Husband Died, Need Help with KeePass Immediately

Help
2013-08-19
2013-08-25
  • Neal Boulton
    Neal Boulton
    2013-08-19

My husband died and I need help accessing his KeePass account. I can provide a physical death certificate paper and paper proof that I was his wife.

Last edit: Neal Boulton 2013-08-19
  • wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-08-19

Neal Boulton is a public person and there is no public report of his death. The phone number that was previously posted in the above post is a contact number published on his website (http://www.periodicalink.com/page/3223365).

• Neal Boulton
      Neal Boulton
      2013-08-19

I am Neal Boulton—attempting to help out my Mother with this. But thanks anyway...

• Dominik Reichl
    Dominik Reichl
    2013-08-19

Unfortunately we cannot help you, sorry. The best you can do is to try guessing the master key. There is no limit on the number of possible tries.

KeePass uses well-known, secure cryptographic algorithms [1]. There is no backdoor and no general key that can open all databases.

Best regards,
    Dominik

[1] http://keepass.info/help/base/security.html

• Neal Boulton
      Neal Boulton
      2013-08-19

Thank you. I am his son helping out my Mother, his wife, on this. It's absud that with her death certificate and proof of her being his spouse your company cannot giver her access to his accounts. Are you SURE there is no way—if she comes to your offices, or mails notarized documents to you that she cannot get SOME help here?

• Neal Boulton
    Neal Boulton
    2013-08-19

Thank you. I am his son helping out my Mother, his wife, on this. It's absud that with her death certificate and proof of her being his spouse your company cannot giver her access to his accounts. Are you SURE there is no way—if she comes to your offices, or mails notarized documents to you that she cannot get SOME help here?

• steelej
      steelej
      2013-08-19

It sounds as if you are trying to get to financial accounts where the account details (e.g. user names and passwords and perhaps some additional data) are held in KeePass. That is all KeePass is.

KeePass is, by design, a secure way of holding such data which makes it all but impossible for anyone without the secret key to unlock. Compare it to a bank vault that is locked and the key has been lost but in this case you cannot even blow open the door!

You have received a prompt and sympathetic reply from the author of the program (Dominik) who has confirmed that if you have no knowledge of the KeePass password then you will have to find some other way to contact the institutions whose access data is held in KeyPass.

Last edit: steelej 2013-08-19
  • Paul
    Paul
    2013-08-19

KeePass does not have accounts.
    If you need access to the Sourceforge accounts you need to contact Sourceforge.

cheers, Paul

• A. K.
    A. K.
    2013-08-25

I think, you do not understand the idea behind KeePass. This is not a company, holding user passwords on their servers (compare with LastPass). This is just a computer program, without server services. Each user stores its password database on own computer, in encrypted file (with KDB or KDBX extension). There is no central database which KeePass author can access. Even when user stores database file on some external server, it is still encrypted and even the server admin does not have access to it. There is no master key/certificate that can be used to open user's database. The only way to open these files is to know the valid password and/or keyfile. Even with notary papers no one could help you, as there is no backdoor or secretely stored password. If there will be some master key, the program would be useless as everyone (notice that this program is open source) will be able to open any database without knowing a password!
    You can hire a hacker to write brute-force cracker, which will try every possible password combination one by one. However, with a strong password and many encryption rounds it could take hundreds thousands of years. Maybe you are lucky and the password is not so strong?

Last edit: A. K. 2013-08-25