Try to create 2 entries for 2 page login_says Duplicate URL_it's not

Help
2013-05-29
2013-06-02
  • Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-05-29

Thought I knew (at least one way) to get around manually clicking on 2 different entries for bank 2 page logins. Thought I was fairly intelligent - apparently not.

This is pretty typical 2 page login - enter username on page 1 > Enter.
    That brings up p. 2. Verify some image - then enter PW in separate box on p.2 & Enter.

Problem:
    When I try to create a 2nd KP entry for p. 2, using the URL to identify p.2 (& also p.1), tells me it's a duplicate URL (it isn't).
    But, I went on & selected to use UUID to ID the 2nd entry / 2nd page.
    KP didn't like that either. I couldn't get it to stop giving "duplicate URL" entry, even though I'd deleted the URL, chosen identify by UUID.

1) The 1st & 2nd page of bank login don't have the same URLs. (nor same page titles).
    1st page for user name is www.bankname.ORG
    2nd page for PW input is www.secure-bankname.COM (a dash, not dot)

Neither pages have same page title.

Looked at other post / answers on this issue. I don't seem to find the magic sequence.
    I don't mind having 2 separate KP entries - for user name & PW screen, but I'd like to get it to autotype them when I get to each page
    You'd think it'd be easy to do since the 2 pages don't have same URLs or page titles - but I can't swing it.

When using the URL to "Identify Source Field By," what's the problem here when the 2 pages don't have same URL? Even if they did, I had auto type sequence on p.1 KP entry as username / enter; on p.2 had password / enter.

Ex: secure-xyz.COM & xyz.ORG are not the same domain or sub domain.

Yes, perhaps secure.xyz.com & xyz.com (or .org) are same domain.

Either way, for 2 page bank - type logins, what's the easiest way to get KP to global auto type (GAT), even if do have to use 2 separate KP entries? What should I be selecting in Identify Source Field By?
    Thanks.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-05-30

Either way, for 2 page bank - type logins, what's the easiest way to get KP to global auto type (GAT), even if do have to use 2 separate KP entries?

The standard way to setup up 2 page logins with a single auto-type is to place an "enter" after the username to trigger the page update, and add a delay to allow the 2nd page to be displayed before the password is entered. A typical sequence is:

{USERNAME}{ENTER}{DELAY 3500}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}

It is also useful to create a second, password only entry for those rare times when the username was accepted but something goes wrong at the password entry stage.

When I try to create a 2nd KP entry for p. 2, using the URL to identify p.2 (& also p.1), tells me it's a duplicate URL (it isn't).

KeePass does not check URLs, it only checks Window Titles (e.g. broswer tab title). The KeePass options that refer to URL's are primarily for use with the URL in Title plugins that post the URL of a web page to the browser tab, where KeePass can see it).

• Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-05-30

Thanks wellread, but there must be more to it on this bank page. My confusion comes from inconsistency of what must be present in KP, for auto type to work.

KeePass does not check URLs, it only checks Window Titles (e.g. broswer tab title)

I discovered there was an "extra" word entered in KP title for this bank, that wasn't contained in the actual page title. That's why it didn't work w/o selecting the page for Target Window, under auto type tab.

BUT...

Using your example of "standard way" for 2 page logins,
    {USERNAME}{ENTER}{DELAY 3500}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}
    Doesn't work here. Assume because on 2nd page, there's a "secret image" that I must check a box, if it's the correct image. Once the box is checked, the PW entry box appears.

EDIT:
    ALSO *** NEITHER the page title NOR URL of 1st & 2nd login page are the same .
    1st login page has title like: Happy Bank & URL = happybank.ORG.
    END EDIT.

2nd login page has title of "sign-on" and the URL =
    "secure-happybank.COM I'm sure this is a security feature, but don't know if KP can handle this case.

NOTE: I wouldn't want to auto check the "Yes" box, for "is this YOUR image," because that defeats its security purpose.

Using "{USERNAME}{ENTER}{DELAY 3500}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}" auto types P.1 & proceeds to P.2. I used a delay of 1000, which gives plenty of time for P.2 to load & for me to check "Yes" beside the image & then the PW entry box appears, with cursor in it.

Is this your Security Image and caption? Yes No

Once I checked the box "Yes" by image, the cursor moved to the PW box that appeared.

But, KP doesn't finish auto typing the PW on that page. Probably needs something else in the string.

Maybe under auto type, add 2 separate target windows for p.1 & 2, & sequence (user name & PW) for each respective window? No idea - just guessing.

Last edit: Brittney Smith 2013-05-30
  • Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-05-31

There may be a way for KP to GAT (only pressing hot keys once) on 2 login pages, and allow pause to check a box beside a security image, then it AUTO enter PW (mentioned above). I haven't found it.

Another method I tried & don't understand, is creating 2 custom sequences for
    the 1st & 2nd Target Windows. It sorta works.

If the KP entry title = 1st page title - Happy Bank
    & P.2 title = Sign-on,
    when I create 2 Target Window / sequences in auto type:
    "Happy Bank" - - {USERNAME}{ENTER},
    "Sign-on" - - {PASSWORD}{ENTER}
    Hitting GAT keys enters name & goes to P.2.
    Why then does KP (w/ cursor in PW box on P.2) when I hit GAT again, pop up a multiple choice screen, asking which I want to use: Happy Bank or Sign-on?
    It just typed UserName on P.1 title - Happy Bank; there's ONLY one entry left in the Custom Sequence window /w TITLE of "Sign-on."

The active window title is now "Sign-on." The custom sequence says (I think), enter the PW on page titled "Sign-on." But instead of me just hitting GAT again on P.2, I have to choose from the Custom Sequence list. Obviously, I'm missing something. Would KP really think I'd want to re enter my user name again? Or in this case, does KP not recognize that the active window is now "Sign-on?"

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-05-31

Why then does KP (w/ cursor in PW box on P.2) when I hit GAT again, pop up a multiple choice screen, asking which I want to use: Happy Bank or Sign-on?

The multiple choice screen will pop up if the "Target Window" phrases you defined in each auto-type sequence are contained in the web page's "Window Title".

This is pretty typical 2 page login - enter username on page 1 > Enter.
    That brings up p. 2. Verify some image - then enter PW in separate box on p.2 & Enter.

What is the exact, complete, window title of each web page that appears during login? What are you required to do in order to "verify some image"?

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2013-05-31

Apparently I missed your initial reply in which you noted that:

Doesn't work here. Assume because on 2nd page, there's a "secret image" that I must check a box, if it's the correct image. Once the box is checked, the PW entry box appears.

KeePass global auto-type sequences do not include provisions for IF-THEN logic (e.g. IF it's the correct image, THEN check the box). If your web page requires this kind of response then you must break the auto-type into two distinct sequences.

If each web page has a different Window Title then you can avoid the multiple choice dialog. However based on your description of what happens, you have have at least two matches to your Window Title. "Sign-on" is a very generic Window Title. If this is the full title then you could easily have a second match somewhere in your database. You can also end up with unexpected matches if the Title of the KeePass entry is contained in the Window Title and you have checked "An entry matches if its title is contained in the target window title" (see Tools>Options>Advanced(tab)>Auto-Type(section)).

It would be helpful if you post the exact, complete, window title of each web page that appears during login. Also post the exact Title of the KeePass entry, and the exact "Target Window" strings that you are using in the auto-type sequences.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-05-31
  • Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-05-31

OK, thanks. I'd HOPE that if there were multiple page titles "Sign-on," that KP would present all of them. There MAY be > one, but in this case (I assume because the Sign-on title is in the target window of auto type, it presents only the 2 custom sequences for that KP entry. Maybe not.

This is home page / login P.1 URL:
    https://www.smartcu.org/index_home.php
    Title P.1: "Smart Financial Credit Union - MEMBERSHIP EQUALS FREEDOM - Mozilla Firefox" (it's a LONG dash between "Union" & "MEMBERSHIP; that doesn't affect GAT on P.1)

Title P.2: "Sign-On - Mozilla Firefox""
    URL P.2: https://secure-smartcu.com/SignOn/Logon.aspx?mode=ExternalPost

Target Windows / sequences in auto type tab:
    "Smart Financial Credit Union - MEMBERSHIP EQUALS FREEDOM - Mozilla Firefox" - - {USERNAME}{ENTER}

"Sign-On - Mozilla Firefox" - - {PASSWORD}{ENTER}

When I open P.1 login from KP, hit GAT, it auto types username fine & returns, brings up P.2.
    On P.2 - I check the box "yes" beside the security image; then PW entry box appears, w/ cursor in it.
    I hit GAT again & it brings up ONLY the 2 choices (of custom sequences) for THAT entry - shown above. No others - whether other entries in DB have titles "Sign-On" or not.

Yes, I have "An entry matches if its title is contained in the target window title." That's the whole point. That's a global setting.
    No other, "An entry matches if..." settings are checked.

If I had other "Sign-On" entry titles or target windows / sequences, KP should show all those, when it pops the choice window, when P.2 appears. BUT IT DOESN'T So, either there aren't any others, or KP isn't finding / showing them.

If there AREN'T any other DB "Sign-On" entries, why the multiple choice on P.2 after hitting GAT?

Even if there WERE others, I put a sequence under THAT entry for "Sign-On," - - {PASSWORD}{ENTER}
    Shouldn't KP be smart enough to know, that ONE of the login pages that will appear, during THAT login sequence (pages) will have a title matching one entered in Auto Type's Custom Sequences, for THAT entry / login sequence?

And since the title / sequence is defined, when a page appears as part of THAT login, w/ a title matching "Sign-On", seems KP should use the defined sequence & not go searching the DB for others? It's defined right there.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-05-31

I've tested it on my system and it works as intended.
    One KP entry with the title "Smarty".
    Two Auto-Type target window sequences.

The only reason I can think for the pop up on page 2 is you have another entry in KeePass that has a target windows match for "Sign-on...". You only need one KP entry with a title of "Sign-on" and that will match, giving you two matches for your page.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-05-31

Edit:
    Thanks, Paul. I found what was different in my setup. It may point to a bug in KP.

I DID have another separate entry (for login P.2) w/ title "sign-on" & a sequence of {PASSWORD}{ENTER} that I forgot to delete (it had nothing in Target Window).

But, KP didn't show TWO choices for "sign-on" (w/ a sequence PW + Enter) in the pop up UI.

In the choice pop up - for P.2, it showed 1 choice under title column:
    "Smart Financial" (not "Sign-on") & sequence PW + Enter (that's confusing / misleading).
    The 2nd listing was from the other entry & DID show under the pop up's title column, "Sign-On."

KP's not showing what's in the Target Window (when values are present).

Maybe some way to have the info in choice pop up more clear - for 2 page logins, where page titles AREN'T the same?

Showing the P.1 title in the pop up, when it's NOW on P.2 w/ a different title seems confusing. Maybe need to add another column in pop up?

(KP)Entry Title (main); Page Title; Sequence; URL.
    Yes, there's a Notes column to add from the pop up UI Options.
    But, columns AREN'T sortable. If I have to rely on Notes (if no "Page Title" column), I'd want it near the Title column.

Pop up UI really should specify WHICH title - entry or page.
    You say they're the same? No, because it's showing under Title column, "Smart Financial" - not "Sign-On." It's showing the P.1 title, not current, P.2 title & sequence.

Last edit: Brittney Smith 2013-05-31
  • Paul
    Paul
    2013-05-31

But, KP didn't show TWO choices for "sign-on" (w/ a sequence PW + Enter) in the pop up UI
    The 2nd listing was from the other entry & DID show under the pop up's title column, "Sign-On."

Sorry, I'm not clear. Are you saying KeePass showed two items in the pop-up or only one?

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-05-31

"But, KP didn't show TWO choices for "sign-on" (w/ a sequence PW + Enter) in the pop up UI"

No - not two choices for the ONE KP entry, that has 2 separate target window / sequences, under autotype. BUT... it's also NOT showing the correct title NAME for P.2, in autotype entry selection.

It shows 2 entries. Yes, there was another (separate) "Sign-on" entry - let's ignore that for the moment.

The CLARITY of what it's showing is now what I'm questioning. This is partly the reason I didn't "catch it" sooner.

As said, I created one KP entry w/ 2 separate "target window" & sequence entries under Autotype.

One for P.1 login - titled Smart Financial... & seq. of username + enter.
    A 2nd target window entry for login P.2 (w/ different TITLE)of
    "Sign-On"; PW + Enter.
    AFTER GAT on login P.1 & it lands on P.2. Do GAT again & autotype entry selection pops up.

The active, focused browser window title is NOW "Sign-On," but KP doesn't show "Sign-On" in autotype selection UI, under the "Title" COLUMN.
    It shows the 1st page title name (which is same as title of the KP entry): Smart Financial.

It should be showing "Sign-On" - same as the ACTUAL page title (& the actual page title that I entered in the target window, for P.2).

See request https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/feature-requests/1737/

Last edit: Brittney Smith 2013-05-31
  • Paul
    Paul
    2013-06-01

I don't see the issue. The title is correctly displayed and the Auto-Type sequence is correctly displayed. The fact that you have a second entry is not KeePass fault and KP shows both entries to allow you to choose the correct one, giving the Auto-Type sequence as the identifier.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-06-02

Title is correctly displayed? How's that?
    The screen shows it clearly. Screen note explains the issue.

The correct title of the 2nd login page is "Sign-On," not Smart Financial.

The fact that KP displays the 2 options shows that it knows the correct title of the 2nd login page IS "Sign-On," but it's showing Smart Financial.

How is that correct? Maybe in Opposite World.
    The issue is, as I said, it's confusing (not to mention incorrect) to show an incorrect page title.

It's an issue of correcting how KP displays titles in the autotype entry selection, for 2nd, 3rd login pages. In this case, it recognizes it's now on the 2nd page, titled "Sign-on" - it just doesn't display that. Which should be an easy fix.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-06-02

KeePass shows Smart Financial because that is the title of the entry that matches the page Sign-on. KeePass then shows the Auto-type sequence that matches from that entry. Both of these are correct and it is up to you to do the interpretation.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-06-02

I don't know if you read the posts or looked at the screen shot. Respectfully, you're just repeating what I pointed out. I'm aware of WHAT it's doing; saying it should be CHANGED, as a new feature / fix.

"it is up to you to do the interpretation."

I disagree. There's no reason, here - for avg users - to "interpret" anything, if slight changes are made. Again, see linked feature request.

To show better, more clear data. Changes are suddenly made to countless apps, countless times, that have done things a "certain way" since their inception.

What it's showing on multi page logins w/ different page titles, is not clear at a glance, to avg users. There's absolutely no reason that KP can't (very simply) show the correct page title & sequence, for the page it's NOW on AND the associated main KP entry title.

Quite simply, the autotype entry selection needs (at least) 1 more column & renaming them. At least for multi page logins w/ different page titles, columns for:
    "KP Entry Title" (main KP entry)
    "Page Title (current)" (for current page of multi page login)

So avg users can EASILY see, THIS "Sign-on" page title & sequence goes with the site I just began logging on. No interpretation required. Along w/ another requested feature to make columns sortable.

Constantly (or finally), at users' requests or devs' decisions, someone says about apps,

"Hey - let's change the way (something's)been done for yrs, because it makes it more clear for users."

You're looking at things from an expert user's view point or "how things have always been." How some things appear to avg users vs. someone like you are entirely different.