Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Problem opening database

Help
Eva
2013-12-18
2013-12-21
  • Eva
    Eva
    2013-12-18

I was making some changes in Windows 7 registry and wanted to make sure that my KeePass database (which is called, NewDatabase.kdbx) would be available even if something happens to Windows. I decided to backup my database to a thumb drive and followed all the instructions on your help page. Before going into the registry, I wanted to look up a password in KeePass. 
     The minute KeePass loaded, I received an error message informing me that the composite key is invalid. When I closed the message, another screen appeared telling me that NewDatabase.key could not be found. I also tried to open it off of my thumb drive without any success.
     I really have no idea what to do next. Please help!

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-18

KeePass doesn't use the registry so there is likely to be another reason.
    Do you normally use a password, key file, Windows User Account or a combination?
    How did you backup the database? You should only ever copy the database file.

cheers, Paul

• Eva
      Eva
      2013-12-19

I usually use my password and have never really paid attention to either the key file or Windows User Account since I had no problems logging in. I copied the database to my thumb drive after unzipping on it the portable version of KeePass. I did not add or delete anything on my hard drive that relates to KeePass.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-12-18

The fact that KeePass noted a missing key file (called NewDatabase.key) after reporting that the composite key was wrong suggests that KeePass remembered that a key file was used the last time the particular database was successfully opened and that the key file is missing (e.g. it has been renamed, deleted, or the path is incorrect). Check that the name and path of the database shown on the Enter Master Key dialog is correct, also check the Key File option is checked and the correct key file is selected.

• Eva
      Eva
      2013-12-19

As I said in my reply to Paul, I was not even aware of having a key file. All I can find on my hard drive is a file that is called, NewDatabase_key, which is not what KeePass is looking for. I checked the location in which KeePass is looking for the key file, but the only file that even resembles what it's looking for is NewDatabase_key, which is not the correct file.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-12-19

Are you sure the name of your real database is NewDatabase.kdbx?

The key source information (i.e. name and path of database and key file) is not saved if the database is not opened successfully in the past, so you would not see the second error message unless the database used a key file or unless the config file is out-of-date. Check to see whether "Remember key sources (key file paths, provider paths...)" is checked in Tools>Options>Advanced(tab)>Advanced(section).

The appearance of the second error message can occur in three situations that I can think of:

1. You are trying to open the wrong database AND that database uses a key file as part of the Master Key
    2. You are trying to open the correct database AND that database uses a key file as part of the Master Key
    3. You are using a keepass.config.xml configuration file that contains out-of-date information about the key sources. If this is the case, press cancel at the Master Key dialog. Then use the File>Open dialog in KeePass to navigate to the correct database. When KeePass opens the Master Key dialog, override the defaults and enter the correct Master Key information.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-12-19
    • Eva
      Eva
      2013-12-20

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. Combining your suggestions with Paul's, I was finally able to open the database.
      Many, many thanks and Happy Holidays!
      All the best,
      Eva :-)

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-19

Try using NewDatabase_key as a key file and enter your password.

cheers, Paul

• Eva
    Eva
    2013-12-20

Between you and wellread1 I succeeded in opening my database. Many thanks for your help. I wish you Happy Holidays!
    All the best,
    Eva :-)

• I have the same problem http://i.imgur.com/mRJDFvo.png

I even have backup files created with "DB Backup Plugin" I cannot open any of them. I'm logging has always. I don't know what's screwed but this is a pain in the ass for an application which never should fail.

Lucky me that didn't change my gmail password account yet and I can recovery losts accounts with recovery.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-12-21

Are you sure your password is correct? Try showing the password - click on the 3 dots icon.

cheers, Paul