the other fields that are only included in the kdbx format, I don’t need those to do what I described above.

Just wanted to say why I need the export to CSV format. If the developer really doesn’t want it included anymore it should be stated in the documentation and de-listed from the Features list so that we aren't caught like this without the feature.

Thank you.

Jim

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-08-09

As you can export any or all fields to HTML format there isn't much need for a CSV export. HTML can be opened in a spreadsheet without issue. (yes, I have changed my opinion)  ;-))

cheers, Paul

• Don Griffith
    Don Griffith
    2012-08-20

Hi Fellow Users of KeePass,
    I too was having trouble in tying to xfer data from one computer to another.  I used the xml edition to export the data and then imported it to the empty keepass and it worked just perfect.  I tried reading it in the Open Office spreadsheet.  It was a chore but the data was there.
    Hoorah
    Don

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-08-22

There is no need to export KeePass data to transfer it to another computer. You can just copy the database and open it anywhere you like, as long as you have the master password / key file.

cheers, Paul

• steelej
    steelej
    2012-09-05

To add my input to this debate.

I have just looked at the export capabilities in 2.19 as I would like to keep an occasional backup in a human readable format. The HTML export does not include the Custom Strings.

I have started using custom strings for holding key items of data that I can't think where else I might store them. Examples include serial numbers of equipment that is registered for support.

Other examples include OS license keys for my MSDN licensed installations.

I use TeamViewer and it is also a convenient place to keep information about the computers I support. (User names, their passwords, notes about their configuration etc.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-09-10

If you select the Details layout you can export all fields.

cheers, Paul

• steelej
    steelej
    2012-09-10

That is what I thought. Unfortunately although the Check Box is present it is greyed out and cannot be selected. All the other fields can be selected individually.

I have not had the time yet to try v2.20 to see if the behaviour has changed.

• Dave
    Dave
    2012-11-17

I sorely miss the ability to export to a csv file.  I used to be able to do that and then manipulate it in Open Office Calc.

I have spent too much time already researching this.  Once I get a Keepass XML file, how do I convert it to a simple table that Open Office Calc can handle?  I am uninterested in complicated steps.

• Paul
    Paul
    2012-11-18

Use XML and the stylesheets provided with KeePass (in the XSL directory).

cheers, Paul

• steelej
    steelej
    2012-11-18

There have bee several comments about displaying results from the database. I have just tested my own file and using the free software XML notepad

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7973

You need to add a line like
    <?xml-stylesheet type=\"text/xsl\" href=\"C:\\Program Files\\KeePass Password Safe 2\\XSL\\KDBX_DetailsFull.xsl\"?>
    or
    <?xml-stylesheet type=\"text/xsl\" href=\"C:\\Program Files\\KeePass Password Safe 2\\XSL\\KDBX_Tabular.xsl\"?>
    as the second line in the file to render it.

Could there be an option to do this automatically?

I tried to include some sample output but it was prevented by the site spam filter.

• Dave
    Dave
    2012-11-21

I installed XML notepad and added the line but the response is "Your XML document contains no xml-stylesheet processing instruction."

Here's my addition, modified for my location: <?xml-stylesheet type=\"text/xsl\" href=\"R:\Dropbox\Keepass\XSL\KDB4_DetailsFull.xsl\"?>

I'm not prepared to debug this and don't relish modifying files anyway. Is there no straightforward way to do this conversion?

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2012-11-22

Like I wrote in my previous post, exporting to the KeePass 1.x CSV format has been added back again. Simply upgrade to KeePass 2.20.1 and you'll find it in 'File' -> 'Export'.

Instead of exporting to an XML file and adding a stylesheet manually, I'd recommend letting KeePass do this. Go 'File' -> 'Export', choose 'Transform using XSL Stylesheet', specify the location of the output file, click [OK], and select the XSL stylesheet to use.

Just to say it again: if you want a full plain-text backup of your database, you have to export to the 2.x XML format. All other exported files (CSV, output of XSL transformation, ...) contain only a subset of the data.

Best regards
    Dominik